Gibson Double Cut

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Gibson Double Cut

Post by JD01 »

Can't decide whether I like this or not
I think it looks alright but the fact its a Gibson is just weird. Its also very expensive.
Greg_L

Re: Gibson Double Cut

Post by Greg_L »

It's a no for me.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

If it was a flat slab, not an archtop and in a light colour I think I would prefer it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 am If it was a flat slab, not an archtop and in a light colour I think I would prefer it.
I think I agree. I don't hate it, I just wouldn't want it. It's way too close to a PRS shape, which is basically just massaged double-cut LP. And the controls layout is basically the same. It's like the originator and copy-cat have come full circle.

It would be like Marshall making their own amp model based off a modded clone.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:55 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 am If it was a flat slab, not an archtop and in a light colour I think I would prefer it.
I think I agree. I don't hate it, I just wouldn't want it. It's way too close to a PRS shape, which is basically just massaged double-cut LP. It's like the originator and copy-cat have come full circle.
Yeah - I think if it looked more basic (and 'cost 700 quid instead of 4 grand) it would be cooler. Like the new Yamahas which are pretty cool. There's nothing wrong with Gibson trying something a bit new.

EDIT: Yamaha Revstars
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:57 am
Yeah - I think if it looked more basic (and 'cost 700 quid instead of 4 grand) it would be cooler. Like the new Yamahas which are pretty cool. There's nothing wrong with Gibson trying something a bit new.

EDIT: Yamaha Revstars
Yeah I like the Revstars. Cool guitars.

There is everything wrong with Gibson trying something new. I'm sure you've noticed that Gibson people go spastic whenever they change something...myself sort of included. I get that they feel they have to progress and get new customers...but they do it at the expense of their old customers. Gibson is in their own Metallica Load and Re-Load era.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:03 am There is everything wrong with Gibson trying something new. I'm sure you've noticed that Gibson people go spastic whenever they change something...myself sort of included. I get that they feel they have to progress and get new customers...but they do it at the expense of their old customers. Gibson is in their own Metallica Load and Re-Load era.
That's true, but its not like they're going to stop making traditional Les Pauls. They're in a bit of an awkward spot in that they decide they want to make a green guitar and everyone loses their shit.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Check out this Revstar
Its less than 400 quid too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:06 am
That's true, but its not like they're going to stop making traditional Les Pauls.
No, but they spread themselves too thin and I think that makes the prices keep going up and up and up and quality goes down and down and down. Do some of the new features get new people to buy new Gibsons? I'm sure. But they keep people like me from buying one. You know I'll drop some cash on a guitar or amp if I really want it. There's not one new product in Gibson's world right now that would get me to part with my money. And I don't know if it's a coincidence or a symptom, but Gibson's expanding product line and the features within coincide with a serious drop in build quality....but not a drop in prices.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I agree about their drop in quality. As you know I was considering LP studios a few years ago - I played on loads of them and the quality was well patchy. I did play on a nice LP Traditional but that was over 2 grand and I'm not going to sink that much money into a guitar again.

There's millions of guitars in Fender's range though and they don't seem to suffer from it like Gibson.. maybe its just a cost cutting thing from Gibson. They seem unwilling to have stuff branded Gibson but have it be built in Indo or Korea. There are some really nice guitars built in Indonesia and, particularly, Korea.

I've played loads of Mexican and Indonesian Fenders and they're great.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I don't know why Fender can do it and Gibson can't. Maybe Mutt can answer that. Maybe Fenders are easier to build? They're pretty modular. I don't know. They don't really seem to try to reinvent themselves every year either. Fender had their WTF period in the 70s-80s. It's too bad for me that they don't make anything that I like....besides amps. I love their amps! :?
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:07 am Check out this Revstar
Its less than 400 quid too.
wait a min? dont you have one of the best guitars ever built (imo) a washburn falcon? .. this thing looks like a pale copy of that imo ...

i kinda like/not like the 1st post gibbo too,i would defo have one though :like:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 am wait a min? dont you have one of the best guitars ever built (imo) a washburn falcon? .. this thing looks like a pale copy of that imo ...
Nope - I recently sold it for 300 quid and bought an Indonesian Squire Jazz Bass which is actually lovely and I really enjoy playing it.

I kinda based my custom partly on the Washburn though.

My custom is kind of like a Frankenstien of my favourite bits from a Les Paul, Washburn Falcon, Telecaster and Ibanez
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:10 am
cakewalkKaKed wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 am wait a min? dont you have one of the best guitars ever built (imo) a washburn falcon? .. this thing looks like a pale copy of that imo ...
Nope - I recently sold it for 300 quid and bought an Indonesian Squire Jazz Bass which is actually lovely and I really enjoy playing it.

I kinda based my custom partly on the Washburn though.

My custom is kind of like a Frankenstien of my favourite bits from a Les Paul, Washburn Falcon, Telecaster and Ibanez
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!! bastard,wish id known .. and had the cash :( .. ah well,they were a bit of a bastard to play higher up,knuckles rapping on the horn :D

i`ll be scouting the forum again later,no doubt ill come across pics of the new custom :)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't think it would have posted to America very cheaply anyway. There's heaps of pictures of my custom on the forum.

I didn't find them that hard to play high up but I don't go above the 17th fret that often.
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:25 am I don't think it would have posted to America very cheaply anyway. There's heaps of pictures of my custom on the forum.

I didn't find them that hard to play high up but I don't go above the 17th fret that often.
you prob have waaaaaaaaaaay cleaner technique than me .. mines a mess,like a horde of crumpet doing the can can .. legs flying everywhere :D
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That is a hideous Gibson in the original post. An easy pass for me.
:happytrees: