Cab Purchase

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Cab Purchase

Post by JD01 »

OK, so I've decided to get this 2x12 - the idea being to assist in removing the boxiness from my tone which is currently my main concern. I reckon that after I upgrade my cab I can work on improving my tones further as I'm pretty sure I've taken them as far as I can with my combo:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton ... intage.htm

Question 1:
Have a look at the back panel of the 2x12 in the link above and the spec for the resistance of the speakers and compare it to the pick of the back panel of my amp:
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/n ... 603200.jpg

I just want to know if if they will work together and how I need to connect them up? 2 cables? 1 cable? There's a stereo/mono switch on the cab too. I just don't want to fuck anything up and make sure that I order the right speaker cables when I order the cab.

Question 2:
I want to "future proof" the cab to work with future amps. My current shortlist is:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/TM40H/gui ... -deluxe-40
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/TM20H/gui ... -tm20-head
Both links contain pics of the back-panel
And a V30:
http://www.victoryamps.com/uploads/2/3/ ... ssue_8.pdf
Pics of the backpanel are on page 4

I just don't want to fuck this up and kill an amp which I've started getting decent sounds out of now.. I've also found someone who wants to buy it if I upgrade the amp in a few months.
jonny deep

Re: Cab Purchase

Post by jonny deep »

Looks to me like you can go straight from your 8ohm tap to the 8ohm input on the cab, with the switch on the cab over to the right.

I don't understand how they can sell a cab loaded with V30s for nearly the same price as 2 V30s, especially considering this is a European company and the exchange rate being what it is now. I'd be concerned about the quality of this cab - have you checked out reviews?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

jonny deep wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:01 am Looks to me like you can go straight from your 8ohm tap to the 8ohm input on the cab, with the switch on the cab over to the right.

I don't understand how they can sell a cab loaded with V30s for nearly the same price as 2 V30s, especially considering this is a European company and the exchange rate being what it is now. I'd be concerned about the quality of this cab - have you checked out reviews?
Cheers,

Yeah - I specifically waited until a few independent reviews had come out, I think they build them in China and they're a massive distributor so to they rely on volume sales - and probably that people will buy other shit like cables and mics when they make the purchase.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah jonny got it right.

Switch the cab to 8 ohm mono, unplug your combo speaker, and run one cable from your head's (or any head's) 8 ohm jack to either jack on the cab. 8 ohm from the amp > 8 ohm mono on the cab.

You can basically ignore the stereo option on the cab. You are not using a stereo power amp. The only time you'd want that cab in stereo is if you want to run two heads into it or use a stereo power amp with stereo effects.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers guys,

I'll do the most "like for like" neutral tone comparison as I can when I get the cab - it will probably sound scoopy as fuck as most of the work I've done recently as been around getting rid of muddy/boxy low mids so I might have to put a bit back!

I'm gonna decide on a reasonably priced mic or two to throw in with it too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Don't forget a SPEAKER cable. I know that seems elementary, but you probably don't have one, right? An instrument cable is not a speaker cable.

And if you are buying a speaker cable, get a really long one. An amp's output signal is so beefy it can travel long cable runs without degradation, and a long cable will allow you to move the cab damn near anywhere in your house while you and the head sit right next to each other and wail phrygians.
Rebel Yell
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

I made my own speaker cable from a long run of power cabling from B&Q (cheap - 30m for a few pounds, I think they call it lamp cable) - that way I can have the cab in the garage if I want.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yup. Lamp cord is virtually the exact same stuff.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, I already had the speaker cable in mind but I didn't know about the lack of degradation - I think I will go for a really long one then and look at sticking the speaker somewhere out of the way.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Everybody has already said what you really need to know dude about matching the impedance, & I agree with a long speaker cable...I have a 40' cable for my amp so I can put the cab in another room...I bought 16 gauge which might be overkill, but I didn't wanna take a chance on fucking an amp up because I went cheap on the speaker cable...Plus, I've got plenty to spare if I need another, just whack off the length I need, solder the connectors & done...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

No...16 gauge is good for up to 50' with an 8 ohm load. There will be no noticeable effect on the audio signal.
If you go too thin and do long runs, you'll get resistance and some power loss.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just ordered a cab, the most expensive 15m speaker cable they had, a mic stand and an Audix i5 :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:30 pm Just ordered a cab, the most expensive 15m speaker cable they had, a mic stand and an Audix i5 :)
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:30 pm Just ordered a cab, the most expensive 15m speaker cable they had, a mic stand and an Audix i5 :)
Cool Jdude, I'm betting the 2x12 is gonna make a big difference in your tones, & the i5 is great for guitars...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

oh ..... CABinet purchase ..... I thought maybe you were going up against Uber
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Heck yeah, nice purchase JD! I think all of that will prove to be great investments.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Nice dude! I love new gear.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This is annoying.
Ordered the gear on Saturday for delivery to the office
Expected it to arrive at the office this week
Email from Thomann saying that they have delays in their warehouse
I work from home on Friday and am on leave next week
Was obviously hoping to have the new gear when I am on leave but its annoyingly not going to happen until I get back!
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

Tell them to deliver it to your house instead.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

jonny deep wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:14 am Tell them to deliver it to your house instead.
I'f they haven't dispatched by tomorrow I will. I won't be at my house until Thursday night so I want to hang on with that.

This always happens when I order shit on the internet 'cos I live a long way from where I work.