Orange AD30

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Orange AD30

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Some may know some may not know but this is my current go to amp under my roof at the current moment. and while my big room in the basement is getting a face lift i moved my cab into my studio room where i have been playing with it for the last few hours. I thought i'd take some of gregs advice and try to dial in a tone with my ears THEN capture it later with a mic. Prior to this given how i had things set up i was doing all my tone dialing with the cab in the other room and mussing with the head in beside me in the daw room and running back and forth to change mic position to get my tone that way. It had mixed results.

today, i discovered something. I had my master up to 10, gain on 3 and i decided to go back to basics and turned the treble, mid and bass knobs to zero. to start searching again but,

No sound came out? barely any. As i turned the gain up a little more a little bit of sound came out. And then when i started turning the t,m,b knobs up the amp sprung to life like Frankenstein monster?>

What gives? Does anybody elses amps do that?
:happytrees:
miroslav

Re: Orange AD30

Post by miroslav »

So...you're saying that turning the tone knobs to "zero" effectively silences the amp...?

None on my amps do this...they will cut/boost...and at the extremes, some will do that substantially, others mildly...which is all about how the tone stack was designed to work...but they all still let a good amount of volume pass through.
I guess it is possible to design them to be 100% cuts at zero, which would make sense that you had no volume if all three are turned down.

Have you asked on the Orange forums (I don't even know if they have Orange forums :D)...?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

miroslav wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:02 pm So...you're saying that turning the tone knobs to "zero" effectively silences the amp...?
Yea pretty much. I made a a quick video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a33xv9g6i9x67 ... 2.mp4?dl=0
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's super duper weird. Which knob is that that finally cuts the volume? Do all three have to be zero'd to kill the amp? Will any knob drop the volume if the other two are turned down?

It's strange that that would happen. I don't know enough about amp circuits to explain this, but I don't think I've ever seen an amp do that before. To be honest though, I never turn anything to zero. :D

The EQ section on most amps is reductive in it's tone shaping, meaning it can't add anything, it only takes away, but I don't know that they're supposed to bleed off signal power.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

no, it's actually not that weird.

Some of your older Fenders did this too. I think a lot of the early blackfaces although I'm not exactly sure which ones
And a significant number of other amps did this too
It's true that it's not too common nowadays but it's not unheard of.

So in this sort of tone stack, each tone knob is essentially a volume control for that part of the spectrum .... and just like a volume knob, they start from zero.
So you have a level control for the bass .... level control for the treble .... and the mids if it has one.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This amp is super weird. I played with it some more over the weekend i didn't get the tones put up yet. I'll slam them up tonight. I'm going home at a normal hour tonight.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:40 am no, it's actually not that weird.

Some of your older Fenders did this too. I think a lot of the early blackfaces although I'm not exactly sure which ones
And a significant number of other amps did this too
It's true that it's not too common nowadays but it's not unheard of.

So in this sort of tone stack, each tone knob is essentially a volume control for that part of the spectrum .... and just like a volume knob, they start from zero.
So you have a level control for the bass .... level control for the treble .... and the mids if it has one.
My Princeton has always done it. They always have,Ive been through a few of them.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I was watching some videos about this here amp again last night before bed and some of the recomened fixes for the "darkness" that some people hear with the PPC412 could be semi-cured by using a PPC212 Open Back CAB.

Does the open back let some of the darkness and low end out? Why would this be a thing?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:38 pm I was watching some videos about this here amp again last night before bed and some of the recomened fixes for the "darkness" that some people hear with the PPC412 could be semi-cured by using a PPC212 Open Back CAB.

Does the open back let some of the darkness and low end out? Why would this be a thing?
No. An open back cab just fills the room more. They can sound more "open". It might sound louder and thicker to your ears in the room, but a mic on the grille will not care.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Weird i wonder why they would suggest that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:54 pm Weird i wonder why they would suggest that.
An open back cab does sort of "let the low end out", but it will make little to no difference to a close mic. It can make a big difference with a room mic.

