Build a 2X12 Cabinet.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Build a 2X12 Cabinet.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

In my ongoing ever growing list of projects i daydream about and need to make time for and start, i kind of think i want to add "build a cab" to the list. I think i'd like to have a cab with greenbacks in it to be the evil twin brother to the V30's i currently use. I don't really see the need of buying another 4x12. I don't play live. so a 2x12 might make more sense.

I may be able to rent a 2x12 with some greenbacks in it to see if i like the sound and how it gels with the v30's. I like the idea of building my own though just because why not. I wouldn't break out the tolex. I am fine with bare raw wood. This will never be moved around all that much, it'll likely only ever be a permanent fixture in hide-away.

What are some things that need to considered before possibly doing this? What are some things that could be added to a cab that could make it a bit more versatile / interesting? Would i be wasting my time?

Interested to hear what ya'll might think?
:happytrees:
einstein magoo

Re: Build a 2X12 Cabinet.

Post by einstein magoo »

"IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME"

DO IT!

Nothing more satisfying than building something and having it come out the way you envision it!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I don't know anything about cab design. I'd just suggest you build it big. A big 2x12 sounds great.

Just get online and copy some Marshall or Mesa specs.

Look up Avatar cabs and see if you can find some specs. The best 2x12 I ever heard was an oversized Avatar I used to have. Great cab.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I looked at doing this a while ago. Turned out it would be really expensive, cheaper to just buy a 212
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

This thread just makes me wanna go with 2x12 cabs that much more instead of my 4x12's....It really wouldn't save much space if any, but it would be pretty cool to me to match the mini-heads I have...I've drooled over this for quite a while, I'd probably trade the 4x12's I have for 2x12's if the right deal came along...

The experience I have with my ISO cabs make me think the sound difference between a 4x12 & a 2x12 would be pretty minimal, if any, unless it's a small cab...The 2061 style cabs are really cool IMO, but I'd take a "regular" 2x12 as long as the dimensions were 20" x 30" or so...

For me, it would be a lot better just to buy a cab instead of building one, but YMMV...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

One of these at the local shop here in town. rentable as well to test out. i may go snag it up today maybe. I have the vehicle for a chnage. I think it's a sign.

I'd still like to build one though dammit. :happytrees: :happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 pm One of these at the local shop here in town. rentable as well to test out. i may go snag it up today maybe. I have the vehicle for a chnage. I think it's a sign.

Check how cheap this is!
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton ... intage.htm
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

He already has V30s.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm sure they have other speaker options. That's just the one that comes up in my search history cos it's mine!
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 pm One of these at the local shop here in town. rentable as well to test out. i may go snag it up today maybe. I have the vehicle for a chnage. I think it's a sign.

I like the fact that cab has feet on 2 sides so you can set it upright, that's how I'd roll with it & my little amp anyway... :minernuggs:

I've thought about selling both my 4x12's in order to get a couple 2x12's...I really like the speakers in the EVH cab though...I really don't need 4 but I'm not sure anyone would buy it without 2 of the speakers... :biggrin:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I'm gonna go rent this tonight. :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:19 pm

I'm gonna go rent this tonight. :like:
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Well it's here and i gave it a quick 25 min test drive with the traynor. notice able difference to the 4x12 with the V30's. not sure i am crazy in love with the tone but it's only been 25mins.

More to follow.

I see this thing does have two panels on the back that come off to make it into an open back. that is kind of cool. I guess i need a better opportunity to capture some tones and really give it a good and fair trial run.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah, looks kind of small to me. Might just be the pic. Get some tones ASAP!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

What's the dimensions on it? Mine looks huge in comparison.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:47 am What's the dimensions on it? Mine looks huge in comparison.
Dimensions are in the link attached, but i'll post them here. Wouldn't want you limeys to have to have click more informational links than you have to.

I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if i had to put you out in such an unthoughtful manner. :lollers: :lollers:

JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:31 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:47 am What's the dimensions on it? Mine looks huge in comparison.
Dimensions are in the link attached, but i'll post them here. Wouldn't want you limeys to have to have click more informational links than you have to.

I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if i had to put you out in such an unthoughtful manner. :lollers: :lollers:

They're actually about the same volume give or take a few cubic cm. Yours is actually slightly bigger.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

This is the Avatar I had. I wish I still had it. It was almost as big as a 4x12.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That thing is huge dude. wtf.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:44 pm That thing is huge dude. wtf.
Yup, it was a biiiiig 2x12. Deep too. That's what she said.

Great cab. I traded it for a 4x12. I wish I had just bought the 4x12 and kept the 2x12.
Rebel Yell