Fretless tricone

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Farview

Fretless tricone

Post by Farview »

A friend of mine has been building and playing fretless guitar for years. What he did with this guitar was just strange enough to warrant posting it here.

Check out the other videos on his page. He also has fretless mandolins, guitars and of course basses.
Lt. Bob

Re: Fretless tricone

Post by Lt. Bob »

that's pretty freakin' cool!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool stuff but having learnt cello I know that fretlessness takes a great ear and touch. I have to use stickers on my cello -mind you I can tweak around by ear from that starting point but only just.
Cheers
rayc
Farview

Post by Farview »

Here are a couple more

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

That's too cool. Why does everyone that makes a Youtube video drown their shit in fucking echo, though?
Farview

Post by Farview »

That's the room, Except the last one, which is him overdubbing in the studio. All the parts you are hearing are him.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Farview wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 pm That's the room,
I actually was going to say that in this case, the echo/reverb suits it. But often, dudes are drowining in effects when they're demonstrating something and it's usually too much.
Except the last one, which is him overdubbing in the studio. All the parts you are hearing are him.
Impressive. Love that last one. I ike the sound of fretless. I've always liked the liquid-y sound of a whammy bar or a slide, Probably why I love the sound of fretless guitar.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 am
Farview wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 pm That's the room,
I actually was going to say that in this case, the echo/reverb suits it. But often, dudes are drowining in effects when they're demonstrating something and it's usually too much.
Except the last one, which is him overdubbing in the studio. All the parts you are hearing are him.
Impressive. Love that last one. I ike the sound of fretless. I've always liked the liquid-y sound of a whammy bar or a slide, Probably why I love the sound of fretless guitar.
The reason i stopped watching amp and guitar reviews on youtube was because of these dinguses that put three of four god dam pedals in front of it and then decide they have given the guitar or amp "a good review"

:confused:

Fuck you. no you didn't. Stop being a gear head and be fucking objective. the last amp review i watch i got genuinely excited as it was a 20W version of a Hiwatt D103 (The Little D) and i was like oh my god how bad ass is that, as the vid progresses he is setting up a daisy chain of effects to stick in front of it. I just closed the window and went back to work dissapointed.

I don't mean to sound callous and irratble to pedal guys and gear heads or anything that is awesome, i just get fucking irate when an amp or guitar gets reviewed with pedals in the fuck signal path.

for the love of god that madness needs to end.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 am

The reason i stopped watching amp and guitar reviews on youtube was because of these dinguses that put three of four god dam pedals in front of it and then decide they have given the guitar or amp "a good review"

Fuck you. no you didn't. Stop being a gear head and be fucking objective. the last amp review i watch i got genuinely excited as it was a 20W version of a Hiwatt D103 (The Little D) and i was like oh my god how bad ass is that, as the vid progresses he is setting up a daisy chain of effects to stick in front of it. I just closed the window and went back to work dissapointed.

I don't mean to sound callous and irratble to pedal guys and gear heads or anything that is awesome, i just get fucking irate when an amp or guitar gets reviewed with pedals in the fuck signal path.

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

I have a few pet peeves myself.
1A) The sound of pick hitting strings. I've bitched about this one many times. If I can hear the pick hitting the strings through the camera mic, then I'm gonna give it a thumbs-down, leave a nasty comment, and turn it off.
1B) Camera mics. If you can shoot video and edit it to make something you think others may want to watch, then stop using the fucking camera mic. Use a lapel mic or a well placed boom mic for your speaking and close mic whatever it is you're showcasing. There's nothing worse than the sound of something overloading a shitty camera mic. Thumbs down, nasty comment, turned off.
2) Too much fucking talking. I don't need or want your goddamn life story. Thumbs down, nasty comment, turned off.
3) Cab sims. Unless the product you're reviewing is an actual cab sim, then stop using fucking cab sims. I'm seeing way too much Torpedo Reload now, and fuck that. These dudes have walls of amp heads and mics and preamps...no cabs. Fuck that and fuck you. They tend to make everything sound the same and it's not interesting. Thumbs down, nasty comment, go fuck yourself.
4) Metal. Stop with the fucking metal riffs in every fucking video.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:54 am 4) Metal. Stop with the fucking metal riffs in every fucking video.
See the one that annoys me is generic blues riffs.

I guess if you really want to showcase tone, you should probably just play a big ol' power chord and call it done.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:54 am :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

1A) The sound of pick hitting strings. I've bitched about this one many times. If I can hear the pick hitting the strings through the camera mic, then I'm gonna give it a thumbs-down, leave a nasty comment, and turn it off.
1B) Camera mics. If you can shoot video and edit it to make something you think others may want to watch, then stop using the fucking camera mic. Use a lapel mic or a well placed boom mic for your speaking and close mic whatever it is you're showcasing. There's nothing worse than the sound of something overloading a shitty camera mic. Thumbs down, nasty comment, turned off.
2) Too much fucking talking. I don't need or want your goddamn life story. Thumbs down, nasty comment, turned off.
3) Cab sims. Unless the product you're reviewing is an actual cab sim, then stop using fucking cab sims. I'm seeing way too much Torpedo Reload now, and fuck that. These dudes have walls of amp heads and mics and preamps...no cabs. Fuck that and fuck you. They tend to make everything sound the same and it's not interesting. Thumbs down, nasty comment, go fuck yourself.
Yes. I agree. All of it. Notably 1B and 2. if the too much talking is about the meat and potatoes of why i stopped by then fine. As long as it is informative right? The passing along of information i might not have already known?! The life story's and stuff i can do with out as well. No one, including myself will care if your grandfather needed to sell his ivory dentures to top your trust fun so you could buy you first Line6 Spider. :spacepalm:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:36 pm

See the one that annoys me is generic blues riffs.

I guess if you really want to showcase tone, you should probably just play a big ol' power chord and call it done.
I'd be okay with that. Blues riffs are lame too, but at least they allow the viewer to hear some nuances in the sound that dumb fizzy mushed out mega-gain metal riffing doesn't allow.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

riffs in general annoy me ..... well actually the word and the entire concept and intent of 'riff' pisses me off.

Everyone thinks playing is simply learning these 'riffs' or those 'riffs' ...... no .... just learn to freakin' play.
While there may be such a thing as 'generic' riffs of one style or another .... good players simply don't think in those terms.
They just play.

There's NEVER a time when I EVER think "Oh I'm in this mode" or "Oh, I can play a relative minor against this" ...... absolutely never.
Most of the time I couldn't even tell you what key I'm in without stopping to think.
You should learn to play the same as you sing ......... you just do it.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:54 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 am

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

//sudo shutdown thread -t now/
Farview

Post by Farview »

Well, this certainly went sideways...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Farview wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:09 pm Well, this certainly went sideways...
Sorry man,

I feel responsible for that. my bad. They were cool videos and i certianly a respectable skill to be able to play that kind of thing. I do have one question though?

Is the fret board a glass mirror?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:13 pm I feel responsible for that. my bad.
Oh please. It's nobody's bad. An internet forum discussion actually branched out and went slightly sideways. Gee, that never happens. Let's shut the whole thing down. :k: :lollers:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I think the fretboard is metal
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:33 pm I think the fretboard is metal
Its not a fret board. Tecnically its a fingerboard.

Now back on topic everyone...:)
Farview

Post by Farview »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:13 pm I feel responsible for that. my bad.
Oh please. It's nobody's bad. An internet forum discussion actually branched out and went slightly sideways. Gee, that never happens. Let's shut the whole thing down. :k: :lollers:
I wasn't complaining, just commenting.

The fingerboards are mirror glass.