Amp Shortist

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Amp Shortist

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:13 pm It's basically the EVH 5150.
Oh. No real clean channel then. Figured it would be kind of more Mesa-ish but without the price tag.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm Fricker is a fucking tool and his metal-only-all-the-time shit only makes it worse.
Ah, he's an amusing distraction!

Yeah, its all metal-centric, but lots of what he talks about can be applied elsewhere too... and he does concentrate on the importance of practice, learning your parts and getting a good performance which can't be repeated enough... particularly these days!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:05 am
Ah, he's an amusing distraction!

Yeah, its all metal-centric, but lots of what he talks about can be applied elsewhere too... and he does concentrate on the importance of practice, learning your parts and getting a good performance which can't be repeated enough... particularly these days!
That is true. His "message" is solid. I just can't sit through his dumb fat hair flipping rants anymore.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:40 am That is true. His "message" is solid. I just can't sit through his dumb fat hair flipping rants anymore.
Yeah, his reparte is getting a bit samey.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am
Yeah, his reparte is getting a bit samey.
I don't want heavy guitar tone, I want good guitar tone. He offers nothing to me.

He does a great job with drums. I wish he'd spend more time on that, but I know none of his audience has never ever placed a mic on a drum, or looked at a drum, or knows how to play drums.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:04 am He does a great job with drums. I wish he'd spend more time on that, but I know none of his audience has never ever placed a mic on a drum, or looked at a drum, or knows how to play drums.
Yeah - there's some stuff and techniques in drum processing that I also find applicable to MIDI drums but (aside from the performance aspect) it will never sound as good as a proper kit.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Here ya go Jdude...The main differences between this amp & my Mini Jubilee is the power tubes, the 3 toggle switches, & about a $500 difference in the price tag IIRC...I think he has this priced the same as the 2202, which is about $650 or so, shipped, which is about half what you'd pay for a new Marshall 2525H...

I'm guessing the 2 of the 3 toggles are the channel & rhythm clip switches, but I'm not positive...

The thing I'm not sure about is the Ceriatone uses 6V6's, & the Marshall has EL34's...While I'm sure the 2202 or his 2525 would be great little amps, I'm just not sure about the 6V6 power tubes...

I've asked Nik again about using the EL34's in his lower-watt amps, but haven't heard much about it...I'm sure it'll happen in time, it may cost a bit more, but it'd be worth it to me as long as it wasn't a huge jump in price...

Plus with Marshall making low-watt, EL34 amps that are a lot cheaper than the 2525H, I think Nik/Ceriatone will about have to go the EL34 route eventually...

Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers Miner, that looks cool as fuck. Would probably cost a fortune to ship it to the UK though and the Mini-Jube is £700 quid here.

Unless I hate it when I play though it next, I think I am pretty much sold on the H&K amps though. They just seem to offer all of the versatility I need in my recording situation.

The main thing I'm concerned about is the clipping they have in the gain stage. Its like having a built in boost - which is fine for what it is. But recently I've got in the habit of using different drive pedals into the front of my amp to give it a bit of a different voice. Not sure this would work well if there's already a built in boost in the amp.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:07 am

The main thing I'm concerned about is the clipping they have in the gain stage.
That can't be on every channel though. Use a channel that bypass the clipping.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:03 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:07 am

The main thing I'm concerned about is the clipping they have in the gain stage.
That can't be on every channel though. Use a channel that bypass the clipping.
Yeah. I'm gonna spend a good while cycling through everything with my guitar, board and cab.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I'm not sure how much shipping would be for you Jdude, but I think it's free...Don't take that as a fact though because I'm not sure....

Here's the Ceriatone AH, which is supposed to be a Friedman Brown Eye clone, for about $1600 (roughly half the cost of the Friedman):

Nik replied to my question about using EL34's in his low-watt amps, & basically told me it ain't gonna happen...So, I'm not sure if I'll take a chance on one of his 6V6 amps or not...I'm sure they would sound great, but if the new lower watt Marshall amps with EL34's are anything like the Mini Jubilee that's probably the route I'll take...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Why would he not use one of the most popular power tubes ever? He makes all these Marshall clones and doesn't use the Marshally-est tube there is? Makes no sense!
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Yeah, 6V6 tubes for a Marshall clone? Doesn't that just make it a Fender clone instead?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Well, the 6V6 is kind of like a mini version of a 6L6, and 6L6 is nearly the same as a 5881, and 5881s came in some JCM 900s, so....there ya go. Six degrees of separation kind of makes it a Marshall tube!
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:18 pm Why would he not use one of the most popular power tubes ever? He makes all these Marshall clones and doesn't use the Marshally-est tube there is? Makes no sense!
I dunno dude, here's his reply when I asked about using EL34's in his low-watt amps like the 2202, 2525, etc...I asked him if it was due to the price, & even told him I'd pay a little more for EL34's, but here's what he said:

"The JJ 6v6s are about same price as the E34Ls. So thats not the reason. In those other amps, the EL34s are ran lower voltage, most likely. The ratings of the transformers also need to be looked at, although the lunchbox trans should be able to take em. Most importantly, why would we want to cannibalize the sales of the higher ticket items, doing that?"

