Yamaha acoustic - Nut width

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Yamaha acoustic - Nut width

Post by JD01 »

A mate of mine at work wants me to fix up her old Yamaha acoustic - looks like a decent enough entry level guitar like a lot of Yamaha stuff.

Nearly all of the ones I can find on the web are a 44mm is this a standard Yamaha thing? Can you give me a recommendation of a decent but cheap, pre-cut nut for a Yamaha acoustic?
muttley

Re: Yamaha acoustic - Nut width

Post by muttley »

You wont get a decent precut nut. To do it properly it should be cut to match the radius of the fingerboard, the height of the fret and the action required as well as the string gauge used. There is no one size fits all with nuts which is why so many stock guitar setup are complete shite. If you do go for a stock nut then in my experience many of the older Yamaha acoustics (the FG34# range, which I suspect it will be) had slim and narrow necks. More likely around 42mm.

Even stock nuts need quite a bit of fiddling and slot adjustment to get them playing well.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mutt, its a 42mm wide and 4mm thick nut. Can you give me a recommendation for a stock nut? I'll post a pic now
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Here you go
20171120_102818.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD even a stock nut will need setting up. Thats just the way it I'm afraid. Get any 42mm nut but you will be lucky if it plays well out of the box... You want a 1 11/16th nut width. There is no guarantee that it will have the right radius or string height as is...

I cut all the nuts I fit from bone stock to fit the guitar.

You could try any number of places but I cant vouch for their suitability. I use Axes R US on occasion and Allparts as their dewlivery is pretty good. Mostly I have trade accounts at other places I use for parts.

If you are intent on dropping in a stock nut then sift through ebay..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?gclid ... t&_sacat=0
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - I just think it would be easier for me to fuck about with a stock nut than cut one from scratch.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:13 am Yeah - I just think it would be easier for me to fuck about with a stock nut than cut one from scratch.
Make sure you get a bone one then. Plastic is pants to work on...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:13 am Yeah - I just think it would be easier for me to fuck about with a stock nut than cut one from scratch.
Make sure you get a bone one then. Plastic is pants to work on...
Cool - will do.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mutt, I've been trying to find a nut for this old acoustic. Its a pretty standard 42mm wide, but it appears to be less than 5mm thick and 7.5mm high. I picked up a cheapo 42mmx5mm nut when I was in the shop the other day and its too thick for the slot. I've had a browse of eBay and can't find anything.

Any ideas?
muttley

Post by muttley »

if it fits width ways and the height is ok you can either reduce the depth or take some off the back of the truss rod cover to widen the nut slot.

Take the truss rod cover off. Test the nut with strings to see how it fits and plays. Tweak it to suit and refit the cover trimming if required.

Like I said before there simply is no drop in replacement for any nut. There is no standard.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers,