Since we're fortunate to have a muttley I want to know .....

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Since we're fortunate to have a muttley I want to know .....

Post by Lt. Bob »

.... the truss rod in my Stinnett rattles.
I can tap the neck and hear/feel it ...... not a ton but it's there. Haven't noticed it in the amplified sound of the git.

What are your thoughts on that?
muttley

Re: Since we're fortunate to have a muttley I want to know .....

Post by muttley »

When you install a truss rod you would normally wrap some cloth tape or foam around it before you close it up to sit is snugly. Normally, if the rod is under tension/compression it will not rattle as it is held rigid by itself. If it does it is because something else is in there or there is a part of it that is "knocking" against the slot. I know Metalhead was pretty careful about stuff so I dont think it is beacuse it was installed carelessly.

Questions I would ask..

Is the rod under tension or at rest? If its under tension then the rattle is between rod and guitar.
Is the rod at rest? In that case the rod ccompomnents maybe rattling with themselves.

Other observations would be..

Are you absolutely sure its the rod? Sound travels in funny ways and often when you think it's coming from one place its actually some thing else. Just because it sounds like the rod doesnt mean it definitely is. Think: Rattles on car dashboards and how annoying they can be. Its the same sort of thing.

Cure?

If You are certain its the rod I would get a long tube down which I could inject some flexible caulk or putty and fill the truss rod slot from the open end starting right down the far end of the slot. What you use could be epoxy or any slow set viscous stuff that you can fill the slot with. I would be careful not to get it onto the adjustment nut or thread and make sure it filled the slot entirely. You would only get one go at it.. Failing that you would need to remove it which would mean removing the f/b..
muttley

Post by muttley »

Should have asked. Can you get a hex wrench in the adjust nut and stop the rattle by flexing the thing without adjusting it?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ah ...... just put a little pressure on the hex .... gotcha.
I'll try that tonight.
I I'll fool with it some more and let you know what I find and also look to see if it's a rattle from somewhere else.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Cool, let me know...

Have you had any time to get onto your builds lately. I know you are busy and have other shit to deal with, we all do but I'm itching to know how you get on with dem pups..?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

It's really on the front burner ....... I've been trying to get to it the last week and start a thread about it so any day now
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:05 am It's really on the front burner ....... I've been trying to get to it the last week and start a thread about it so any day now
:like: