NAD!!!!!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: NAD!!!!!

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:33 pm Yeah I didn't wanna do the double-track-wide thing. Simple song, keep it simple. Thanks dude.
I like it man, but like I said, it just sounds a little odd to me after hearing double tracked guitars panned out...Seems like the new amp is a beast...

A little off-topic here, but what do you think of the 50w, 3-channel EVH amps??? Have you played through one??? A buddy slung a deal at me on one of those amps, but I'm not sure about it...If you've fucked around with 'em, lemme know what you think...I really like my 15w EVH, & it's supposed to sound a lot like it's bigger brothers...Again, lemme know what you think of those amps...
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:54 pm Also in keeping with the NAD theme tomorrow Long and McQuade is doing a half price rental day, so i may grab a JCM900 for a month. I wont get to use it much but it might be fun.
That amp should sound pretty good through your Orange cab dude...Just remember if you rent it, it doesn't really start delivering the goods until you get the volume around 4 or so...That's how the Viet cong version made by the NVA I had was...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:50 pm

A little off-topic here, but what do you think of the 50w, 3-channel EVH amps??? Have you played through one??? A buddy slung a deal at me on one of those amps, but I'm not sure about it...If you've fucked around with 'em, lemme know what you think...I really like my 15w EVH, & it's supposed to sound a lot like it's bigger brothers...Again, lemme know what you think of those amps...
I have played with a lot of them. My buddy Chris rips on them when we go running around. He likes them. I think they're okay. Good quality, way too much gain for me, but they seem to be pretty good. They started out as the Peavey 5150, remember those? Then that deal ended and Peavey relabeled it the 6505. Then Fender picked it up and now it's the "EVH" series. They're all basically the same amp.

The name is misleading though. They do not have the "EVH sound". If you're looking for vintage Eddie/Marshall "brown sound", that amp aint it. It's just a good general high-gain rock/metal amp.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:19 pm Greg,
It sounds ace.
You may as well mix the drums to mono and get the 1st album vibe properly.
Cool sound all round.
An amp that certainly lives up to the legend.
How hard were you hitting the skins?
Here ya go Ray, a mono mix. :sherlock:
I Wanna Be Well Mono.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:37 pm I have played with a lot of them. My buddy Chris rips on them when we go running around. He likes them. I think they're okay. Good quality, way too much gain for me, but they seem to be pretty good. They started out as the Peavey 5150, remember those? Then that deal ended and Peavey relabeled it the 6505. Then Fender picked it up and now it's the "EVH" series. They're all basically the same amp.

The name is misleading though. They do not have the "EVH sound". If you're looking for vintage Eddie/Marshall "brown sound", that amp aint it. It's just a good general high-gain rock/metal amp.
Cool dude, I was pretty sure you'd messed with 'em...Yeah I know how that amp started, then ended up at Fender...

And yeah, I already know the brown sound ain't gonna be in the EVH amps...You held my hand & walked me through a bunch of that 3-4 years ago...That's when I bought the Chupa...I originally was gonna buy an Orange OR15, then changed my mind & was gonna get a hand built, one-off custom 10 or 15 watt clone from GR amps, but ran into the Chupa...You were a big help with that stuff, & whether you know it or not, you played a big part in the amp I chose to buy...

The "real" brown sound is basically just a super lead cranked, with some sort of boost hitting the input...I've read he used an echoplex for that...On top of the cranked SLP & a boost, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of studio trickery with that tone too...If we were able to go back to 1978 (or whenever) & listen to just the guitar>boost>amp, it'd be your normal kerrang those amps do so well...

Honestly, it's hard to say what that fucker used, even though he's one of the top 5 players on my list, you can't believe anything he says because he's full completely of shit...

I'm not really looking for that tone dude, just wanted to know what you thought about the 50w EVH head...Not sure it's gonna happen, but this is a pretty good deal, & would be kinda hard to pass on...It's almost as good a deal as the head & cabinet I got a while back...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:02 pm
Here ya go Ray, a mono mix. :sherlock:

I Wanna Be Well Mono.mp3
That sounds great. May I keep it?
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:13 pm
Cool dude, I was pretty sure you'd messed with 'em...Yeah I know how that amp started, then ended up at Fender...

And yeah, I already know the brown sound ain't gonna be in the EVH amps...You held my hand & walked me through a bunch of that 3-4 years ago...That's when I bought the Chupa...I originally was gonna buy an Orange OR15, then changed my mind & was gonna get a hand built, one-off custom 10 or 15 watt clone from GR amps, but ran into the Chupa...You were a big help with that stuff, & whether you know it or not, you played a big part in the amp I chose to buy...

The "real" brown sound is basically just a super lead cranked, with some sort of boost hitting the input...I've read he used an echoplex for that...On top of the cranked SLP & a boost, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of studio trickery with that tone too...If we were able to go back to 1978 (or whenever) & listen to just the guitar>boost>amp, it'd be your normal kerrang those amps do so well...

Honestly, it's hard to say what that fucker used, even though he's one of the top 5 players on my list, you can't believe anything he says because he's full completely of shit...

