How to clean smudges

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
liv_rong

How to clean smudges

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L

Re: How to clean smudges

Post by Greg_L »

RigsofDad is one of the best things on the internet
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Can I make a plea to you all that when you do fix your smudges that you use a brand of household cleaner that DOESNT contain silicates.. It wont make a dimes worth of difference to you but to me or anyone who has to work on the finish in the future.....

Thanks for your help with this..
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

muttley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:44 am Can I make a plea to you all that when you do fix your smudges that you use a brand of household cleaner that DOESNT contain silicates.. It wont make a dimes worth of difference to you but to me or anyone who has to work on the finish in the future.....

Thanks for your help with this..
Actually I've been meaning to ask: do you have a recommended cleaner/polish for old nitro finishes? My Jazz is in desperate need of a cleanup but I'm hesitant to use just any old stuff lying around the house. I think I have some Martin brand polish around here somewhere but I've never actually used it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

:like: :lollers2: :lollers2:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I use my t shirt. No cleaners, polishes, or give a damn.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Thats about as much as you need. A soft cloth a bit of mild soap and water not too wet. Wipe it off quick. For stubborn marks a bit lighter fuel or naphtha.. Steer clear of any solvents on nitro..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The only thing I really clean on any of my guitars is pick dust and hand grime off the bridge. I hate pick dust. A blast of canned air takes care of that.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

You guys would hate my guitars. I have the worst face dandruff. Nothing i can do to make it better or less irritating. I can drink 100 litres of water a week and have tried ever face cream known to man and it just a thing. I have to dust my guitars pretty much every time i use them.

Disgusting.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I gig my guitar daily ...... I basically do nothing except haphazardly wipe it with a chamois maybe.

Ya'll would hate on me after seeing my gits but they're just tools to me ...... I don't much care what they look like ......
I make much more effort to keep hardware clean because it'll rust and not work properly.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think that stuff the guy in the video uses is pretty awesome. I might get some and try it on guitars I'm not fond of any more and see what they turn into...
muttley

Post by muttley »

Have none of you guys ever heard of cleaning off with talc... :guru:

Honestly... I give up.. :WTF:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

LOL I'll stop by the drug store on the way home and stock up on guitar cleaning talc!

Thanks fellas, sounds like a soft cloth just slightly dampened with soapy water is the ticket. I've got sweat and oil smudges all over that guitar (hey, it got hot in my old studio).