Amp Shortist

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Amp Shortist

Post by JD01 »

Don't worry about this unless you have any bright ideas - its just somewhere convenient for me to store my thoughts where I can go back and check prices and specs as I need to over the next couple of months. Some of you might find it interesting though.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ProductDisp ... reId=10151

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept ... ba119003-h
jonny deep

Re: Amp Shortist

Post by jonny deep »

What happened to the Andertons site/logo?!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

jonny deep wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:08 am What happened to the Andertons site/logo?!
I've no idea - but its nowhere near as easy to browse now!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I'm curious about these Victory amps.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 pm I'm curious about these Victory amps.
They're good, simple and loud. There's just only a couple of places that stock them. They're also expensive
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:27 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 pm I'm curious about these Victory amps.
They're good, simple and loud. There's just only a couple of places that stock them. They're also expensive
i'm going to watch a few videos about them. your the second person in three weeks to have mentioned these. My curiosity is piqued.
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Can you actually go try these amps somewhere Jdude???

The only one I have any experience with is the Marshall...

The Blackstar looks good spec-wise, but isn't that the same amp you already have, just in a head instead of a combo???

I dunno dude, again, no experience with anything except the Jube...If you can't try any of them out it sucks, trust me dude, the closest place to me that carries anything halfway decent is about a 3 hour drive, one way...Making a "blind buy" like that sucks, most of the gear I have has been a roll of the dice like that...

Again, if you can go try 'em out it'd give you a better idea of what each amp will do...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:13 pm Can you actually go try these amps somewhere Jdude???

The only one I have any experience with is the Marshall...

The Blackstar looks good spec-wise, but isn't that the same amp you already have, just in a head instead of a combo???

I dunno dude, again, no experience with anything except the Jube...If you can't try any of them out it sucks, trust me dude, the closest place to me that carries anything halfway decent is about a 3 hour drive, one way...Making a "blind buy" like that sucks, most of the gear I have has been a roll of the dice like that...

Again, if you can go try 'em out it'd give you a better idea of what each amp will do...
Yeah, Miner. Anderton's stock all of them and are only 1hr40 from my office... which is a bit inconvenient as there's a shop that stocks the Jube and the Blackstar 5 minutes from my office.
I loved the Jube when I tried it, and was really pleasantly surprised with the MKII Blackstar too, much better than mine. But seeing as I'm going to spend a lot of cash I don't mind taking the drive down to Anderton's with my guitar, cab and board to try out all of the amps I've listed over a couple of hours to make my mind up once and for all.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:14 pm Yeah, Miner. Anderton's stock all of them and are only 1hr40 from my office... which is a bit inconvenient as there's a shop that stocks the Jube and the Blackstar 5 minutes from my office.
I loved the Jube when I tried it, and was really pleasantly surprised with the MKII Blackstar too, much better than mine. But seeing as I'm going to spend a lot of cash I don't mind taking the drive down to Anderton's with my guitar, cab and board to try out all of the amps I've listed over a couple of hours to make my mind up once and for all.
Jdude, I know this is a big wad of cash for you man, just please take your time & try each amp out for as long as possible dude, I'm positive whatever you do spring for you'll make the best of it...IMO the best move you've made was getting a 2x12, a new/different amp should only make it that much better too...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

I should probably alter my shortlist...
https://www.andertons.co.uk/marshall-ds ... ad-dsl20hr
And they sell these locally to me.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:36 pm I should probably alter my shortlist...
https://www.andertons.co.uk/marshall-ds ... ad-dsl20hr
And they sell these locally to me.
You need to check this out too:

Looks like it's kinda old-school with the channels jumped permanently with a knob (the "Tilt" knob) to blend 'em...
Whenever you get to try any of them out let us know dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

That DSL20 looks a lot like a smaller version of my JCM900. Out of your list that would be my pick (but I am a Marshall fanboy lol)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm liking the idea of that Marshall Origin amp. I can't wait to try one in person.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:18 pm I'm liking the idea of that Marshall Origin amp. I can't wait to try one in person.
I've had a hunch about the DSL's, but I didn't expect that many amps to be honest...The 40 & 100w can change modes (clean/crunch/od1/od2) with a footswitch, which I think is nice, but I think this should've been possible a long time ago...This really doesn't matter to me, but I can see where someone gigging would find it useful...They've supposedly tweaked the eq/voicing on these amps too, but I'm not sure on the amount of gain the red channel has...The DSL100H had way too much gain even for me, so if the gain is reduced that would be an improvement too...

Nobody twisted my arm to buy it, but the 1w head is a slap in the face for me at $300...I had the 50th anniversary 1w DSL head, & paid $800 for it new...I get that the 50th anniversary amps are a limited/collector's thing, but the $500 difference just proves to me they could've done this a long time ago...I know some folks will say "it's made in England", but I'm betting the new 1w is practically identical to the amp I had, which proves to me they jacked the price on the 50th amps way too much...

I'm interested in the Origin heads too dude, seems like they've finally made an old-school type low-watt amp with EL34's...I'm not sure which I'd pick if I were to buy one...I'm assuming the 20w should be pretty similar to my Mini-Jubilee so I can see a lot of folks would think it'd be pretty cool to have, but things may be changing a little for the better for me, as I might actually be moving before long...If/when that happens (fingers crossed), noise shouldn't be an issue which means I could use big amps again...So whenever this finally does happen, I'd probably pick the 50w, but until I hear proper clips or one of you guys get to play & review one before I'd consider any of them...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:05 pm
I've had a hunch about the DSL's, but I didn't expect that many amps to be honest...The 40 & 100w can change modes (clean/crunch/od1/od2) with a footswitch, which I think is nice, but I think this should've been possible a long time ago...This really doesn't matter to me, but I can see where someone gigging would find it useful...They've supposedly tweaked the eq/voicing on these amps too, but I'm not sure on the amount of gain the red channel has...The DSL100H had way too much gain even for me, so if the gain is reduced that would be an improvement too...

Nobody twisted my arm to buy it, but the 1w head is a slap in the face for me at $300...I had the 50th anniversary 1w DSL head, & paid $800 for it new...I get that the 50th anniversary amps are a limited/collector's thing, but the $500 difference just proves to me they could've done this a long time ago...I know some folks will say "it's made in England", but I'm betting the new 1w is practically identical to the amp I had, which proves to me they jacked the price on the 50th amps way too much...
I know man. The first thing I thought of was "miner's gonna be pissed". Seriously. I thunk it. I know you spent a lot on that one-watt DSL and now they're practically giving them away. :mad:
I'm interested in the Origin heads too dude, seems like they've finally made an old-school type low-watt amp with EL34's...I'm not sure which I'd pick if I were to buy one...I'm assuming the 20w should be pretty similar to my Mini-Jubilee so I can see a lot of folks would think it'd be pretty cool to have, but things may be changing a little for the better for me, as I might actually be moving before long...If/when that happens (fingers crossed), noise shouldn't be an issue which means I could use big amps again...So whenever this finally does happen, I'd probably pick the 50w, but until I hear proper clips or one of you guys get to play & review one before I'd consider any of them...
I'm really interested in trying the 50 watt. That seems like a cool amp.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:34 pm I know man. The first thing I thought of was "miner's gonna be pissed". Seriously. I thunk it. I know you spent a lot on that one-watt DSL and now they're practically giving them away. :mad:
Oh well dude, it just shows those amps were way overpriced...I'm not really pissed, I was pissed when I had to sell it...I barely got 1/2 what I paid, but that's life...
Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:34 pmI'm really interested in trying the 50 watt. That seems like a cool amp.
Definitely...I'll wait until proper clips & people review 'em before I decide, but it does look promising...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

I really liked the mini-jube when I tried it, even though the guy in the shop couldn't properly explain it to me. Definitely looking forward to ABing it against the DSL20, I like the switchable lower wattage too - will be great for recording.

I wish somewhere local to me stocked Hughes & Kettner. I've pretty much discounted getting a Victory, too expensive, too loud and quite dark sounding, but I still can't find somewhere other than Andertons that stock the Marshalls, the Blackstar and the H&K. I really can't be arsed to drive all the way down there with my cab, guitar and board. http://www.astrings.co.uk/

Miner, I think that amp looks great but its single channel - I do really want a clean channel.

I've found a shop 1/2 hour from my place in Wales that stock Marshall and H&K but they're phasing out Blackstar. They don't have the Marshall heads in only the mini-jube and DSL20 combos - but I can run them with my cab to try them anyway and they'll order me in the head I want if I go with the Marshall.

Weirdly, he said, they're phasing out Blackstar 'cos they've had so many reliability problems with them - mine's been great and I did a fair few rehearsals and gigs with it when I first got it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:45 am I do really want a clean channel.
You have one. Roll your guitar vol back.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:29 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:45 am I do really want a clean channel.
You have one. Roll your guitar vol back.
True - with the split coils, that works pretty well too.

I usually only use my clean channel for reggae in my own music, and a very slight breakup works well in that context.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The Jubilee has a great clean channel.
Rebel Yell