Can someone enlighten me?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
liv_rong

Can someone enlighten me?

Post by liv_rong »

I've heard gripes of LP tuning issues, I've had none. But what is the deal with this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by liv_rong on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Re: Can someone enlighten me?

Post by Greg_L »

We have a thread about that here somewhere. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:08 pm We have a thread about that here somewhere. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.
↑ This...I don't have any tuning issues with either of my Gibsons, I can understand folks who play live & really "wring the neck", but not me...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

All I want to know is: who is rigsofshit, and how can I become friends with him? :D

Yeah, my LP doesn't have tuning issues other than right after I pick it up. But once I tune it, it seems to stay there until I put it down.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

lol at rigs of shit. he probably has a wall of peavey solid state amps.

In all fairness i do have tuning issues with all my LP style head stocks. Mostly just the G string. literally on all of them. it may be my wongo way i play and the g string get's more mileage? Maybe? I dunno? But i can confrim that the G string is sort of a prick.

Is it that much of a problem that i'd put one of those on my guitars?

no.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The G string can be a problem on any Gibson style headstock. It doesn't have to be though. And you don't need one of these goofy gimmicks. You just need to fix the nut.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

WJ, I'm willing to bet that the problem with your G gets worse as the strings get older. The deal is. A string needs three things to stay in tune, tension, its length and even mass per unit length. Because the G string is operating at relatively higher tension than other strings, has a greater mass per unit length any change in either will sound out worse than the other strings. Its simple physics.

Changing the break angle of the string compensates for none of the above. The tension in the string can only change if the string is pinched by the nut so make sure the nut slot is cut correctly. Other things that change tension such as the neck moving or excessively high action while fretting would affect all strings not just the G. The even mass per unit length of a string changes as it gets old due to wear and work hardening. It shows more on the G as it operates closer to its maximum tension..
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 am WJ, I'm willing to bet that the problem with your G gets worse as the strings get older. The deal is. A string needs three things to stay in tune, tension, its length and even mass per unit length. Because the G string is operating at relatively higher tension than other strings, has a greater mass per unit length any change in either will sound out worse than the other strings. Its simple physics.

Changing the break angle of the string compensates for none of the above. The tension in the string can only change if the string is pinched by the nut so make sure the nut slot is cut correctly. Other things that change tension such as the neck moving or excessively high action while fretting would affect all strings not just the G. The even mass per unit length of a string changes as it gets old due to wear and work hardening. It shows more on the G as it operates closer to its maximum tension..
yea i have been sort of told that in not so many words (and sceince) I have replaced saddles in the past and it still never helps. I'll investigate the nut thing.
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Just think of it in easy terms. A string must be at tension, of a constant mass and of specific length. If you change one of those things the pitch changes. Its simply a matter of working out which has changed... Length, tension or mass.... In your case it can only be the tension or the mass as if it was the string length all strings would be out so you are left with either tension (piching in the nut) or mass (wear on the string). You can rule out the later by putting on a new string and seeing if it hold tune. Then you are left only with tension in the string as the cause.

Also dont forget to understand intonation and how it works.. That can also be a bitch on the G and sometimes the b for the reasons I mentioned in my last post. I did a long FAQ on intonation and temprament over at HR. I'm not sure if I can get there to copy it as I'm perma b&. Maybe some one who is still a member there can copy it over..? Its a pretty useful read and someting all guitar players and engineers need to grasp.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

muttley wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:02 pm ...I did a long FAQ on intonation and temprament over at HR. I'm not sure if I can get there to copy it as I'm perma b&. Maybe some one who is still a member there can copy it over..? Its a pretty useful read and someting all guitar players and engineers need to grasp.
You mean this 'un? http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment- ... ed-290728/
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

Sweetdan - i pm`d mutt his 1st post in that thread .. i think :D

its sitting in the outbox
JD01

Post by JD01 »

So, Mutt. What do you think of the Buzz Feiten Tuning System?
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:15 am So, Mutt. What do you think of the Buzz Feiten Tuning System?
Its bollox. You cant "fix" tuning temperament problems that are inherent to the modern 12 note ET tuning system.

I'll post up the tuning stickie from HR in another thread.