Cool new Fender - the Meteora!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

Re: Cool new Fender - the Meteora!

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 am They are cool, to me they look a bit girly... and I have seen a few female guitarists playing them. Still think they're cool though.
They were designed with a female performer so that'd make your observation pretty accurate.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNPso72948[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool, I think I've seen Anna Calvi playing on one and a YouTuber called Mary Spender playing on one.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:41 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 am They are cool, to me they look a bit girly... and I have seen a few female guitarists playing them. Still think they're cool though.
They were designed with a female performer so that'd make your observation pretty accurate.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNPso72948[/BBvideo]
We need to get St Vincent over to the Tone Thread...
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

hearing that shit made me lose my enthusiasm for that guitar!

LOL
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm Strat headstocks are much worse than a tele.
I'm not a fan of the giant 70s Strat headstocks, but normal sized Strat headstocks look better to me than those retarded limp dick Tele headstocks.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I love the giant 70s headstocks. They are awesome, as was the 70s generally. :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Poor vid of a poor sound poorly played by Annie - her music sounds like that - I don't like it.
Here's a review..
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXmdPEfznwc[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Here you go Greg:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

What the bastarding fuck is going on there?
Haggard Musician :mad:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

lol at the circular swirl marks on the pickguard too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. That makes no sense whatsoever.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I love it
rayc

Post by rayc »

Distressed in areas unlikely to be exposed to excessive wear & not in otehrs that would expect some. Interesting concept. Well, not really.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

They're not cheap:
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-2018 ... on-meteora
I still think they're cool though. Although I'd like one with just a single P90 or Humbucker in the bridge and a T-o-M/stopbar.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:51 am They're not cheap:
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-2018 ... on-meteora
I still think they're cool though. Although I'd like one with just a single P90 or Humbucker in the bridge and a T-o-M/stopbar.
There's not a snowball's chance in hell I'm spending $2200 US on a fucking Fender unless it comes with a Les Paul.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I actually like Annie Clark (St. Vincent). Although shes always been just a little too avant garde for my tastes, but shes got some solid songs as well. I saw her play at Cains Ballroom in Tulsa (near my hometown) and she was a freaking rock goddess. She owned the stage. She even ended the show with a stage dive and surfed the crowd.

I have to admit that I like her Sig guitar. New shapes are tough. Guitar buyers are hugely conservative and nostalgic about their guitar shapes. Year after year the same shapes and ancient tech prevail and any innovation gets left by the wayside. Im the same way. I think her guitar is cool but I sure as hell don't have one hanging on my wall.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 am I actually like Annie Clark (St. Vincent). Although shes always been just a little too avant garde for my tastes, but shes got some solid songs as well. I saw her play at Cains Ballroom in Tulsa (near my hometown) and she was a freaking rock goddess. She owned the stage. She even ended the show with a stage dive and surfed the crowd.

I have to admit that I like her Sig guitar. New shapes are tough. Guitar buyers are hugely conservative and nostalgic about their guitar shapes. Year after year the same shapes and ancient tech prevail and any innovation gets left by the wayside. Im the same way. I think her guitar is cool but I sure as hell don't have one hanging on my wall.
I agree with all of that. She's not just some cute pop tart. She can play guitar very well and her songs are kind of interesting.

And her guitar is great. I think it's too small, but it's made to fit a tiny woman.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 am ...........

....this is true. I like to think I would have about the best understanding of guitar shape and form here when it comes to what curves work and what dont simply because of what I do. I would say this...

Most attempts to redesign what is done goes way to far from what is accepted. A curve only needs to be shifted a 1/4 inch or so to make a big visual difference. Most of what the main brands try to do is radically alter shapes. You dont have to, you need to identify which curves and corners need to move and do iot in very small increments to get where you want.

I'm doing a design right now for some one that wants an asymmetric style tele. I started with the tele outline and twisted it just a few degrees along its centre axis and it look nothing like a tele. I tinkered with the cutaway and slightly skewed a few other bits and it is barely recognisable and looks way more modern than you'd think..

...TL/DR.. Just move a few lines to any guitar outline slightly and you have a completely differant guitar shape. Too much and its pug ugly guaranteed.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Relevant to the topic, I just saw today: [BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHzPa0yFucs[/BBvideo]
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

muttley wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:54 pm
....this is true. I like to think I would have about the best understanding of guitar shape and form here when it comes to what curves work and what dont simply because of what I do. I would say this...

Most attempts to redesign what is done goes way to far from what is accepted. A curve only needs to be shifted a 1/4 inch or so to make a big visual difference. Most of what the main brands try to do is radically alter shapes. You dont have to, you need to identify which curves and corners need to move and do iot in very small increments to get where you want.

I'm doing a design right now for some one that wants an asymmetric style tele. I started with the tele outline and twisted it just a few degrees along its centre axis and it look nothing like a tele. I tinkered with the cutaway and slightly skewed a few other bits and it is barely recognisable and looks way more modern than you'd think..

...TL/DR.. Just move a few lines to any guitar outline slightly and you have a completely differant guitar shape. Too much and its pug ugly guaranteed.
I totally agree. It's funny how different the single-cut PRS and ESP shreddy guitars look compared to a Les Paul, yet the difference is actually pretty subtle on paper.

And, you know, the Flying V is just a smidge different than the Les Paul too :D

Actually while the Flying V isn't nearly as popular as the more traditional shapes, it is surprising that it's as popular and enduring as it is, given how radically different it is.