Time to find a way to build the 335 with Mutt Pups

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Re: Time to find a way to build the 335 with Mutt Pups

Post by Lt. Bob »

muttley wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:36 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:23 am

haha, although I shouldn't laugh, I'm not far behind him! Not many things will look worse than a ginger bloke with monk hair.

Cheers though, Bob. I'm gonna be a lot more confident taking a saw to my guitar after reading this.
Boob is working with maple which is a little more forgiving than mahogany which you have I think. Just a heads up...
Absolutely ..... in fact, when I was examining the results of the cut one thing that passed thru my mind was, "prolly wouldn't have been this smooth with mahogany"
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mine is actually a maple I think. It even says maple on it!

I think most PRSs are mahogany though which is why the maple ones are actually labelled.
muttley

Post by muttley »

So it's maple with a black finish?

You will know when you butcher it..:)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:53 pm So it's maple with a black finish?

You will know when you butcher it..:)
Yeah. Maple with a black finish.

Might try and sand the back of the neck down too but that's 2nd stage if I don't destroy it
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

:coolstorybro:

I'd take a saw to it in a heartbeat!

How ya' gonna learn if you don't do?

Guitars (and pianos) are merely mechanical devices .... we don't think of them like that because they're wood but that's all they are .....
Mechanical/Acoustic interfaces.
If you were to have a jagged end on a headstock, what difference would that really make?

I have a git I built 35 years ago ..... I may have a pic of it.
It's a Strat made of really cool wood .... a matching paduak neck and body ..... early EMGs in it.
When I drilled the holes for the tone controls there was a BIG tear out by one of them.
At the time I had no guitar and a 6 day a week gig starting in about 3 days so I was in a rush and simply finished (clear ) over the tear out.

It's a pretty large chunk missing but to this day I've never fixed it ..... what difference did it make?
None.
And I learned a LOT! I've never done that again!
:)

Would I rather I hadn't done that and the git was perfect?
Of course ...... but shit happens and you learn from it ....
I know you've learned some things that exact way and want to help others avoid those issues.

But I feel like you learn better by being the one who makes the mistake and also while I love a beautiful guitar ..... they're just tools to me.
I only care about how well they do their job.
If their job is to be lovely then fine.
That's an acceptable purpose and they certainly are (or can be) works of art worthy of staring at simply for that.

But mine exist for the purpose of making noise ....... I don't needlessly bang them around but if I knock a divot out of one turning around too fast in tight quarters I don't give it the least little thought.
If they're not dinged up ...... I'm not using them.
muttley

Post by muttley »

"The man who never made aa mistake never made anything"
"Good enough aint good enough"
"Only a fool makes mistakes by mistake"

...and many more I have heard over the years. All contradictory and all true, but "be the best you can be and do the best you can do" is right up front.

I'm gonna print off your post above and show it to my moaning bitching customers and tell em LT said so...;)

Its all good man, I view guitars as air moving machines too but a workman who doesnt take pride in his tools rarely takes pride in his work either. Not saying thats you but Ive seen it a lot over the years. The trick is knowing which corners you can cut and which corner you cant cut..(no pun intended)

Anyway it's a PRS, if it was me I'd take an angle grinder to it... :cool: :nyuk: :lollers2:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Mind you I'm exactly like that with cars. I ding them all the time and couldnt give a fuck. Some people round here spend more time cleaning them than driving them. Sad people...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:09 pm Anyway it's a PRS, if it was me I'd take an angle grinder to it... :cool: :nyuk: :lollers2:
Exactly. And it cost me 200 quid. It's not like it's worth anything to sell.

Anyway. Enough of hijacking bobs thread. I'll start my own thread when the butchery begins. Nice to see bob do it first though.
muttley

Post by muttley »

I'm sure Lt dont mind. He's just an old curmudgeon like me really....:)
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

yeah ..... threads are another thing I don't think needs to remain perfect ..... you can 'hijack' to your hearts content ..... I consider threads to be conversations which will morph all over the place.

muttley and I are a LOT alike and I know he recognizes that ...... we can disagree and bust each others balls but I'm positive he knows where I'm coming from and means nothing bad and I don't take it like that.
He's a teacher and can't help trying to teach the very best ways to do things he's an expert in.
I respect his skills very much and understand he knows his shit which is why he's one of the few I'll ask questions of.
Just like greg is who you want to ask about drums, mutt is the guy on guitar work and he'll always tell you the expert way to do things and why you should restrict yourself to doing things that way.

I feel no such impulse ..... I'm not gonna lie and tell you I did it differently than I did.
I don't HAVE a workbench in this house so I use what's handy.

I don't unnecessarily ding up stuff and am not careless about doing things.
I'm a first rate piano repairman where I'm working on other people's pianos.

I was quite careful about cutting that headstock, I assure you .... coffee table workbench and vacuum lightstand notwithstanding ..... I'm just having some fun with this and it's not for sale ...... it's not for anyone but me .... I'm not a workman who doesn't have pride in his work.

What I'm working on is a playable instrument that I'm casual about having a rough look to ..... the parts that affect how it plays I'll be quite careful about.
Also understand ...... I'm a person that doesn't give the slightest crap about what anyone thinks of what I do.
I prove myself everytime I play ...... THAT'S the pruduct I take pride in and make sure is the best in the room.

If I had a need to do a finish-perfect art guitar I would do so and am capable of doing so ..... but I don't feel a need to build to someone else's standards ..... I'm the guy that'll be playing this guitar so i'll make it how I wish.
mutt will never hold it in his hands so I'm not building it for him.

I'm building it for me and NO ONE gets to tell me what I should care about ...... they are free, of course, to not like it but when I'm thru I'm 100% positive mutt will approve of the results even if he wants to point out the way I achieved it was stupid.

:lollers: