NAD!!!!!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

NAD!!!!!

Post by Greg_L »

New amp day for Greg because I seriously have a disease. :cuckoo:

Found this bad beast while in Chicago.

1973 Marshall Super Lead 100 :guitarhero:

Serial E = 1973

It's a "Rosemary". Rosemary was a lady that worked on the amps and her amps are famous in Marshall folklore for being good ones. It really doesn't mean anything, but Rosemary amps are kind of jokingly considered "special". I think it's mainly because it's a cute name and her name is usually the only one that's ever legible on the build tags. There is also a rumor/tale that Ritchie Blackmore had a thing for her, and he pursued her, but she was already married and left him rejected. Just a story. Anyway...Rosemary.

The guts...original mustard caps and piher resistors. No mods or molestation that I can see, aside from the 6550 to EL34 conversion, which looks correct to me, and a modern 3-prong power cord has been added. This is a US model so it came with 6550s and the third polarity switch, which is now disconnected with the modern power cord. The output transformer and speaker jacks are not original. Everything else seems to be about right as far as I can tell.

The back. Clean everywhere.

I need this amp like I need a hole in the head, but goddamn, it's the real deal and it's from the year I was born. That was the main thing. I've been looking for a clean 73 for a long time. So I just had to get it. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Re: NAD!!!!!

Post by liv_rong »

Awesome dude!

When where you in Chicago?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Excellent score. Obviously not one to pass in case some one bought it and modded it to scooped modern.
Cool story too.
Where are the build tags? I'd love to look at mine.
I've talked to a tech about modding my superbass - he's keen to do it but is busy at present. I'll take my time finding a courier and getting it there.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool. Is that 100W?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:13 pm Awesome dude!

When where you in Chicago?
Thanks. Last week/weekend. Riot Fest. We've gone for the past three years.
rayc wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 pm Excellent score. Obviously not one to pass in case some one bought it and modded it to scooped modern.
Cool story too.
Where are the build tags? I'd love to look at mine.
I've talked to a tech about modding my superbass - he's keen to do it but is busy at present. I'll take my time finding a courier and getting it there.
Thanks Ray. Remove the back panel and you should see the build tag stuck to the chassis near the preamp tubes. You might even be able to see it through the mesh on the rear panel or through the top vent.
JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pmCool. Is that 100W?
Yeah. :coolstorybro:

When I tried it out at the shop in Chicago I had it cranking in this tiny little room. My wife was outside in the main part of the store and she said the whole place was shaking. It was so loud in there I couldn't even really hear it for what it is. It was just a roar of sound. I was really just making sure the controls worked as they should and it didn't hum or pop or have any ghost notes. Then I had them take it apart so I could "inspect" it. I don't really know what I'm looking for, but I know enough to spot obvious tweaks, mods, or suspicious potential problem areas.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Holy fuck.....Dude, you seriously need to get some professional help over there, you definitely have a serious addiction....You could start getting your feet on the right path by sending me your lowly 50 watters... :biggrin:

Congrats man, looks like it's in really good shape...I dunno from experience, but I've read an un-molested early-make Marshall of any kind is getting harder & harder to find...

You know this is coming, so how much $$$???
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:56 pm Holy fuck.....Dude, you seriously need to get some professional help over there, you definitely have a serious addiction....You could start getting your feet on the right path by sending me your lowly 50 watters... :biggrin:

Congrats man, looks like it's in really good shape...I dunno from experience, but I've read an un-molested early-make Marshall of any kind is getting harder & harder to find...

You know this is coming, so how much $$$???
Thanks miner.

They were asking $2300. I pointed out the non-original bits and offered $1800. They took it. I should have went lower! :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Man that thing is beautiful!!

Perfect condition ..... really clean.

Inside and out too .... wow ....

Can't wait to hear it.

Congrats!
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Wow that is one nice amp. And can't believe how clean it is. Great score.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:56 am Man that thing is beautiful!!

Perfect condition ..... really clean.

Inside and out too .... wow ....

