Epiphone Dot

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

Epiphone Dot

Post by Armistice »

Any good?

Local music shop in the city is closing down and they have a few of these in amongst the pile of stuff going for quite cheap as they get into "final discounts" mode.

I assume there are largish trade offs vs a 335 but from what I read they're not bad bang for the buck.

When the store closes, the largest city in Australia will no longer have a music shop in the CBD. It was a crap store, but useful for strings and accessories and stuff.
Greg_L

Re: Epiphone Dot

Post by Greg_L »

I like them. Put some killer pickups and pots in it and it'll probably be great.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have an Epiphone Sheraton II which is VERY similar to the dot. They are good value and that value is lifted greatly by the addition of new selector, pots and pickups. In the short to medium term I can live well enough with the stuff on board but will, eventually, start to upgrade bits. They sound cool.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

I did a little research and the Dot vs Sheraton II thing is down to cosmetics. They're both logs with wings, the same neck, joint, and basic hardware. The II has fancy additions like "gold" plating. Oh, I was surprised by the weight of the thing though as a LP player it wouldn't seem heavy to you. Dot "Studio" has only 1 vol & 1 tone control.
When I was a frequent visitor to the city (monthly union meetings etc) I always went to Venue Music. It wasn't great but had a wide range and accessories galore. Now no more CBD music stores in Sydney - wow, sad day.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 pm I did a little research and the Dot vs Sheraton II thing is down to cosmetics. They're both logs with wings, the same neck, joint, and basic hardware. The II has fancy additions like "gold" plating. Oh, I was surprised by the weight of the thing though as a LP player it wouldn't seem heavy to you. Dot "Studio" has only 1 vol & 1 tone control.
When I was a frequent visitor to the city (monthly union meetings etc) I always went to Venue Music. It wasn't great but had a wide range and accessories galore. Now no more CBD music stores in Sydney - wow, sad day.
Yeah, I used to get my stuff from Venue when it was down in Druitt St. It reappeared around the corner later and wasn't as good. Long gone now. Anyway, you know I'm talking about Allan's, I'm sure - can't stand the place, but handy to have one in the city. I have never asked but often wondered how the f... you can pretend to be a music store of note ( :drums: ) when you don't stock Fender, Marshall, Vox, Maton and various other major brands.

If you want a guitar it's Gibson, Epi and a handful of Ibanez. If you want an amp it's Orange or Mesa, and that's pretty much it.

I probably won't get a Dot as I have long term aims to get another semi-acoustic guitar - depending upon finances, but at $500, they're not bad value. I saw the Sheraton IIs as well - they were more. I just flat out don't like gold hardware on electric guitars - it never lasts. Acoustics I'm OK with as it's just the tuners, but not electrics.

BTW, I was thinking about my "main" electric guitar lead the other day - it's got to be 20 years old and it's still fine. I mean, I have been in active bands with it, so it's been gigged a fair bit, and it's been used for studio work forever. It came from Venue.
rayc

Post by rayc »

$500 is a steal! I paid $1100 for the Sheraton in 2002. It has gold hardware which I hate BUT it was the only II that was available and was an insurance job for a stolen guitar so I decided to go for the more expensive one. I only had to pay 100. It's semi acoustic up to a point - really a plank with hollow wings that influence the sound a bit but not nearly as much as a true semi like my Jap ones.
I have my 1st guitar cable & it still works - bought in 1974! The one I like best is one that came with a drum machine in 85 though.
Actually my II came from Venue in Druitt. BH have REALLY changed in the last decade - I've not bothered with them because of the low rent nature of most of their stuff.
Cheers
rayc