Carvin going out of business!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Carvin going out of business!

Post by Lt. Bob »

Feel sorta sad about it ...... I've been puring thru their catalogs for 50 years.

They're liquidating so I hopped on their site but it looks like all the guitar amps are gone .

Poopy
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Carvin going out of business!

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Shitness. That sucks. Sorry bob.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm surprised a company that has zero retail presence lasted this long anyway.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I saw that today. I don't think that I've ever used any of their gear, but I do remember pining over one of their custom guitars when I was in high school. They'd sent out one of their catalogs and I was totally on board with their prices. Honestly, I'd love to play through one of their amps. Isn't is Ocnor that has a Carvin Legacy or something similar? I thought his guitar tone was pretty awesome.

It's funny, on all of the Facebook posts that I saw about this today, the most common comment was "but what will Steve Vai use now?".
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:30 am I'm surprised a company that has zero retail presence lasted this long anyway.
:agree:

I have never seen a Carvin guitar or amp in a store. Ever. Only in pictures. They may well have had good stuff from a playing point of view, but their guitar design, visually, I always found a little underwhelming.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I've played their stuff ..... good solid gear.
The guitars will continue to be made ..... just the amps and PA gear are ending.

But the guitars will no longer be called Carvin.
It's keiser now or something like that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I just recently got my very first piece of Carvin gear - a 4x12 cab - and it was free. Very good cab. I think it has much better build quality than any of my Marshall cabs.

I think maybe time and tastes passed Carvin by. They don't sell in brick-and-mortar retail, they don't have any live presence, they don't have a stable of endorsed popular players. Steve Vai is/was their big name. Lol. Steve Vai. Seriously.

They're like Peavey. At one time Peavey was everywhere.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I actually would have thought that now's their time because brick and mortar stores are dying away as people buy more stuff online.

But I guess not ......
I'ma calling them today ..... if they have a V3 micro left I'm buying it
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:26 am I actually would have thought that now's their time because brick and mortar stores are dying away as people buy more stuff online.
I think that would probably be very true if they had any kind of hands-on face time in brick and mortar stores before the collapse. Even with the decline of music stores, it's relatively easy to go try a bunch of different stuff in person and then buy it online. That's what's killing brick and mortar retail, but Carvin never had that luxury. Unless you find a used Carvin amp in a corner, there's pretty much no way to go play with one.
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:05 am I saw that today. I don't think that I've ever used any of their gear, but I do remember pining over one of their custom guitars when I was in high school. They'd sent out one of their catalogs and I was totally on board with their prices. Honestly, I'd love to play through one of their amps. Isn't is Ocnor that has a Carvin Legacy or something similar? I thought his guitar tone was pretty awesome.

It's funny, on all of the Facebook posts that I saw about this today, the most common comment was "but what will Steve Vai use now?".
Yep I have a Carvin Legacy. When plugged into my Marshall 1982 cab loaded with G12H-30 55hz speakers [original from 1978] it sounds amazing. I think alot of people avoided this amp because of Steve Vai. I don't care for him much either but I love the amp. I've owned a couple other Carvin amps but they just didn't compare to the Legacy.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.