Time to find a way to build the 335 with Mutt Pups

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
muttley

Re: Time to find a way to build the 335 with Mutt Pups

Post by muttley »

The real trick is to make sure the work piece is held securely and supported as close to the line as possible. Breakout happens because the tool sticks in the cut and "chatters". Scribing is kind of essential and I would do it in your case too Bob.. It takes not time and saves a lot of pain.

As a matter of interest how did the pup ring get broke? Would be good to know because as you know when we discussed it how I put them together was a bit of a concern. I knew they were going to be fragile but thought I'd given you the best option by making up a frame style ring rather than from one piece...
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

It broke simply putting it around the p'up.
One way it was cut too small ....... I didn't put even the slightest pressure ..... it was obvious it was too small but then I noticed it definitely seemed to have a top and bottom and looked liked it was cut with a slight angle which would make it only fit one way so I flippen it over and it slid right over the p'up ...... but then it fell part.
Absolutely no pressure on it at all .... what kind of glue did you use?
muttley

Post by muttley »

Yes they do have an angled internal face so they will only fit one way. Problem is that if you dont do that you end up with no room to drill the screw holes as they get too close to the edge. I used titebond original.. Only thing I can think of is that it was glue starved??? In other words too much squeeze out and not enough absorption. There is an end grain but on something that size it should be OK. Let me know and I can send over v.2...
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I will ...... first though I'm gonna glue it again
muttley

Post by muttley »

An old trick in the veneer game is to glue it to a paper backing. That would give it support.. Maybe worth a try.. Just wipe a thin layer of glue on the base and weight it down on some thin paper. When dry knife it clean.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

This looks like a cool project!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

muttley wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:12 pm . Scribing is kind of essential and I would do it in your case too Bob..
nah ..... not for this project which is all about minimal effort.
I'm using a brand new blade and will cut very slowly ..... I don't believe there will be much tear-out and I'm doing the cut where any tear-out will be on the back so who cares?
A little sandpaper will take care of it.
I'm getting ready to cut it in a few minutes so we'll know soon.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:22 pm
muttley wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:12 pm . Scribing is kind of essential and I would do it in your case too Bob..
nah ..... not for this project which is all about minimal effort.
I'm using a brand new blade and will cut very slowly ..... I don't believe there will be much tear-out and I'm doing the cut where any tear-out will be on the back so who cares?
A little sandpaper will take care of it.
I'm getting ready to cut it in a few minutes so we'll know soon.
:cool:

I would but its all good... Seriously scribing it even free hand would take about 30 seconds but I'm sure you will be fine.. :like:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Well, you're FAR overestimating how much I care about such things.
Anything that doesn't affect how it plays simply doesn't matter to me.
This isn't going to be a valuable guitar nor would I ever sell it anyways.

Especially the Mutt Pups ..... they're officially family heirlooms ..... maybe they'll go in something else down the line but right now they're going in this.
I place great value on anything I get from board members and custom wound p'ups?
Wow ..... that's awesome and I'll never get rid of them.

Plus, since I'm going for a raw wood nailed together look .... any flaws will simply fit the theme.

So I did the cut ..... you need to be sure to have the part you're cutting, in this case the head stock, solidly clamped to the coffee table, er ah, I mean workbench.
You also want to have it well lit and a nearby vacuum cleaner makes a good stand to clamp a light to.
Also you can use if afterwards to vacuum up the sawdust which you'll be able to see well because of the light!
:D

Most of you might use C-clamps or something similar.
BE SURE to pad the jaws of the clamp unless you want divots or tooth marks on your part.
In my case I had these nifty clamps I use for piano work that are all wood with cork jaws.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

So I did the cut ...... came out fine.
No tear out at all.
I'll go outside tomorrow and sand it as smooth as Greg's head and it'll be a nice basic simple headstock.

And why is the neck covered in packing foam?

Because KEEP YOUR DAMNED FILTHY MONKEY SKIN OFF THAT WOOD! that's why.
:)

Seriously ..... if you're gonna put any finish on it you have to keep skin oils off it.
They will absolutely cause all kinds of problems when doing the finish ..... even one as basic as I'm gonna do.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yep, simple, uncomplicated wins every time.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 pm Yep, simple, uncomplicated wins every time.
really, I mean .... how could I mess that up?

:sherlock:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Very cool Bob!!! This is exciting.

I have a question? how did the nut survive all the pressure? is that what the foam wrap was for? curious how you clamped it down to the table.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

there is no nut on it yet ..... so no problem.
Simply clamped the face of the headstock to the table.
I'll have to cut a nut ..... cheap git or not I'm not ok with a cheapo plastic nut.

and I explained the foam above ..... it's to "KEEP YOUR FILTHY MONEY SKIN OFF THE WOOD!!"

:lollers2: :lollers2:

So rather than wear gloves to keep skin oils off it I just left it wrapped and only pick it up with that.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm there is no nut on it yet ..... so no problem.
Simply clamped the face of the headstock to the table.
I'll have to cut a nut ..... cheap git or not I'm not ok with a cheapo plastic nut.

and I explained the foam above ..... it's to "KEEP YOUR FILTHY MONEY SKIN OFF THE WOOD!!"

:lollers2: :lollers2:

So rather than wear gloves to keep skin oils off it I just left it wrapped and only pick it up with that.
Ohhh i missed that somehow then. My bad!!!
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:23 pm
I'll go outside tomorrow and sand it as smooth as Greg's head
:mad3:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:23 pm I'll go outside tomorrow and sand it as smooth as Greg's head
haha, although I shouldn't laugh, I'm not far behind him! Not many things will look worse than a ginger bloke with monk hair.

Cheers though, Bob. I'm gonna be a lot more confident taking a saw to my guitar after reading this.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:08 pm

Most of you might use C-clamps or something similar.
BE SURE to pad the jaws of the clamp unless you want divots or tooth marks on your part.
In my case I had these nifty clamps I use for piano work that are all wood with cork jaws.

For anyone thats interested they are called cam clamps..
muttley

Post by muttley »

If you do get gunk on the neck give it a wash over with caustic before finishing...
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:23 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:23 pm I'll go outside tomorrow and sand it as smooth as Greg's head
haha, although I shouldn't laugh, I'm not far behind him! Not many things will look worse than a ginger bloke with monk hair.

Cheers though, Bob. I'm gonna be a lot more confident taking a saw to my guitar after reading this.
Boob is working with maple which is a little more forgiving than mahogany which you have I think. Just a heads up...