this new gibby is pretty but ....

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

Re: this new gibby is pretty but ....

Post by rayc »

It does look odd. the aesthetics of the original fittings were part of it's overall design considerations not to mention becoming concrete expectations. The bits are too small for the body to my eye.
I know - buy one and throw on a big fat Bigsby trem. That's add visual weight.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:55 am It does look odd. the aesthetics of the original fittings were part of it's overall design considerations not to mention becoming concrete expectations. The bits are too small for the body to my eye.
I know - buy one and throw on a big fat Bigsby trem. That's add visual weight.
That's a good analysis. Everything does indeed look too small on it. It's like a dude with a big head and small eyes.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Gibson do their research. The introduce changes to the design following the research and run them in parallel to the existing production models. Thats why Armi couldn't get the colour burst he wanted in Aus, if it had proven as a big seller they would have geared up for it. Ditto with robo tuners. They soon dropped them. Along with the zero fret. In truth Gibson have ALWAYS made minor and major changes. Some have stuck some haven't. That is how product development works. They will ditch what doesnt sell and keep what does and then increase the numbers on the shop floor. The base model remains the same.
muttley

Post by muttley »

As it happens I quite like the look of the pups without rings but the headstock and back not so much. I dont like plastic on a guitar so that suits me. If you remember that LP build I did years back on HR it wasnt a million miles from that look except I put a stainless and rosewood tailpiece on it and P90 soapbars..
rayc

Post by rayc »

I remember that build quite well Mutt. It looked good - it had a good visual balance - may have been the size of the P90s or your aesthetic eye but it worked. This one - "looks" like it has minibuckers and too much wood.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

muttley wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:47 am As it happens I quite like the look of the pups without rings
I agree
JD01

Post by JD01 »

The knobs are pretty grim, normal ones would be better.
I've never liked the plastic poker chip, but don't like this new naked look either, trying to think of something better.
I don't normally like pickup rings but it looks like something is missing on that. I don't like covered pickups, maybe if they were uncovered with a narrow metal pickup ring or something like that.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I never cared for how P90's look without any rings...always like the dog-ear style better.
The one P90 I have, I installed rings, they're chrome, and I think it looks much better now.

Without rings, there's an unfinished look...even on the Gibby where they at least cut the holes much tighter, and there's no obvious gaps like you see on most P90 cuts.
I know that preference for rings is probably because rings have been around for so long, and it's the more common look.
I didn't notice it at first, but looking at it now, I also think that heel-less design is kinda weird.
Builders have been introducing all kinds of design changes to electric guitars...but in the end, the classic styles always have the most fans.
JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:51 pm I don't like covered pickups...
I never liked uncovered pups...:D...and have put covers on a bunch of them.
The only one uncovered pair I have are my vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups, which have the cream colored bobbins. I've had them since the late '70s, and one was given to me as a gift, and then I bought the second one to match, so I left them like that. With some cream rings, they look really great on my dark honey-colored burl finished Swede...sound great too.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I dislike the look of this guitar for reasons already mentioned in this thread.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

A les paul with out a pick guard is like a hotdog with out bun.
Why?
:happytrees:
Farview

Post by Farview »

It looks like something ESP would put out.
muttley

Post by muttley »

rayc wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:36 am I remember that build quite well Mutt. It looked good - it had a good visual balance - may have been the size of the P90s or your aesthetic eye but it worked. This one - "looks" like it has minibuckers and too much wood.
Yeh, P90's do have a bigger footprint so that will affect the way it looks. I still quite like the look of those humbuckers but I think JD maybe onto something with the direct mount no covers approach. Having the height adjustment on the back is just dumb to me. Over engineered.... I can live with out the pickguard. In fact I prefer it.
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:57 pm A les paul with out a pick guard is like a hotdog with out bun.
Why?
Because the bun is for people who cant eat a hot dog without getting their fingers all messed up. Its the same with pick guards.. :cool:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Eating a hot dog without a bun is for fucking weirdos and homeless people.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:51 pm Eating a hot dog without a bun is for fucking weirdos and homeless people.
Or small children.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Or small children.
Right. Them too. So if you don't like pickguards on Les Pauls, you're a child, a weirdo, or homeless.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

A hot dog without a bun is just a frankfurt/saveloy isn't it? (Batters savs were a fish'n'chip shop classic until about 25 years ago when it was put on a stick & called a Dagwood Dog - another victim of cultural imperialism). I don't like hot dog buns. I don't like the taste, texture etc.I don't like sourdough either. The wife & I had breakfast at a cafe recently and it was a special order for her to have fried eggs on toast WITHOUT the toast being sourdough. My banana bread (when did cake become bread?) & a short black wasn't a prob.
On Topic - underselling a design idea fails more often than overselling. That's why Teisco factory guitars still sell - nothing shy about their design aesthetic and visually they are, usually, balanced if loud. Emphasis on usually though.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:51 pm Eating a hot dog without a bun is for fucking weirdos and homeless people.
Or small children.
Yea but. For small children we cut it up into small piecs and put them pieces in a small container....

Ok i think i see your point now. :like:
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Or small children.
And Austrians.