Distance with a close mic can help tame darkness and proximity effect. Loudness, distance, and proximity effect are all related. If you're recording loud, backing the mic off the grill can significantly reduce woofiness and proximity effect....which will give brighter cleaner results sometimes. Go too far and you start to get room noise.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

actually an open back cab will alter the speakers frequency response compared to a closed back.
I'm talking the speaker itself ..... not the overall sound coming from the cab.

A closed back cab versus an open back will, in fact, even alter the impedance curve of the speaker itself.
So ir will sound different to a mic right on the grill because the sound of the driver will be different.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

All of this all makes sense but is also equally confusing. i think for the price though i won't go looking for one unlessi can find a resonably priced alternative. reverb has a PPC212OB currently listed for 500CAD. which his way better than a new price. meh, i just bitched about my 2018 being uber financially draining in another thread i don't need another cab unless i can rent it first lol.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I think that's a wise choice ...... way too much money to spend and then keep your fingers crossed.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:26 pm All of this all makes sense but is also equally confusing. i think for the price though i won't go looking for one unlessi can find a resonably priced alternative. reverb has a PPC212OB currently listed for 500CAD. which his way better than a new price. meh, i just bitched about my 2018 being uber financially draining in another thread i don't need another cab unless i can rent it first lol.
It's not worth it.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:38 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:26 pm All of this all makes sense but is also equally confusing. i think for the price though i won't go looking for one unlessi can find a resonably priced alternative. reverb has a PPC212OB currently listed for 500CAD. which his way better than a new price. meh, i just bitched about my 2018 being uber financially draining in another thread i don't need another cab unless i can rent it first lol.
It's not worth it.
:coolstorybro: :like: Thanks buddy.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

My days with this amp are numbered. Wheels are in motion to have it returned to it's owner. I will really miss it. I have offered to buy it off of him but i think he just wants it back. He is back home with all his buddies and jamming a bit again so i think it is inevitable it will be making the 6000km trek across canada to it's new home once a safe method is worked out.

I will have to start shopping around for a new cab for sure and maybe a new head. I still have my little Traynor Ironhorse amp. It's a good enough amp but it is a bit more flubby and grumbly than the Orange once i get the gain where i like it and loud enough to move air. We'll see what comes i guess.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:32 pm My days with this amp are numbered. Wheels are in motion to have it returned to it's owner. I will really miss it. I have offered to buy it off of him but i think he just wants it back. He is back home with all his buddies and jamming a bit again so i think it is inevitable it will be making the 6000km trek across canada to it's new home once a safe method is worked out.

I will have to start shopping around for a new cab for sure and maybe a new head. I still have my little Traynor Ironhorse amp. It's a good enough amp but it is a bit more flubby and grumbly than the Orange once i get the gain where i like it and loud enough to move air. We'll see what comes i guess.
Fucking hell, mate. You gave me a heart attack then... i opened the thread and saw posts by Miro!

How much would it be to just buy one for yourself?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:35 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:32 pm My days with this amp are numbered. Wheels are in motion to have it returned to it's owner. I will really miss it. I have offered to buy it off of him but i think he just wants it back. He is back home with all his buddies and jamming a bit again so i think it is inevitable it will be making the 6000km trek across canada to it's new home once a safe method is worked out.

Fucking hell, mate. You gave me a heart attack then... i opened the thread and saw posts by Miro!

How much would it be to just buy one for yourself?
I think to get this same rig new around 4100 CAD. To get this same model vintage (2008 brit made) would be alot of leg work and a bit more bucks.

Our local chain giant doesn't even have them anymore.

I also don't think i would be getting a 4x12 either. I think a 2x12 would more then suffice.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/55099/Guit ... r-Head.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/7776/Guita ... xt-Cab.htm
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

also sorry for the Miro jumpscare. 🤣