Incoming NAD...#1

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Incoming NAD...#1

Post by Minerman »

I wasn't sure this was gonna happen, so I didn't really say much about it...But today made if official, I'll have a new (to me) amp here this weekend...

My nephew the preacher got in touch with me telling me about an amp one of his buddies had for sale...The guy's wife is sick & they need $$$ for medical issues...He told me the guy has a Marshall 20w mini-Jubilee head for sale, & I should get in touch with him about it...

So I go check the amp out, & it's basically brand new, with the original box, receipt, the whole shebang...I took my SG & ran the amp through my nephew's vertical slant V30 cab...I was pretty impressed, & got to really wind the amp up to give it a real test drive...

He wanted $700 for it because he needed the $$$ pretty bad, new those amps are $1200...He bought the amp about 3 months ago, so it's basically new...Of course being the cheap fucker that I am, I tried to haggle, but he wouldn't budge, so I have him half today, & will give him the rest Sunday when I pick up the amp...I was gonna bring it home today, but he wanted to keep it until then, & told me just to give him half until Sunday...I'm assuming it's the only amp he has, & wanted to play through it for a few days before it's gone...

To be honest, I felt like a big hairy turd because of the guy's situation, but it's such a good deal, it's really hard for me to pass up, as all you guys know I'm a big Marshall fan-boy...I know exactly where that guy is, because a couple years ago, I was pretty much there myself...

If I hadn't acted pretty quick, the amp would've been gone, both him & my nephew told me there were a few other people interested in it, so I jumped on it...

This amp should do great for me, it should do really well with the ISO cab I just built...The lower watt amps really appeal to me & this one has EL34's instead of EL84's like the EVH amp...Nothing wrong with EL84's at all, I'm just not a big fan of how that particular amp's power section sounds when pushed...

So a few days & I'll have the new amp #1 here at the house, which will be my birthday present to myself...
I'm still gonna order the 2202, which should be here just in time for Christmas... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Re: Incoming NAD...#1

Post by Greg_L »

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:22 pm :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
I can't wait to get that amp here dude, I'd never really considered one of those because they're expensive as fuck, & honestly have never tried a Jubilee, other than the ampsim versions... That little amp rips man... :crazy:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Congrats miner that is pretty rad. Good deal too. Super stoked for you. Gotta love when a good deal pops up.
:happytrees:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Minerman wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:06 pm The guy's wife is sick & they need $$$ for medical issues...
Of course being the cheap fucker that I am, I tried to haggle...
I felt like a big hairy turd because of the guy's situation...
I know exactly where that guy is, because a couple years ago, I was pretty much there myself...
I'll be honest with you, man. Completely 100% just my opinion: You should feel like a big hairy turd. Sorry, but in my opinion you passed up a chance to pay it forward and do the same for someone else that a bunch of people did for you. The fact that you know you should feel like shit doesn't make it better, it makes it worse. Sorry, man. I still love you, but I'm disappointed. You got back on your feet really quick and now you're buying equipment like you won the lottery and you couldn't pass some good karma to someone who's going through something you can totally relate to?

For your sake, I hope karma's just a myth, because you just laughed in its face.

Sorry dude. Just giving my honest opinion.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:14 pm I'll be honest with you, man. Completely 100% just my opinion: You should feel like a big hairy turd. Sorry, but in my opinion you passed up a chance to pay it forward and do the same for someone else that a bunch of people did for you. The fact that you know you should feel like shit doesn't make it better, it makes it worse. Sorry, man. I still love you, but I'm disappointed. You got back on your feet really quick and now you're buying equipment like you won the lottery and you couldn't pass some good karma to someone who's going through something you can totally relate to?

For your sake, I hope karma's just a myth, because you just laughed in its face.

I'm not gonna argue with you or anyone about any of this man, so we'll just leave it at that...I love you too dude, & I'm sorry I let you down...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:14 pm
I'll be honest with you, man. Completely 100% just my opinion: You should feel like a big hairy turd. Sorry, but in my opinion you passed up a chance to pay it forward and do the same for someone else that a bunch of people did for you. The fact that you know you should feel like shit doesn't make it better, it makes it worse. Sorry, man. I still love you, but I'm disappointed. You got back on your feet really quick and now you're buying equipment like you won the lottery and you couldn't pass some good karma to someone who's going through something you can totally relate to?

Wait, hold on, I don't understand. What did he do wrong? A guy needed money and miner bought an amp from him. He didn't have to buy it. Someone would have bought it. :confused:
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

No, that's cool. I hesitated to say anything and I'm not looking for an argument. I just stated my opinion and I won't discuss it further even if the opinion of the next 20 people that post is that I'm an idiot. I can't argue with that anyway because I probably am. But I'm not looking to discuss it further and I didn't mean yo "scold" you. Just giving my opinion and I'm done. :like:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:31 pm Wait, hold on, I don't understand. What did he do wrong? A guy needed money and miner bought an amp from him. He didn't have to buy it. Someone would have bought it. :confused:
You're right. He did nothing "wrong".
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I don’t understand much of this, but to lighten the mood, as I was reading Ramis post I thought for sure he was going to say what I was thinking that it didn’t seem like that great of a deal.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I like sex
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Looking forward to hearing this amp miner as its definitely one on my shortlist after spending an hour with one the other day.

The fact he's got to sell it is more an indictment of your healthcare system than anything you've done Miner. You did him a favour giving him the money that he needs when he needs it most... although trying to haggle probably wasn't good form!

If he fully recovers and you need the money one day, make sure you give him first refusal.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Well dudes, the preacher (my nephew) got in touch with me today, & it's gonna be Wednesday before I'll have the amp...It's not a big deal, they (the guy's whole family) usually go to church on Sunday, but didn't go today...Not sure what's up, & my nephew the preacher vouches for him, so it's all good...

So I'll have to wait a few more days, which ain't gonna kill me...

Or I hope not anyway... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

The guy with the amp got in touch with me last night, he's gonna drop the amp off here at the house this evening instead of tomorrow... :biggrin:

More to come... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:04 pm The guy with the amp got in touch with me last night, he's gonna drop the amp off here at the house this evening instead of tomorrow... :biggrin:

More to come... :minernuggs:
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Much Excite.
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

This little thing followed me home about 20 minutes ago guys...

This is my birthday & Christmas present to myself this year, this Thursday the 9th, I'll be 47... :biggrin:

I bought some power tubes & some strings online that got here yesterday...I've never tried these NYXL's...I even moved up to 10's, I've used 9's since I started playing, but most of you guys say they're great so I'm gonna try 'em out...

I'll most likely swap the power tubes & keep the stock tubes for a spare set...

There is a downside about getting this amp, I can't swing the 2202 now, so I'll have to saving again...Who knows, I may not even need that amp now, but will have to give the mini some time to see how it really does...

Speaking of which, I haven't even plugged this thing in yet, so I'm outta here for a while... :crazy:

I'll put some better pics up tomorrow, & will definitely have some clips... :minernuggs:

More to come...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Fuck yeah miner!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That’s awesome miner. Looking forward to listening to the clips as this amp really got me thinking when I tried one last week... it’s 530am here though so I’ll listen in a few hours.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I took a few pics today while I was swapping the power tubes:

I know it doesn't affect the sound, but I like the way the black chassis & pcb's look:

FWIW, there is no bias adjustment in this amp, it's plug-n-play...Some amps are self-biasing but still have the bias wheel/pot/pots (like the EVH LBX & Egnater Tweaker), but this one doesn't...

I got to run it through my EVH cab for a while today & get loud for a little while...It's a loud little amp, but doesn't compare to 50/100w amps at all (obviously), but I think you could probably gig with it in the general area where I live...I know in the bars/clubs/whatever away from here, bands get pretty damn loud (this is referring to you Gerg... :biggrin: ), & it might not be loud enough, but it'd probably work pretty good locally...

Switching between the 20w & 5w mode, to me there's not a lot of difference in the volume/loudness...I don't think there's much difference in the tone either...

I still can't get over the clean channel, it sounds really good to me...The rhythm clip is an added bonus I didn't expect, it sounds a lot like the guitar tones from the 70's I grew up listening to...

I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I like this amp, a lot... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH