Cool new Fender - the Meteora!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Cool new Fender - the Meteora!

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:42 am

I'm wondering, is it because there isn't enough intonation adjustment on a standard T-O-M to cope with a 25.5" scale length?
I don't see why there wouldn't be. If the bridge is in the right spot, you don't need a whole bunch of adjustment room.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 am
Yeah, that's fair enough I suppose. I don't like the scale length of Gibson's so I'm always trying to frankenstein one into a Fender length guitar.
I'm the opposite. I don't like Fender scale lengths, and as far as I know the Jag is the only one with the Gibson scale length. The Jag has good looks, good pickups, and the right scale length for me. The Jaguar is literally the only Fender I look for when I go to guitar shops. I'll walk right past 100 Teles and Strats to get to the tiny handful of Jags hanging on the wall. And even then, half of those have a fucking humbucker in them. :facepalm:
Greg, have you seen these things?
https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept ... l-in-ebony
They're basically pedal money... stick another 100 quid on top you could put some half decent pickups in it and you know enough enough about setting up guitars to make it play well.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 am
Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:25 am I'm not a fan. It looks like the answer to a question that nobody asked. :frown:
The question was "how can you get Tele tones from a factory-Fender-made guitar that is not as ugly and mind numbingly boring as a Telecaster"?

So if this goes into production, I might get one. Now Fender is up to two guitars that I'd consider owning. Two! :eep:
Well, if you put it like that. I like standard teles personally. A few of my fave rockers use them. :D The Jag scale length is a full 3/4" shorter than the Gibson, but it's not a problem until you get to the high frets. My Jag isn't happy up there anyway, the 7.25 in fretboard radius is pretty chokey.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I didn't realise that you had a Jag. I like standard teles too.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:55 am I didn't realise that you had a Jag. I like standard teles too.
Yes, it's one of my guitars that I record the most. It's just so different to the others.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:55 am I didn't realise that you had a Jag. I like standard teles too.
Yes, it's one of my guitars that I record the most. It's just so different to the others.
Cool - chuck up a couple of pics when you get a mo.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 am
They're basically pedal money... stick another 100 quid on top you could put some half decent pickups in it and you know enough enough about setting up guitars to make it play well.
Yeah I've seen them. They're pretty junky. There's no real upside to getting one of those and fixing it up. I'd rather fix up a Chibson if I was gonna go that route.
Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 am

Well, if you put it like that. I like standard teles personally. A few of my fave rockers use them. :D The Jag scale length is a full 3/4" shorter than the Gibson, but it's not a problem until you get to the high frets. My Jag isn't happy up there anyway, the 7.25 in fretboard radius is pretty chokey.
Yeah I don't think Jags are perfect, but they're more like something I'd like to play than any other Fender. The Johnny Marr Jag is pretty fucking bad ass.

And what you just said is what's always had me torn on Teles. I fucking hate Telecasters, but I know a lot of dudes in my favorite bands use them. A lot of guitar sounds I like are done with Teles. Strummer, Frank Black, Olga...there's a long list of bands that feature Teles, and I like those bands, but I personally hate the guitar. I think they're ugly and clunky, the headstock looks stupid, they're just useless for me. Something that does "Tele sound" without being a Tele could be appealing for me.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 am
Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 am

Cool - chuck up a couple of pics when you get a mo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very nice. Love it. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's really nice.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 am
Yeah I've seen them. They're pretty junky. There's no real upside to getting one of those and fixing it up. I'd rather fix up a Chibson if I was gonna go that route.
Yeah - they are a bit low rent. I reckon there's definitely a market for something like that though but at about £250 quid, made in Indo or something.
Something that's actually a properly playable guitar and has serviceable hardware on it. Basically, squire standard stuff.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:42 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:34 am
They are shorter scale though aren't they? Like the Toronado
I'm wondering, is it because there isn't enough intonation adjustment on a standard T-O-M to cope with a 25.5" scale length?
All other things being equal, action, string gauge etc... you'd normally be fine. TBH sometimes you struggle with a tuno-matic on a 24 3/4 scale depending on action and string gauge.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 am ...Telecasters..I think they're ugly and clunky, the headstock looks stupid..
I agree about the headstock...that thing is ugly!

I built my tele-clone from a kit, with a "paddle"-shaped headstock blank that had to cut/shaped. I cut it to look like a Strat headstock.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:20 am I like it! :coolstorybro:

https://www.gearnews.com/fender-limited ... ches-namm/
i love everything about this except the neck, and headstock. Nice find Greg. :like: :like:
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Strat headstocks are much worse than a tele.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote:Strat headstocks are much worse than a tele.
Agreed.
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 am Just thinking actually, there's not that many Fender style/Fender length guitars with a T-o-M and very few, if any, made by Fender themselves.
I was thinking on this, then had an idea - it checked out. The Modern Player Jazzmaster is full Fender scale, but with a TOM.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Someone care to google tele ELITE series and tell me what sort of bridge that is - as in, what's it's official name? I have it on other guitars - just don't know what it's called, and it's not a standard tele bridge..
rayc

Post by rayc »

I rather like the Ernie Ball/Music Man St Vincent. I'd like it to have a single coil in addition to the humbuckers but it sounds good and looks pretty good.
mm st v.jpg
mm st v2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

They are cool, to me they look a bit girly... and I have seen a few female guitarists playing them. Still think they're cool though.