Cool new Fender - the Meteora!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Cool new Fender - the Meteora!

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Re: Cool new Fender - the Meteora!

Post by Tadpui »

I'm on the fence. It's a Jazzmaster on the front end, I-don't-know-what on the back end, and classic Telecaster in pickups and black-on-blonde color scheme. I'll have to go look at a few pics of them in other finishes to make a better judgement. I think I might like it in something other than the overt Tele colors. I feel like my blonde Tele is cringing right now :D
rayc

Post by rayc »

Looks cool - I'd like it with Dano Lipstick PUs.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Looks like the cutting jig went crazy on a batch of teles, and they had some excess strat necks and then the work experience kiddie said "I have an idea!"

But seriously, if it's a new line, I'm with Tad on the colours - it's classic Tele colour scheme - might have been a good opportunity to go totally wild and do some sparkle finishes or something...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I think its pretty cool too - I like the body shape and think its something they should keep and try a few different options. The way they have it right now doesn't quite work for me as it is.
I really like the 70s Jazz Bass style block inlays on the maple neck and I like that they're doing something new.
The strat headstock might be a little big for it, but its alright and a tele might look worse.
I'd prefer it with a different bridge and a bridge humbucker. I don't like the look of that bridge at all. Looks a bit like a tele bridge but somehow a bit shitter. A T-o-M might be cool like on the Toronado (my favourite quirky Fender)

Anyway, I like it and I like that they're actually bringing out something new looking instead of slightly altering a strat or tele for the millionth fucking time and telling us to be excited about it.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:20 am I like it! :coolstorybro:

https://www.gearnews.com/fender-limited ... ches-namm/

I like it too. :)
Looks very retro. Looks like something they could of come up with back in thr the early days, but it fits right in with modern times.

Hey, who knows, could be the Mandela effect in action. Fender 'always':had this design in production. Lol :D

I'm with Armistice on the colors.....would be cool with some sparkle.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just thinking actually, there's not that many Fender style/Fender length guitars with a T-o-M and very few, if any, made by Fender themselves.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This Fender would look cooler with a slightly less traditional headstock, similar to the one that Crimson do like this one of the left:
Or an old Honer Rockwood:
I think these designs would fit with the slightly angular body a little bit better.

The Fender purists are probably losing their shit already, a headstock change would probably drive them over the edge.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I'm not a fan. It looks like the answer to a question that nobody asked. :frown:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 am Just thinking actually, there's not that many Fender style/Fender length guitars with a T-o-M and very few, if any, made by Fender themselves.
I'm thinking Blacktop Jag, Modern Player Jag, Starcaster, this thing.... Owt else?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:28 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 am Just thinking actually, there's not that many Fender style/Fender length guitars with a T-o-M and very few, if any, made by Fender themselves.
I'm thinking Blacktop Jag, Modern Player Jag, Starcaster, this thing.... Owt else?
They are shorter scale though aren't they? Like the Toronado
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:25 am I'm not a fan. It looks like the answer to a question that nobody asked. :frown:
The question was "how can you get Tele tones from a factory-Fender-made guitar that is not as ugly and mind numbingly boring as a Telecaster"?

So if this goes into production, I might get one. Now Fender is up to two guitars that I'd consider owning. Two! :eep:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 am
Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:25 am I'm not a fan. It looks like the answer to a question that nobody asked. :frown:
The question was "how can you get Tele tones from a factory-Fender-made guitar that is not as ugly and mind numbingly boring as a Telecaster"?

So if this goes into production, I might get one. Now Fender is up to two guitars that I'd consider owning. Two! :eep:
What's the other one? A 'stang or something? I thought you'd like that Toronado thing - they're really rare though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 am
What's the other one? A 'stang or something? I thought you'd like that Toronado thing - they're really rare though.
Just regular ol Jaguars. Jags and this Meteora thing are the only Fenders I like. Well, I know I like Jags. I'm not sure about this thing. I just like the way it looks. It's gonna be the typical longer Fender scale-length though, which is not my thing.

I don't like that Toronado thing. It's stupid. A four-knob dual humbucker guitar with a tune-o-matic and a stop tailpiece? Where have I seen that before? :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

They finally had the chance to preposition the switch on tele based guitar and didnt do it.. :facepalm:

Dont like the inlays either. Way too lego for that type of guitar..
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 am I don't like that Toronado thing. It's stupid. A four-knob dual humbucker guitar with a tune-o-matic and a stop tailpiece? Where have I seen that before? :facepalm:
"Where have I seen that before?" That's why I thought you'd like it. Its like a cross between a Les Paul and a Hemi 'cuda
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:20 am That's why I thought you'd like it. Its like a cross between a Les Paul and a Hemi 'cuda
The way I see it, if I'm even entertaining the idea of buying a Fender, I don't want it to be like one of my Gibsons. I already have a pile of four-control dual humbucker tune-o-matic stop tailpiece guitars.

I do like the sound of Teles, I just hate the way they look and feel. Maybe this Meteora thing can do a Tele sound with better looks. Just from the pic I kind of like everything about it. It's got a 60s Jap knockoff look to it and I like that.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:28 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:20 am That's why I thought you'd like it. Its like a cross between a Les Paul and a Hemi 'cuda
The way I see it, if I'm even entertaining the idea of buying a Fender, I don't want it to be like one of my Gibsons. I already have a pile of four-control dual humbucker tune-o-matic stop tailpiece guitars.

I do like the sound of Teles, I just hate the way they look and feel. Maybe this Meteora thing can do a Tele sound with better looks. Just from the pic I kind of like everything about it. It's got a 60s Jap knockoff look to it and I like that.
Yeah, that's fair enough I suppose. I don't like the scale length of Gibson's so I'm always trying to frankenstein one into a Fender length guitar.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 am
Yeah, that's fair enough I suppose. I don't like the scale length of Gibson's so I'm always trying to frankenstein one into a Fender length guitar.
I'm the opposite. I don't like Fender scale lengths, and as far as I know the Jag is the only one with the Gibson scale length. The Jag has good looks, good pickups, and the right scale length for me. The Jaguar is literally the only Fender I look for when I go to guitar shops. I'll walk right past 100 Teles and Strats to get to the tiny handful of Jags hanging on the wall. And even then, half of those have a fucking humbucker in them. :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:34 am
Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:28 am

They are shorter scale though aren't they? Like the Toronado
I'm wondering, is it because there isn't enough intonation adjustment on a standard T-O-M to cope with a 25.5" scale length?