Amp Deal

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Amp Deal

Post by JD01 »

Cheers,
That makes a bit more sense. I'll remember that post when I go back to try the amp again. I want to properly work out what push/pull the footswitch works and stuff like that too. Cracking sounding amp though.

Next time you go on one of your guitar shop pub crawls check out the MKII Blackstar HT50 you'll be impressed by how they've changed it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 am Cheers,
That makes a bit more sense. I'll remember that post when I go back to try the amp again. I want to properly work out what push/pull the footswitch works and stuff like that too. Cracking sounding amp though.
Yeah and you can teach the dumbass that works in that shop how to work an amp he's trying to sell to people.
Next time you go on one of your guitar shop pub crawls check out the MKII Blackstar HT50 you'll be impressed by how they've changed it.
I'm going today so I'll look out for one.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool. Like you said, I'm sure I'll get my head around the Marshall. One thing I would like to make sure I can do is get from the gain sound I want to a semi clean edge of crunch with the click of the footswitch. It cleaned up so well with on gain though. Went from pretty high gain to almost clean with the coil split.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:30 am I also tried the Mk2 blackstar HT50.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/blackstar-h ... AsQAvD_BwE
That one.
I was really skeptical about this cos of my previous experience with the muddy low mid in my MKI Blackstar.

Well... wow. Whatever they've done has really worked. The mid control is now an agressive upper mid that you can enjoy messing with instead of a muddy low mid that you have to work out what to deal with. Also got two voicings on the clean and two on the dirty channel. Also I'm familiar with the control layout and stuff, the ISF is also far more versatile now. Switchable down to 5W too.
I have mentioned this a few times on a few different forums but the bigger you go in the blackstar family the better the tone and product gets. That one that you tried is a pretty great amp and you aren't bound by whatever speakers blackstar throws in the combos and cab's which will help quite a bit too. You got your V30 cab so bobs your uncle.

I remember when Blackstar announced their presence and story i was super excited but all i could afford was the HT-5 so when i demo'd it i left feeling, a little bummed out. it wasn't at all what i thought it was going to be. The HT-1 was a better amp for what iot was than the HT5. A few years later i went to the big city and got to try 100W HT venue and it was a whole different ballgame. Same with the 40W venue model they had night and day differences. obviously. After that experience My opinion on what blackstars problem right out of the gate was that they tooted this horn of "former Marshall employees+budget every-man pricing" and people were expecting to get huge Marshall sounds out of their 1w 5w and 15 watt every-man amps. Which just was the furthest thing from the truth. The story they were selling was nice but a little misleading. It's been 10+ years now and i am sure they have made some positive changes.

I have the Fly3 stereo combo on my wishlist for Christmas just to have in the basement for putzing around and because i do not own a Bluetooth speaker. :lollers2: :lollers2:
:happytrees:
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

I found the same with the Marshall DSL - the 15W head sounded terrible, like it had an eq blanket over it, much like the descriptions of the smaller Blackstar I've seen on here. But, the 100W DSL gets a good write up from Greg and Minerman and I've heard Miner's recorded tones on that amp and they sound great.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:14 pm I have mentioned this a few times on a few different forums but the bigger you go in the blackstar family the better the tone and product gets. That one that you tried is a pretty great amp and you aren't bound by whatever speakers blackstar throws in the combos and cab's which will help quite a bit too. You got your V30 cab so bobs your uncle.

I remember when Blackstar announced their presence and story i was super excited but all i could afford was the HT-5 so when i demo'd it i left feeling, a little bummed out. it wasn't at all what i thought it was going to be. The HT-1 was a better amp for what iot was than the HT5. A few years later i went to the big city and got to try 100W HT venue and it was a whole different ballgame. Same with the 40W venue model they had night and day differences. obviously. After that experience My opinion on what blackstars problem right out of the gate was that they tooted this horn of "former Marshall employees+budget every-man pricing" and people were expecting to get huge Marshall sounds out of their 1w 5w and 15 watt every-man amps. Which just was the furthest thing from the truth. The story they were selling was nice but a little misleading. It's been 10+ years now and i am sure they have made some positive changes.

I have the Fly3 stereo combo on my wishlist for Christmas just to have in the basement for putzing around and because i do not own a Bluetooth speaker. :lollers2: :lollers2:
I agree. I was excited for Blackstar when they came out. Seemed like an awesome idea. Then I heard one, and they don't work for me. Very underwhelming. The bigger ones are indeed better, but that pretty much goes for any amp. Bigger is better. And if I'm looking for a 50 or 100w amp, it aint ever gonna be a Blackstar. When you got to amps that big, I think only a few brands do it best.
jonny deep wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:35 pm I found the same with the Marshall DSL - the 15W head sounded terrible, like it had an eq blanket over it, much like the descriptions of the smaller Blackstar I've seen on here. But, the 100W DSL gets a good write up from Greg and Minerman and I've heard Miner's recorded tones on that amp and they sound great.
Yeah true. To me, the DSLs sound great, and I think that amp family comes alive with the 40w combo. It sounds pretty good. Everything less than that is pretty meh.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Jdude, I know it's none of my business, but there are a few online retail shops that will let you get gear on monthly payments man so you don't have to fork out a big amount all at once...

How do you think I got the SG, the LP, & about 75% of the other gear I have??? For the past couple years I've been on a fixed income that's about half of what I made while I was working...

Dude if you find something you really want, instead of settling for something that's "good enough for now", there are ways to make it happen man...I'm not telling you what to do at all brother, but again, there are ways to make things happen...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Minerman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:43 pm there are ways to make things happen...
This sounds very mafia-like. I just picture miner pulling out a knife and wiping it in a handkerchief when i read that.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:39 pm Cool. Like you said, I'm sure I'll get my head around the Marshall. One thing I would like to make sure I can do is get from the gain sound I want to a semi clean edge of crunch with the click of the footswitch. It cleaned up so well with on gain though. Went from pretty high gain to almost clean with the coil split.
One thing that I think is different about the reissue Jubilees vs the originals is the Rhythm Clip. I can't remember which is which, but on either the reissue or the original, the rhythm clip does not affect the lead channel. I think it's on the original that the rhythm clip has no affect on the lead channel. My bandmate Chris has a 100w Jubilee reissue, I'll check his on friday and see how the rhythm clip affects his lead channel.
Rebel Yell