I'm not really looking for that tone dude, just wanted to know what you thought about the 50w EVH head...Not sure it's gonna happen, but this is a pretty good deal, & would be kinda hard to pass on...It's almost as good a deal as the head & cabinet I got a while back...
Fucking Eddie Van Halen...so much folklore and lies and truths surrounding his sound. There is definitely something special about that first album sound. It's a lot more than just "cranked Plexi" though. It's everything. It's his fingers, his guitar, the variac, the amp itself, maybe some mods, definitely a boost, there are also stories of him slaving the amp into a separate power amp. Lots of people have achieved that sound, or damn close to it, and no one does it by just cranking a 68 Plexi. No one. It requires mods and shenanigans. Lots of those old players boosted their amps without even really knowing it, or it just wasn't considered that way. Echoplexes, wireless units, tape delays...lots of them had built in preamps that boosted the signal hitting the amp. Everyone from Ace to Eddie to Angus used that stuff. The world may never know what Eddie and his engineers really did to get that sound, but it doesn't even matter. It can be done lots of ways. The harder part is playing like that if you want to sound like that. I've never had any desire to sound or play like that.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:33 pm
That sounds great. May I keep it?
Thanks. Yeah go ahead. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Ta,
it's a cool one - you do Joey REALLY well.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:43 pm Ta,
it's a cool one - you do Joey REALLY well.
Lol well, I don't try to. I try to do everything in my own voice, but I guess it can't be helped sometimes.

If anyone cares, here's the real thing.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp2XnTAOHdA[/BBvideo]
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:40 pm Fucking Eddie Van Halen...so much folklore and lies and truths surrounding his sound. There is definitely something special about that first album sound.
+1,000,000 dude, the guy is a living legend to me, & one of my first guitar heroes, but you can't believe anything from him...The only time he lies is when he talks... :biggrin:

The first album's tone was/is the best he's ever done IMO, as time progressed, it lost the rawness of that album & became more polished...To me, that's the "grail" tone, but to each his own...

You're right, it is more than a boosted, cranked plexi, it's his playing, plus a million other things...
I remember you posting a JVM tone for me that was pretty damn close... :minernuggs:

Gonna ponder on the amp deal I mentioned for a few days...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

antichef

Post by antichef »

Beautiful!!!

I had to get the impedance selector replaced on my old 50 watt. It failed while I was playing and the amp caught on fire. Trannys were ok - just lost the power tubes.

Safety > original parts

Amazing amp!!! Patience and alertness pay off in the long run
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

antichef wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:50 am Beautiful!!!

I had to get the impedance selector replaced on my old 50 watt. It failed while I was playing and the amp caught on fire. Trannys were ok - just lost the power tubes.

Safety > original parts

Amazing amp!!! Patience and alertness pay off in the long run
Thanks dude. I remember you telling me about your amp fire before. I've poked and prodded at my impedance selector. It looks really good and the little plug fits really tight. I don't plan on gigging this amp much and never change the switch off 16 ohm anyway, so I'm gonna let it ride and hope for the best. :crazy:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

that's a pretty fat sounding Marshall ...... not quite as much 'bonk' but really full sounding.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:05 pm that's a pretty fat sounding Marshall ...... not quite as much 'bonk' but really full sounding.
It's all-knobs-cranked and a pretty dark mic position. I was surprised myself at how super-fat it got like that.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:24 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:05 pm that's a pretty fat sounding Marshall ...... not quite as much 'bonk' but really full sounding.
It's all-knobs-cranked and a pretty dark mic position. I was surprised myself at how super-fat it got like that.
it's killer man ..... really different than your usual but still recognizably Marshall.
When I played with Gregg Wright (google him I guess) he used two stacks and would walk up to the amp and run his finger along the tops of the knobs ...... bzzzt ..... everything on full!
:punk:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:48 pm
it's killer man ..... really different than your usual but still recognizably Marshall.
When I played with Gregg Wright (google him I guess) he used two stacks and would walk up to the amp and run his finger along the tops of the knobs ...... bzzzt ..... everything on full!
:punk:
Ha that's great. :coolstorybro:

There's something about the tone stack in these non-master-vol Marshalls that allows them to be dialed in to crazy settings and still sound awesome. Once you get the volume up around 7 or 8 you can pretty much do whatever you want. Though it is kind of hard to make finer adjustments because the thing is just so unbelievably loud. At 130db it's just....whatever. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

My little end of the neighborhood is going to get a bit louder this afternoon. :happytrees: Gilly is going to spend the afternoon outside. :lollers: :lollers:

TRR user Hatfiled Creek hooked me up via L&M half price rental day. I also got the Traynor Iron Horse as well casue i started a cover with it and it kind of worked but i heard numerous fuck ups. So i'll retrack with a better knowledge of how my cab works.

But the 40W Ironhorse and the JCM800 came to a whopping 85 bucks for the month.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

So how many Marshalls have you got now Greg? And do you have anything other than Marshalls?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:09 pm My little end of the neighborhood is going to get a bit louder this afternoon. :happytrees: Gilly is going to spend the afternoon outside. :lollers: :lollers:

TRR user Hatfiled Creek hooked me up via L&M half price rental day. I also got the Traynor Iron Horse as well casue i started a cover with it and it kind of worked but i heard numerous fuck ups. So i'll retrack with a better knowledge of how my cab works.

But the 40W Ironhorse and the JCM800 came to a whopping 85 bucks for the month.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Armistice wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:56 pm So how many Marshalls have you got now Greg? And do you have anything other than Marshalls?
Six, and no.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

One word:

Tinnitus.
:happytrees: