Amp Shortist

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Amp Shortist

Post by Greg_L »

Nope
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 am
Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:29 pm

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
You know I actually have a Peavey Bandit right?
:sherlock: :sherlock: :sherlock: :sherlock: :sherlock: :sherlock: :like:

I didn't know this but it doesn't surprise me. It is the epitome of metal kids getting started playing metal. every band i was ever in between the ages of 14 and 21 at least one member had a Peavy something or other. Hell even my dad had a Peavy twin Chorus that we used to use for vocals or guitars occasionally.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm

I didn't know this but it doesn't surprise me. It is the epitome of metal kids getting started playing metal. every band i was ever in between the ages of 14 and 21 at least one member had a Peavy something or other. Hell even my dad had a Peavy twin Chorus that we used to use for vocals or guitars occasionally.
I had a Peavey Basic 50 - a bass amp, a Boss DS-1 - the worst pedal ever, and an assortment of cheapo Strat copies. And we practiced in a shipping container. Seriously. I'm sure you can imagine what a Strat through a DS-1 into a SS bass amp sounded like in a shipping container. :shit:

But it was punk as fuck. I didn't know any better, and didn't care anyway. I wish I was still like that most of the time.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 am
You know I actually have a Peavey Bandit right?

Its actually not that bad at all really. Aside from the inerrant spikiness of playing a solid state amp, it doesn't sound that bad at all - I think I generally play it now just to have "a sound" when I'm away during the week. I have it set up with a slight crunch on the amp and add varying amounts of slight crunch over the top from my OCD clone.

You just can't turn up the levels with a pedal to push it an compress it like you can with a tube amp - it just gets really fucking loud!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:03 pm

I had a Peavey Basic 50 - a bass amp, a Boss DS-1 - the worst pedal ever, and an assortment of cheapo Strat copies. And we practiced in a shipping container. Seriously. I'm sure you can imagine what a Strat through a DS-1 into a SS bass amp sounded like in a shipping container. :shit:

But it was punk as fuck. I didn't know any better, and didn't care anyway. I wish I was still like that most of the time.
Peavy Bass amp
Strat (copy?)
Shipping container
DS1

I actually think the DS1 would have been the "least worst" part of your sound!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:08 pm
Peavy Bass amp
Strat (copy?)
Shipping container
DS1

Well, sort of, but when I'd kick it off for surf punk madness, the clean sound through the bass amp sounded pretty awesome in the shipping container. It was like the biggest plate/room metallic reverb on earth.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:13 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:08 pm
Peavy Bass amp
Strat (copy?)
Shipping container
DS1

Well, sort of, but when I'd kick it off for surf punk madness, the clean sound through the bass amp sounded pretty awesome in the shipping container. It was like the biggest plate/room metallic reverb on earth.
haha, excellent.

I suppose thats one of the saving graces of the DS1 - its so "wet" sounding and colours the sound so much that it kind of becomes your entire sound - pretty much everything else is irrelevant once you stand on it.

Maybe that's why they were so popular, they make any old shite rig sound like any other rig with a DS1 in it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:15 pm
haha, excellent.

I suppose thats one of the saving graces of the DS1 - its so "wet" sounding and colours the sound so much that it kind of becomes your entire sound - pretty much everything else is irrelevant once you stand on it.
Yes, the best thing about the DS-1 is turning it off.

But then I stepped up to a ProCo Rat. That was only slightly less terrible. I still have that Rat.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm my dad had a Peavy twin Chorus
I had that amp back in the 90s and I loved it. It was Peavey's answer to the Roland JC-120.
Haggard Musician :mad:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:26 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm my dad had a Peavy twin Chorus
I had that amp back in the 90s and I loved it. It was Peavey's answer to the Roland JC-120.
yes exactly right. It wasn't that bad of an amp. the reverb tank in ours shit the bed and we didn't bother to ever fix it which was a shame. The amp still lives at my homestead in eastern Canada. it's tucked away in a closet. I am sure it works still but both speakers need to definitely need to be replaced. they are both blown. :like:
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

20180130_190703.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Sidweays
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Glenn Fricker has actually just tested the 20W version and he's even posted up the stems for the track he did for download:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WdQsGu ... e=youtu.be
I'm gonna have a mess about with them, but in case anyone is interested I've posted them here too.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:17 pm

Yes, the best thing about the DS-1 is turning it off.
:lollers2:

so true
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:43 pm Glenn Fricker has actually just tested the 20W version and he's even posted up the stems for the track he did for download:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WdQsGu ... e=youtu.be
I'm gonna have a mess about with them, but in case anyone is interested I've posted them here too.
I saw that video this morning & immediately thought about you dude...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Talking about Peavey amps got me thinking.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/peavey-6505 ... gLThvD_BwE
Anyone got any knowledge of the 6505 mini head?
It's cheap and seems to have a lot of features.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It's basically the EVH 5150.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

When I was in the Naked Igwanaz prior to Pygmy Beat Terry, sax n bvox, bought a Peavey Bandit. He was so fed up with the everything louder than everything else balance that was only worsened by the vocalist/rhythm guitarists dominance in any PA mix, that he ran separate vocal & sax mics to the Bandit for extra oomph. As you'd imagine, it made everything worse and everyone tried to get louder still. He still has the amp, (bought in about 85), we ended up using it for reverb in PB.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

I watched Fricker's friend dicker through the H&K. Hmm, it really makes me feel old when I hear something like that and can't find anything in it I can relate to/enjoy. It was am amp etc but I wouldn't know if it was a sim due to all that top end fizz. The necessity to throw in a squealy note here & there perplexes me and reminds me of The Osmonds at the same time.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXcj8dFOd1E[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Fricker is a fucking tool and his metal-only-all-the-time shit only makes it worse.
Rebel Yell