So, while I know his Chupacabra amps are killer, I just don't think I'll ever own any of his low-watt amps (which is specifically what I'm after, the Mini Jubilee hit a home run for me), unless he uses EL34's...From what I get from his reply is he doesn't want his big amps' sales to decline, but I don't think he realizes how many amps he could sell with the EL34 power section in the low-watters...Either that, or he just doesn't care, I dunno...

In short, the new Marshall amps are pretty high on my list right now mainly because of the way they've went with EL34's, & the price of the DSL/Origin amps are pretty reasonable to me...I know the Chupacabra would smoke either the 20w DSL or 50/20w Origin, but, I could have both for the cost of a Chupacabra...Again, I know the Chupa will smoke either, but the price factor is pretty important to me...Whether the Chupa is twice the amp as both the DSL/Origin or not I suppose comes down to the individual...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just watched the first review of these:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/marshall-or ... e-amp-head
They sound really good.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I WAS gonna start looking for a Carvin V3 micro ..... should be a lot like a Mesa.

But now Greg's gonna build my next amp.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Minerman wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 pm

So, while I know his Chupacabra amps are killer, I just don't think I'll ever own any of his low-watt amps (which is specifically what I'm after, the Mini Jubilee hit a home run for me), unless he uses EL34's...
if you use EL34s in a low wattage amp, you're not going to be driving the tubes like you do in the higher power amps so you're not gonna get that EL34 sound that you think you're gonna get.
EL34s are good for about 25 watts per tube so how you gonna use that in a low wattage amp?
You're gonna run it in triode mode or lower the voltage to it or both.
That's gonna change the sound.

That's why NO ONE uses EL34s in a low wattage amp .... EL34s are not low wattage tubes.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:53 pm if you use EL34s in a low wattage amp, you're not going to be driving the tubes like you do in the higher power amps so you're not gonna get that EL34 sound that you think you're gonna get.
EL34s are good for about 25 watts per tube so how you gonna use that in a low wattage amp?

That's why NO ONE uses EL34s in a low wattage amp .... EL34s are not low wattage tubes.
Some dudes are starting to figure out ways to lower the voltages everywhere and still have EL34s run in in full pentode linear mode and not have the bias go haywire. I'm not quite understanding it myself, but it's happening. If you cut the plate voltage by like half and can reliably drop voltages elsewhere by appropriate percentages and keep the bias working, it can work. Most amps are doing it via switch and what it is is what it is. London Power Scaling is doing it with a pot and that's some witchcraft.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:18 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:53 pm if you use EL34s in a low wattage amp, you're not going to be driving the tubes like you do in the higher power amps so you're not gonna get that EL34 sound that you think you're gonna get.

Some dudes are starting to figure out ways to lower the voltages everywhere and still have EL34s run in in full pentode linear mode and not have the bias go haywire. I'm not quite understanding it myself, but it's happening. If you cut the plate voltage by like half and can reliably drop voltages elsewhere by appropriate percentages and keep the bias working, it can work. Most amps are doing it via switch and what it is is what it is. London Power Scaling is doing it with a pot and that's some witchcraft.
Yes, the voltage drop/power scaling thing seems to work pretty good on my Mini Jubilee, of course it's still a loud 20w tube amp, but it's nothing compared to the 100w DSL I had by any means, as far as sheer volume...

I think, or hope anyway, with time more folks are gonna figure out the power scaling thing to make it much better...My original plan was to buy an attenuator, then buy a couple/few of the "big boy" amp heads, but I'm really interested in these new low-watt EL34 amps...

As much as these guys irritate me, this video of the new Marshall Origin amps gave me a better idea of what they're like...Just like I thought, they're not high-gain amps, but more old-school classic rock sounding amps & I'd have to use a pedal to get the hair metal gain I'd use for some of the stuff I do, but that'd be ok too, as I'd already planned on a small pedalboard...

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hft3B6D1Gj4[/BBvideo]

I wish they'd spent more time with the 50w head, 4x12 & LP...There will be more clips/videos at time passes & these amps haven't even arrived here in the US yet...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH