Anyone want a 2x12?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Anyone want a 2x12?

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
jonny deep

Re: Anyone want a 2x12?

Post by jonny deep »

Hmm, I wasn't interested until I saw it has a Tone FOucus baffle.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Baby boomer trying to sell off assets before he dies? Too heavy to lug around to a gig.
LOL - EV speakers? I'm sure it's nice but not THAT nice.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

gotta be those old EV SRO speakers.
I had four of them in a 4x12 for bass ....... one man couldn't make it budge.

LOL .... one time we were loading off stage at an outdoor festival .... it was kinda muddy so we couldn't get the truck near the stage.
A big ol' redneck came up and said, "hand that thing to me" as we were wrestling it to the edge of the stage.
We tried to tell him it was too heavy repeatedly but he insisted "It's just a speaker cab .... I got it!"

So we handed it to him ....... lol. it drove him into the ground!

:lollers2:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I watched a video on YT the other day where a guy played with an Overdrive Special for 20 minutes or so. I have to admit that it sounded really really good. I don't think that it sounded like $100K, but it did sound great.

I figure that Bonamassa will purchase this cabinet before the end of the day :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

There's nothing about that cab that should make it cost $450, never mind $45,000.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

yeah, collector prices are stupid.

As for how it sounds ...... if you're a shitty player it sounds like shit ..... a good player thru a Champ'll sound better
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I have been thinking about downsizing my cabs to a couple 2x12's, but not like that...

I've been looking at the 2061-style cabs that Sour Mash makes, which are around $300 each like this:

Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Man...all his shit is WAY overpriced....but hey, that front baffle makes the $45,000 almost tempting.

:facepalm:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:07 pm I have been thinking about downsizing my cabs to a couple 2x12's, but not like that...

I've been looking at the 2061-style cabs that Sour Mash makes, which are around $300 each like this:

I see the Marshall 2x12s all the time. They're so cool, but they don't really save much space or anything.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:37 am I see the Marshall 2x12s all the time. They're so cool, but they don't really save much space or anything.
Yeah, the size of those 2x12's are about as big as a 4x12, but I really like how they look, they're fuckin' cool man...Getting 2 of those (slant & straight) was one of my ideas/plans before I had to start over when 2015 happened...I was planning on having a Greenback/65 cab & a V30/G12H or similar combination using the bastard speakers I've accumulated over the past few years...They'd probably sound good recorded because they're as big as a 4x12, but again it's mostly because they look cool...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

They do look cool as hell, and probably sound great too. I really liked my Avatar 2x12. It was almost as big as a 4x12 and sounded great.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 am They do look cool as hell, and probably sound great too. I really liked my Avatar 2x12. It was almost as big as a 4x12 and sounded great.
Yeah man, I figured since they were as big as a 4x12, they'd record well...Maybe some day dude, I'd have to move before I could do any serious loud recording, & if/when that ever happens, I've already got a full stack, so...

I'd consider trading my 4x12's for a couple of those, but it'd be empty cabs for empty cabs...Even though I have 5 bastard speakers, I don't think I'll ever get rid of any of 'em, they're all broken in & sound great...Those speakers are as special to me as my Lester...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Buyer pays all shipping.
On a 45k amp? That's just petty!

Better pitch:
This is the real deal. An actual dumble. It's heavier than the specs say it should be, but the diamond smuggler I bought it from assures me it's legit. lol idk
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 am They do look cool as hell, and probably sound great too. I really liked my Avatar 2x12. It was almost as big as a 4x12 and sounded great.
Not to derail the thread too too much, but i have a question here!

What did you notice was the biggest difference between a 2x12 and 4x12? I ask becasue i am debating on possibly getting a 2x12. no idea whwre to start shopping.

i sort of remember your avatar and it didn't really sound awful. however (and don't shoot me for this next comment) when i was demoing a sim for recording the same brand 2x12 and a 4x12 cab with the same (virtual) speakers, same (virtual) mics and same (virtual) mic placement produced very different tone colorings? IS this accurate? What i mean to say is is it accurate in the sense that a 2x12 and 4x12 will sound largely different close mic'd when they are nearly identical?

I'm not 100% sold on the idea yet but it was something i have been considering the last few months. After seing the reasonable price of this 2x12 in this OP i am having reservations about looking. they seem pricey. :spacepalm: :lollers2: :lollers2: :dislike:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 pm Not to derail the thread too too much, but i have a question here!

What did you notice was the biggest difference between a 2x12 and 4x12? I ask becasue i am debating on possibly getting a 2x12. no idea whwre to start shopping.

i sort of remember your avatar and it didn't really sound awful. however (and don't shoot me for this next comment) when i was demoing a sim for recording the same brand 2x12 and a 4x12 cab with the same (virtual) speakers, same (virtual) mics and same (virtual) mic placement produced very different tone colorings? IS this accurate? What i mean to say is is it accurate in the sense that a 2x12 and 4x12 will sound largely different close mic'd when they are nearly identical?

I'm not 100% sold on the idea yet but it was something i have been considering the last few months. After seing the reasonable price of this 2x12 in this OP i am having reservations about looking. they seem pricey. :spacepalm: :lollers2: :lollers2: :dislike:
Even close mic'd there are differences between 1x12s, 2x12s, and 4x12s. I think it's probably the volume of space within the cab. I don't know the audio science behind it, but bigger 2x12s sound better to me, and 4x12s sound better than all of them. But you can get pretty damn close to 4x12 sound with an oversized 2x12. The lows and mids just seem deeper but tighter with a bigger cab.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WJ I now use an oversize 2x12. You could get one of those. It was pretty cheap too.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:35 pm WJ I now use an oversize 2x12. You could get one of those. It was pretty cheap too.
I will have a look around. I would want an over sized one i think, physics being what it is. Compact seems, less than good. I think traynor do make respectable 2x12's. I will have a look and see what they offer.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:05 pm

I will have a look around. I would want an over sized one i think, physics being what it is. Compact seems, less than good. I think traynor do make respectable 2x12's. I will have a look and see what they offer.
The important part is the speakers. 2x12 is great and all, but no 2x12 is worth a damn with shit speakers in it.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:05 pm

The important part is the speakers. 2x12 is great and all, but no 2x12 is worth a damn with shit speakers in it.
Oh, 100% agreed. if it is an "inhouse" type of brand i will replace them something else. speakers are alsoa mystery to me really but i got V30's in the organge and they are great but i'd probably grab something else.

Some salt for my pepper if you will. :like: