Fretless tricone

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rammer24

Re: Fretless tricone

Post by rammer24 »

I wasn't talking to you, Farview. I was trying to tell Whiskey that he has nothing to apologize for. I'm sure we're all aware of how internet forums work. :)
rayc

Post by rayc »

I had hoped the finger boards were stainless steel.
That would be a prob for scratches I assume.
Mirrored glass - have to be careful I suppose.
I started losing interest in HP42's gear reviews when he started with the Torpedo thingamebob - it's MUCH easier for his production process & work flow BUT ...& the new tendency for interviews with guitar/metal legends I care nothing about...& then stupid reviews at sales/promo conventions. I still have a look to see what he's reviewing but I don't click play as often.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Farview wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:55 pm

The fingerboards are mirror glass.
that's awesome ......
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

muttley wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:53 pm
//sudo shutdown thread -t now/
-t ?
bob wrote:There's NEVER a time when I EVER think "Oh I'm in this mode" or "Oh, I can play a relative minor against this" ...... absolutely never.
Most of the time I couldn't even tell you what key I'm in without stopping to think.
You should learn to play the same as you sing ......... you just do it.
I think there's value in being able to think in those theory terms, especially when writing, arranging, and recording.
I agree that live it should be primarily muscle memory and trained reflexes tho.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I didn't say I didn't know those things.
I majored in composition and played bassoon in symphony.

What I said was that when I'm playing I never think of them ..... period.
Certainly I did when I was younger ..... just not now.

i've started sitting in with a horn band that does nothing but large arrangements of real book stuff and even then I never think theory while soloing ...... not even a tiny bit ..... and this is all seriously complex stuff.

Don't forget though, I've been a full time player for 48 years.

Also I wouldn't say my playing is muscle memory ...... I don't play 'licks' and I don't play the same from night to night ...... if I play a song or solo a thousand times I'll play it a thousand different ways. The only exception being a part that's iconic to a song ...... but even then I'm liable to do whatever I want.
I'm thinking while I'm playing but not in theory terms.

After 54 years of playing and 48 of those full time, theory is like anything else ..... it becomes an ingrained part of your process that no longer needs to be thought about.
If I'm arranging it's the same thing.
I never think "Ok this chord ( or note ) will fit in there because it's a relative minor over a major diad.
I simply think, "Ok .... this chord there"
muttley

Post by muttley »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 am
muttley wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:53 pm
//sudo shutdown thread -t now/
-t ?

Used to attach a time delay for a sudo command for some basic linux commands. In this case NOW... 1h, 2h, should work as well if you want to set a time marker. Thats how it used to be, not sure if it still is, havent done any terminal work for a while now.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

muttley wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:53 pm sudo shutdown thread -t now
I think you forgot to send us the entire output of that command:

muttley@recordingrebels$ sudo shutdown thread -t now
-recordingrebels: sudo: command not found

lol
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
muttley

Post by muttley »

SweetDan wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 pm
muttley wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:53 pm sudo shutdown thread -t now
I think you forgot to send us the entire output of that command:

muttley@recordingrebels$ sudo shutdown thread -t now
-recordingrebels: sudo: command not found

lol
:mad3:

Try this on my account and see what happens.

$ sudo find /root/ user muttley -type d -exec chmod 775

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

muttley wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:28 pm Used to attach a time delay for a sudo command for some basic linux commands. In this case NOW... 1h, 2h, should work as well if you want to set a time marker. Thats how it used to be, not sure if it still is, havent done any terminal work for a while now.
I think it's usually $ shutdown -h now or $ shutdown -r now depending on if you want a halt or restart.

Bob, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know your theory. Your previous post just seemed dismissive of the concept. A lot of the musicians I've worked with DO have an "I don't need any theory ever" attitude, and it's super obnoxious to work with. ("how are you counting that?" 'I dunno; I just play it'. "What key is this?" 'I dunno; just play it')
"I don't need to consciously think about theory any more" isn't great advice for people who haven't been playing professionally for decades! :D
muttley

Post by muttley »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:47 pm
muttley wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:28 pm Used to attach a time delay for a sudo command for some basic linux commands. In this case NOW... 1h, 2h, should work as well if you want to set a time marker. Thats how it used to be, not sure if it still is, havent done any terminal work for a while now.
I think it's usually $ shutdown -h now or $ shutdown -r now depending on if you want a halt or restart.

You are probably right. As I said it's been a while since I did any proper command line stuff... These days I only do it to log into my NAS Cloud to unmount backup drives.. Will check next time and see if it works.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:18 pm I didn't say I didn't know those things.
I majored in composition and played bassoon in symphony.

What I said was that when I'm playing I never think of them ..... period.
Certainly I did when I was younger ..... just not now.

i've started sitting in with a horn band that does nothing but large arrangements of real book stuff and even then I never think theory while soloing ...... not even a tiny bit ..... and this is all seriously complex stuff.

Me too. It's called chops. I never think about the changes that are coming. Quick ears will get you there through passing notes if anything unusual crops up. Real Book and Fake book stuff is all just a canvas in any case.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Bob, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know your theory. Your previous post just seemed dismissive of the concept. A lot of the musicians I've worked with DO have an "I don't need any theory ever" attitude, and it's super obnoxious to work with. ("how are you counting that?" 'I dunno; I just play it'. "What key is this?" 'I dunno; just play it')
"I don't need to consciously think about theory any more" isn't great advice for people who haven't been playing professionally for decades! :D
You're absolutely correct.

The end goal of ANY activity is to learn all the theory and particulars of it and then get it so ingrained you don't need to consciously think about it.
And you're correct that no one can simply decide to have decades of experience .... they have to actually go thru those years.

And I can see it being annoying to have some players be of so little help although if someone is truly playing off instinct it's not really their fault if they can't detail what they're doing ...... for the record if asked about counts and/or keys etc I might have to stop and think for a second but I would be able to tell you.

So really, I suppose what I said was pretty much useless bullshit now that i think about it!

:lollers:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:14 pm no one can simply decide to have decades of experience .... they have to actually go thru those years.
QFT!