Amp Shortist

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Amp Shortist

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 am The Jubilee has a great clean channel.
Yeah, I like the rhythm clip on it too.

Actually, Greg. You and Bubba probably know more about my music than any other people - I seem to range from the poppy side of punk, through hardcore, to more slowed down grungy stuff. What would you get out of a H&K Tubemeister 40, DSL20, mini-Jube or MK2 Blackstar 50?

Given that my priority is recording over live (although all would be fine for any live stuff I would do) and recording in silence at night/dawn is a bonus for me.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:58 am
Yeah, I like the rhythm clip on it too.

Actually, Greg. You and Bubba probably know more about my music than any other people - I seem to range from the poppy side of punk, through hardcore, to more slowed down grungy stuff. What would you get out of a H&K Tubemeister 40, DSL20, mini-Jube or MK2 Blackstar 50?

Given that my priority is recording over live (although all would be fine for any live stuff I would do) and recording in silence at night/dawn is a bonus for me.
Well, if I'm putting myself in your shoes, I'm throwing the Blackstar out of the running. :dislike:

That leaves the Mini Jube, new DSL 20, or the H&K. I think any one of those would be fine. But you also want recording in silence. That sort of disqualifies the Mini Jube since it doesn't have an emulated output. The DI will work with cab sims, but live monitoring may be problem with that depending on your latency.

So that leaves the DSL 20 and the H&K. The DSL20 is brand spanking new so it's an unknown. It's "softube" emulated output might be good, we don't really know. It's power scaling reliability and effectiveness is unknown. But it'll have that brighter Marshall sound. IMO the Jubilee and DSL will have the best sound. The H&K is a tested well-known model and it's emulated output is very good. It has good power scaling. It definitely covers more ground sonically than the Marshalls. And it's higher wattage will make it a better live amp if you ever go that route.

So...
1) H&K
2) DSL
3 ) Jube
DQ) Blackstar

Go buy one or all of them from the place with the best return policy. Keep the one you like best, return the rest!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, that's something I hadn't previously considered. I do regularly use the emulated out on my Blackstar for writing/arranging and practice when its not a reasonable time for me to crank it. You're right - the H&K is probably the best all rounder in this shortlist.

What'll be nice when I have a head (as opposed to a combo) is that I can just stick it on my desk so I can be super lazy and just sit there tweaking shit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am Cheers, that's something I hadn't previously considered. I do regularly use the emulated out on my Blackstar for writing/arranging and practice when its not a reasonable time for me to crank it. You're right - the H&K is probably the best all rounder in this shortlist.

What'll be nice when I have a head (as opposed to a combo) is that I can just stick it on my desk so I can be super lazy and just sit there tweaking shit.
I think the H&K is voiced very well for people that don't really have or want any kind of sound in mind. It's a generic sound. That's not a bad thing. Not the way they do it. You don't hear those amps and think "it's got that telltale Hughes and Kettner sound!". That's not a thing. There is no H&K sound. You just hear a nice guitar sound that doesn't really fit any particular voicing. The H&K is great for that IMO. Maybe not sounding like anything is the H&K sound.

I think you should try the Mesa Mini Rectifier or mini Mark V too. I know they're pricey and don't do silent recording....but to my ears, when I hear your stuff, I think it's begging for the Mesa sound. livrong is getting some great tones from his Mark V. Mesa's don't have to sound like Nickelback or Alterbridge. They can sound awesome as fuck when you give them some mids and back off the gain some. And they do great cleans and the modern sound very well too obviously.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:58 am I think you should try the Mesa Mini Rectifier or mini Mark V too. I know they're pricey and don't do silent recording....but to my ears, when I hear your stuff, I think it's begging for the Mesa sound. livrong is getting some great tones from his Mark V. Mesa's don't have to sound like Nickelback or Alterbridge. They can sound awesome as fuck when you give them some mids and back off the gain some. And they do great cleans and the modern sound very well too obviously.
I know what you mean about Mesa's - but in my mind, there in the realms of pro-quality gear that really needs to be earning its keep! I just can't justify the price predominantly being a home recording hobbyist. I've looked at the mini-rec and the Mark V but they're so pricey
https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept ... ead-2mmxbb
https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept ... ead-2mr25x
Even the mini-rec is pretty much twice my budget.

I've only played through a rectifier a few times and they are great. I think it was a 100W Dual Rec - instant tonal hard on!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:58 am I think the H&K is voiced very well for people that don't really have or want any kind of sound in mind. It's a generic sound. That's not a bad thing. Not the way they do it. You don't hear those amps and think "it's got that telltale Hughes and Kettner sound!". That's not a thing. There is no H&K sound. You just hear a nice guitar sound that doesn't really fit any particular voicing. The H&K is great for that IMO. Maybe not sounding like anything is the H&K sound.
I think I agree with you on that actually now I think about it. When I played a H&K Tubemeister before I wasn't thinking it sounded anything other than nice. Whereas Marshall, Vox, Mesa, Orange even Victory have an instantly recognisable tone. Christ, even Blackstar does.

You know what they sound like: "Produced"
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

My Mark V25 does have an emulated out. I’ve never used it though.

I’d go with the Hughes as well. I’ve only read that you need at least the dsl40 to get into good Marshall tone territory. But, that’s just people talking on internet.

If you do decide to move into the $1200-1400 usd range I’d also look at the Friedman Runt 20, those to me sound great. Never played one though.
Last edited by liv_rong on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 am
I know what you mean about Mesa's - but in my mind, there in the realms of pro-quality gear that really needs to be earning its keep! I just can't justify the price predominantly being a home recording hobbyist. I've looked at the mini-rec and the Mark V but they're so pricey

I've only played through a rectifier a few times and they are great. I think it was a 100W Dual Rec - instant tonal hard on!
Lol. How much was that Crimson guitar? Does it earn it's keep?

I know the Mesas are crazy expensive. One of those also could probably be your last amp.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 am My Mark V25 does have an emulated out. I’ve never used it though.

I’d go with the Hughes as well. I’ve only read that you need at least the dsl40 to get into good Marshall tone territory. But, that’s just people talking on internet.

If you do decide to move into the $1200-1400 usd range I’d also look at the Friedman Ruby 20, those to me sound great. Never played one though.
I can't imagine how much a Friedman might be in the UK.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 am My Mark V25 does have an emulated out. I’ve never used it though.

If you do decide to move into the $1200-1400 usd range I’d also look at the Friedman Runt 20, those to me sound great. Never played one though.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:43 am

If you do decide to move into the $1200-1400 usd range I’d also look at the Friedman Ruby 20, those to me sound great. Never played one though.
I can't imagine how much a Friedman might be in the UK.
Yeah true. I think he said before that Mesas were up for here as well.

Also lol at “ruby”. I went to edit it but I clicked quote instead then tri d to delete the post. Oops.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The Runt is a killer little amp. I like pretty much all of the Friedmans. The Dirty Shirley is killer too. Stupid names, great amps.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:41 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 am

Lol. How much was that Crimson guitar? Does it earn it's keep?

I know the Mesas are crazy expensive. One of those also could probably be your last amp.
LOL - The Crimson is different. Its an heirloom! And it went down like a cup of cold sick when I bought that.

The mini-rec could be just about in the realm of possible if I left it a few months, I don't think the Mark will ever be realistic though.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 am The Runt is a killer little amp. I like pretty much all of the Friedmans. The Dirty Shirley is killer too. Stupid names, great amps.
I remember seeing Rabea Massaad (Anderton's guy) playing Friedman amps and even though he works for Victory and has a Victory sig model, he still said that they were basically the best amps he'd ever tried.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm not trying to spend your money for you. I just know that spending a little more for something that's really killer is worth it and I know you'll really enjoy it. I honestly think you'd love the "Mesa sound" for your own shit. The H&K is really nice. The Mini-Recto would be better IMO. And you already have a perfect cab to go with it. Rectos and V30s go together like Trump and Putin.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 am I'm not trying to spend your money for you. I just know that spending a little more for something that's really killer is worth it and I know you'll really enjoy it. I honestly think you'd love the "Mesa sound" for your own shit. The H&K is really nice. The Mini-Recto would be better IMO. And you already have a perfect cab to go with it. Rectos and V30s go together like Trump and Putin.
haha, that's alright mate. You've probably spent more time listening to my tone than anyone else! You're one of the only people other than me that actually has a vested interest in it!

I just don't quite feel comfortable spending that much cash on gear! (and then using my 40 quid pedals with it)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ooooh just thought of another possibility. You got any Egnaters over there?

The Egnater Tweaker is a pretty dang good affordable mini amp. It does a nice thick drive and clean tone. Good little amps.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've have seen them around but know nothing about then.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:54 am I've have seen them around but know nothing about then.
They're good little amps, designed by a famous amp designer/tweaker, made in Asia somewhere, good quality and sound and affordable. They look great and seem to be built very well. Good switches and solid pots and everything. Not flimsy or chintzy. I think Minerman had one at one time. They were high on my list when I was looking at little amps a long time ago.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

The 15w Tweaker is a good little amp, but it won't do metal without using a pedal to push it...It can use any octal power tube (6V6, EL34, etc) without having to bias, but it doesn't have the bright Marshall tone...Almost, but not quite...It actually does a good job of sounding kinda like Fender, Vox & Marshall, but it's not spot-on, ballpark kinda...The T15 doesn't have tons of gain, so again, you'd need pedals to push the front end for a gained-up sound...It's still a good little amp though...

The Origin amps are footswitchable (I think), so you could have a dirty sound & a clean sound...I'm really interested in those...

The 20w DSL's are supposed to be re-voiced a little, so one of those would have 2 channels too...If they made the 40w version in a head, I'd buy one myself...

I've never played through a H&K or Mesa, but from what I've read, a Mesa would fit you like a glove Jdude...Yes they cost more, but I think you'd be happier with a Mesa myself...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: