Cool new Fender - the Meteora!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

Re: Cool new Fender - the Meteora!

Post by rayc »

SweetDan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:17 pm Relevant to the topic, I just saw today:
It seems that everything ends with a sales pitch.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Greg - Hallmark review (lefty though).

Post by rayc »

Australian reviewer in Florida...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsOHSYE69VU[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Not too bad. I like the orange. He could have gone into more detail but he clearly had no idea what he had in his hands. Lol.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:49 am Not too bad. I like the orange. He could have gone into more detail but he clearly had no idea what he had in his hands. Lol.
That was how I felt. He didn't take it where it was made to go. Everything he does is blues rocked into place for his own comfort zone. Nice to see another one though.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

This guitar is becoming available now. I hate the price tag, but I really wanna get my hands on one.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:45 am This guitar is becoming available now. I hate the price tag, but I really wanna get my hands on one.
I suppose it's ideal for you, you love the sound of telecasters but hate the way they look.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:48 am
I suppose it's ideal for you, you love the sound of telecasters but hate the way they look.
But fuck....2Gs for a goddamn Fender. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:52 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:48 am
But fuck....2Gs for a goddamn Fender. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
It does seem steep when you consider that Leo Fender designed them to be cheaply and easily made!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:59 am
It does seem steep when you consider that Leo Fender designed them to be cheaply and easily made!
Look at what it is....it's a reverse Gibson RD

Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah. It is a bit! RD is another cool guitar.
I really like the RD Bass.

That RD really needs a hocky stick neck to look right.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That price tag is total bullshit. :dislike:

I have seen more afforadable tele abomination hybrids if you want or value my opinion. Though i think you (greg) are more into that for the body shape if i recall. I would have a very hard time parting with 2K for that.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:42 am That price tag is total bullshit. :dislike:

I have seen more afforadable tele abomination hybrids if you want or value my opinion. Though i think you (greg) are more into that for the body shape if i recall. I would have a very hard time parting with 2K for that.
Right. Tell me what you got in mind.

Two things I like about it: 1) The shape. I love offsets. I like the swoopy Jetsons look of that thing. 2) Tele tone potential while being nothing like a Tele.

I don't mind spending two grand on a great guitar. That's actually my longtime self-imposed limit on guitars. Anything past that IMO is not better. I think two grand is reasonable for a very well built and/or hand-fitted guitar with a set neck or neck through construction. I really struggle with $2k for some bolt-together Fender shit though.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am
Right. Tell me what you got in mind.
They have all been weird boutique guitars. Made by small builders just doing differentish stuff. I think i saw a Reverend surfy looking "special agent" guitar that looked like a Mosrite and squire had illegitimate child with tele p'ups. I tried to find a pic but i'm turning up nothing. It wasn't something you'd find easily in a guitar center. If i recall it was in the neighborhood of 1000 1500 USD

I had a buddy a bunch of years ago order a flying V style body from Warmoth with tele pick up routes. If you want to talk a bout a silly guitar that would have been it. He paid for it but that is one way to go too? Order a body you like and then have Mutt knock you up some tele pups?

In my own quests on reverb and other weird sites before i settled on that stupid guitar kit i have seen LP Junior Clone knock off jobies that are outfit with the telepick ups and they were really cool! Again, not readily available. If i was going to go out of my way to find a tele that is not a tele that is the direction i would look in. I could see you playing one of those Lp Jr Style teles. However i could also see you with this Meteora too.
Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am Two things I like about it: 1) The shape.
I figured this much. :lollers: :lollers:
Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am 2) Tele tone potential while being nothing like a Tele.
A tele tone is so basic by design you could put those pick ups on anything with a respectable neck scale and get the same results. It doesn't need to be a 2K+ off the shelf bolt on.
Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am I really struggle with $2k for some bolt-together Fender shit though.
Ditto.

I am not at all trying to change your mind either the Meteroa is very much a you guitar. I hope it didn't come out that way. I sincerely hope you find one to fingerbang. I would be genuinely curious to see if the test drive results line up with the price tag. For the amount i have been playing lately i'd be content with a Squier Tele :confused: .
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 am as far as I know the Jag is the only one with the Gibson scale length.
actually a Jag is shorter scale length than a gibby .... they're only 24 inches
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 am as far as I know the Jag is the only one with the Gibson scale length.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:30 pm

They have all been weird boutique guitars. Made by small builders just doing differentish stuff. I think i saw a Reverend surfy looking "special agent" guitar that looked like a Mosrite and squire had illegitimate child with tele p'ups. I tried to find a pic but i'm turning up nothing. It wasn't something you'd find easily in a guitar center. If i recall it was in the neighborhood of 1000 1500 USD

I had a buddy a bunch of years ago order a flying V style body from Warmoth with tele pick up routes. If you want to talk a bout a silly guitar that would have been it. He paid for it but that is one way to go too? Order a body you like and then have Mutt knock you up some tele pups?

In my own quests on reverb and other weird sites before i settled on that stupid guitar kit i have seen LP Junior Clone knock off jobies that are outfit with the telepick ups and they were really cool! Again, not readily available. If i was going to go out of my way to find a tele that is not a tele that is the direction i would look in. I could see you playing one of those Lp Jr Style teles. However i could also see you with this Meteora too.
Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am Two things I like about it: 1) The shape.
I figured this much. :lollers: :lollers:
Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am 2) Tele tone potential while being nothing like a Tele.
A tele tone is so basic by design you could put those pick ups on anything with a respectable neck scale and get the same results. It doesn't need to be a 2K+ off the shelf bolt on.
Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am I really struggle with $2k for some bolt-together Fender shit though.
Ditto.

I am not at all trying to change your mind either the Meteroa is very much a you guitar. I hope it didn't come out that way. I sincerely hope you find one to fingerbang. I would be genuinely curious to see if the test drive results line up with the price tag. For the amount i have been playing lately i'd be content with a Squier Tele :confused: .
Ha no worries. I'm definitely not buying one unless I get to manhandle one and run it through a proper Greg-style amp in person. It better be really good for me to pay $2k for one. The heavily laquered neck is already a huge turnoff for me and I haven't even touched one yet. I hate Fender's cover-everything fingerboard laquering. :facepalm:

I don't think it's simply Tele pickups though that makes the Tele sound. That terrible ashtray bridge and solid body has to have something to do with it too. Maybe the string-through. I don't know. Like I said, I like Tele sound, but don't like anything else about them.

There was also an offset Tele a few years ago that had a Jag body with Tele bridge and pickups. That might be something look for.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Right, and I'm okay with that. For me, shorter is better than longer.

That's what she said. Boom.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:46 pm I hate Fender's cover-everything fingerboard laquering. :facepalm:
Same. It's gross. I am with you there.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Shit I could just go with something like this.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... ingerboard
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:53 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Shit I could just go with something like this.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... ingerboard
I would in a heart beat. That thing is sexy. If i could find a lefty one without the maple fretboard i'd do it in a heart beat. I like that way more than the Meteora TBH. And i am 99% sure i saw something like those on one of our trips you took me on. I think the bigger one that had the the big freidman amp. Not the one that had the dirty Shirley. :like: :like: