Amp Shortist

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Amp Shortist

Post by JD01 »

I've been doing my amp research on Friday... I think given what I want I'm pretty sold on a H&K Tubemeister, particularly the Deluxe versions.

The difference with the deluxe versions is that they have the H&K "Redbox" cab emulation which appears to be pretty versatile and actually sound pretty good too.
They also have the power soak so you can crank the amp but then turn it down to 5W which should be handy for me.. I think 1W mode will be practice only though.

I've played an H&K before and really liked it, just instant easy tones.

Given what I do, lots of writing/recording late at night or early in the morning, I can't think of a more versatile option unless I end up getting into sims which I don't want to do at all. The 20W sounds pretty good, but I'd really like to stretch to the 40W, not 'cos its louder, but instead of just a lead channel and boosted lead, it has "crunch" and "lead" so its a true three channel amp with different master volumes.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome, now go get it. :)
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:06 am Awesome, now go get it. :)
haha, its really tempting to just press "order" now and have it for the weekend... that would mean I get precisely no vocals done this weekend though.

We're away loads of the February anyway. I have this weekend spare. Then I'm busy with stuff, then I'm off to Portugal, then I'm down in Cornwall so I'll wait until the end of Feb anyway and waiting for one more pay-packet after that snowboarding trip won't do me any harm at all!

I do like the mini-jube and the the Blackstar and from what I've heard about the new DSLs they're good too... but the H&K is so much more versatile for what I need than any of them. I think the solid stage clipping in their gain stages suits my playing style too, playing the H&K before I didn't feel like I wanted to stick any pedals in front of it to tighten up the bottom end or may it feel more compressed - there was no flub there at all, even with quite a lot of gain.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I think you're doing the right thing by buying the "next step up" in those H&K amps Jdude...I've never played through one, but like any of 'em, usually the higher up in price/features, the better the amp is...

I think you'd like the DSL more than the mini Jubilee simply because it's got way more gain, but the H&K's Redbox (which I've read really good things about) probably trumps 'em all, & is probably way better than the Blackstar's direct out...FWIW, the HT-5 I had sounded ok using the direct, but wasn't all that great IMO...

All these shiny, new Marshall amps have gave me some serious GAS, but I'm gonna hold off for a while...I really like the sound & smaller size of the mini Jubilee with the EL34's, so I'll probably stick with similar things in the future...It shouldn't take too long for Ceriatone to go in this direction, they've already got the 2202 & a mini Jubilee clone with 6V6's, & I don't think it would take them long to make EL34 versions...I'd thought about buying an Origin head, but I'll just wait a while to see what happens...Ceriatone will eventually make low-watt EL34 version amps too, which could be pretty cool...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Plus there's the blue lights with the H&K, so you can get your gay on... :biggrin:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

So, have we decided what the shortist amp is, yet?
Haggard Musician :mad:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

By the way, get a JVM. You won't be buying any more amps. Not because you need them, anyway. :D
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:30 pm By the way, get a JVM. You won't be buying any more amps. Not because you need them, anyway. :D
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

If JD doesn't get a Peavy Bandit to match his PRS i am banning him for a year.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:27 pm If JD doesn't get a Peavy Bandit to match his PRS i am banning him for a year.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:27 pm If JD doesn't get a Peavy Bandit to match his PRS i am banning him for a year.
Ha ha!

I had a Peavey Renown when I was a youngster, with a special Saturation knob to give you more faux tube goodness. I had zero knowledge of amps at this point, and to be honest, I doubt the audience at the time could have told the difference... :mrgreen:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

This is all Jdude needs:

I actually gigged with an amp like that a few times...The last band I was in, I took that amp & my Kramer Knightswan to the "audition"...
Basically they were wanting to get rid of the guy they had, he didn't show for that gig & was "fired" if I could pull it off...:lollers:
I ran a 1/4" direct out into their pa that night just using the volume on my guitar to clean it up...It was basically a high-as fuck, weed smoking, slide-playing 80's hair metal guy sitting in with Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, & Johnny Cash-wanna-be's, but it blew their minds & they ended up liking it so much I played with that band for about 3-4 years, if not more... :biggrin:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:29 pm
You know I actually have a Peavey Bandit right?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:10 pm I think you're doing the right thing by buying the "next step up" in those H&K amps Jdude...I've never played through one, but like any of 'em, usually the higher up in price/features, the better the amp is...

I think you'd like the DSL more than the mini Jubilee simply because it's got way more gain, but the H&K's Redbox (which I've read really good things about) probably trumps 'em all, & is probably way better than the Blackstar's direct out...FWIW, the HT-5 I had sounded ok using the direct, but wasn't all that great IMO...

All these shiny, new Marshall amps have gave me some serious GAS, but I'm gonna hold off for a while...I really like the sound & smaller size of the mini Jubilee with the EL34's, so I'll probably stick with similar things in the future...It shouldn't take too long for Ceriatone to go in this direction, they've already got the 2202 & a mini Jubilee clone with 6V6's, & I don't think it would take them long to make EL34 versions...I'd thought about buying an Origin head, but I'll just wait a while to see what happens...Ceriatone will eventually make low-watt EL34 version amps too, which could be pretty cool...
Yeah - from what I've heard of the Redbox it seems really good. I've watched a few demos and some of the more shite people sounded a lot better with the Redbox! Would be great to be able to have Redbox recorded stuff as a keeper, but even if its not, its still a great way of constructing a song and practicing before I do a keeper take.

I actually found that the mini-jube had more than enough gain for my tastes!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:15 pm Plus there's the blue lights with the H&K, so you can get your gay on... :biggrin:
They look like something from a strip club don't they?
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have a tiny Peavey - it cost me $20 delivered - I only wanted it as an extension cab for my Pignose - that's about all it can do too.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 am
Lol. You do? Why?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 am
Lol. You do? Why?
Yeah - you've heard a few tones from it in the dim and distant past.
I got it when I was 16 or 17.
Its fucking loud - my band at the time was playing the occasional metal cover... and obviously we used way too much gain for everything.

It still works and I use it as my "week day" amp just to play during the week.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Peavey Bandits and teenage metal are a perfect match.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:08 am Peavey Bandits and teenage metal are a perfect match.
My self from 20 years ago agrees entirely.
You leave the gain knob on about 7, leave the "thrash" button off for punk/most grunge and press the Thrash button for metal and heavier grunge. Don't forget to eliminate the mids completely.