Can't wait to hear it.

Congrats!
Thanks Boob. It's in remarkable condition for it's age. Hell, not even "for it's age". It's in amazing condition for any age. I don't know the back story of this amp, but it's clearly lived a sheltered life of doing pretty much nothing. I can't imagine this thing has ever been gigged.
ido1957 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:01 am Wow that is one nice amp. And can't believe how clean it is. Great score.
Thanks ido! :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Here's a couple more pics because I'm just so amazed by this thing.

The damage! A couple tiny scuffs and some patina on the handle.

Front face

The back
Rebel Yell
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

Nice one, Greg! I assume you'll stop buying Marshalls when it you can't get in the room any more?!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

jonny deep wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:30 am Nice one, Greg! I assume you'll stop buying Marshalls when it you can't get in the room any more?!
Well, I thought I was done a while back. I haven't gassed for an amp in a long time. And I wasn't gassing for this one, but I have always wanted a 73 and the stars just happened to line up this time. :chillin
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Dude Congrats on that !!! That is amazing. Way to go on the price too!! Chances are good you could have got it for less if they were that easy going.

Stoked to hear that bad boy.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:47 pm Dude Congrats on that !!! That is amazing. Way to go on the price too!! Chances are good you could have got it for less if they were that easy going.

Stoked to hear that bad boy.
Thanks. Yeah I thought I shot them a fair offer. It wasn't an insulting low-ball, but just based off my own Marshall experiences I figured the amp's real retail worth is about $2000. I've seen worse amps go for way more. So I expected them to refuse my $1800 offer and we'd end up around $1900-2000 since they were asking $2300. The guy did think about it for a bit, but he accepted, to my surprise. They must have really shafted the previous owner if they could take my low-ish offer and still make money on the deal. So I feel like we all ended up okay. I didn't overpay for a very clean vintage Marshall, and they made their money too. Win/win. I do wonder though how low I could have gone. :eep:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Dang dude, that's awesome! Looks great, and I bet it sounds great too.

Since the output tranny has been replaced, I'd take it that the amp has at least seen enough roaring face-melting volume that it blew at least once ;)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

What do the 4 inputs on the front of one of them do?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:26 pm Dang dude, that's awesome! Looks great, and I bet it sounds great too.

Since the output tranny has been replaced, I'd take it that the amp has at least seen enough roaring face-melting volume that it blew at least once ;)
Lol. Could be. My initial thoughts on that are since the speaker jacks are also non-original, I'm thinking that maybe a jack failed and took the output tranny with it. And since all four speaker jacks were replaced, I'm thinking maybe they thought if one jack failed, they all may fail, so they replaced all of them.

That's just my own theory based on nothing. :sherlock:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:32 pm What do the 4 inputs on the front of one of them do?
These amps are two channels. Volume 1 is the bright channel. Volume 2 is the normal channel. The two left vertical inputs go with Volume 1, the two right vertical inputs go with Volume 2. With each pair of channel inputs, the top input is full signal, the lower input is lower sensitivity. The low inputs are something like a ~6db signal cut. Some say the origins of this setup come from early humbucker and single coil guitars. Humbuckers have more output, so the user could use the lower input. Singles have less output, so they'd use the top input. I don't know how true that is, but it didn't take long for people to figure out that plugging a humbucker guitar into the high input was glorious.

Anyway...Volume 1 is bright and cutting and Volume 2 is darker and smoother. You can use either input for either channel and dial it in however you want with the corresponding volume knob. But...since the two channels are independent, you can use them both at the same time. This is where you see people jumping channels with a small patch cable. The most common example would be plugging the guitar into the top input of Channel 1. Then you run a small cable from the lower input of Channel 1 to the high input of Channel 2. Then both channels are active from one guitar signal and you can blend the two channels to taste with the volume knobs. Most people use Vol 1 for the bulk of their grinding sound, and blend in Vol 2 for a little added thickness. Or you could use a Y-cable. I prefer the Y-cable myself.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers. Always wondered about that