this new gibby is pretty but ....

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

this new gibby is pretty but ....

Post by Lt. Bob »

I do like the way the ringless p'ups look but I'm not seeing how you adjust their height.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Re: this new gibby is pretty but ....

Post by Greg_L »

Hmmm, that is weird.

And I hate it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yup, as much as I dont' like playing the fucking things, like the way they look. And that looks total wank
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rear mounted.
back.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:03 pm Rear mounted.

back.png
ah ...... well ....... I hate that actually
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Goddammit Gibson, just keep making your regular fucking guitars and quit trying to reinvent yourselves.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I like the finish, but it looks weird without the poker chip & p'up rings...

The rear-mounted thing is stupid IMO...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:49 pm I like the finish, but it looks weird without the poker chip & p'up rings...

The rear-mounted thing is stupid IMO...
Right. It looks naked and unfinished.

The actual finish is great. It just needs pickup rings, poker chip, normal knobs, and a pickguard. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I actually like the metal nut and the metal truss cover.

The more I look at it, the more I like it actually. Don't like the knobs though. Undecided on the pick up rings. Think I miss the poker chip.
Last edited by JD01 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

If they don't keep making minor cosmetic changes, how will people know you have the latest model?

My 2017 is obsolete already. And it's still 2017. :mad:

I do like the burst on that one though. I've long got used to no pick guard, but I'm still adjusting to no poker chip on mine. No pick up rings on this does look really naked though! Wonder what they'll do for 2019? :confused:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:04 pm Wonder what they'll do for 2019? :confused:
Sack off the traditional and start charging two grand for a studio.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:57 pm Right. It looks naked and unfinished.

The actual finish is great. It just needs pickup rings, poker chip, normal knobs, and a pickguard. :coolstorybro:
Yeah man, I love that finish, but without all the other shit, it looks like shit...
JD01 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:02 pm I actually like the metal nut and the metal truss cover.

The more I look at it, the more I like it actually. Don't like the knobs though. Undecided on the pick up rings. Think I miss the poker chip.
The truss rod cover is kinda cool, but I stand by what I've said, it looks like shit to me...
Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:04 pm Wonder what they'll do for 2019? :confused:
I'm afraid to even think about what they'll do next...If they just started making quality instruments, they'd be in a better position IMO...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:04 pm If they don't keep making minor cosmetic changes, how will people know you have the latest model?
See...that's the mistake, IMO, that many manufactures make if/when they have the *perfect product*.
Why fuck with it...?...don't touch a thing, don't make any "upgrades" for as long as people are buying it.

Then...when they still decide to change some shit just to make it "new model" looking...and people bitch and pine for the previous, original version...the manufactures don't listen.
Instead...they make more fucking pointless changes. :facepalm: They can't seem to go back to what people really want. :P

I don't care for the ring-less pups or the rear screw adjustments. It looks like some weird, cheap, bolted-together body.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

miroslav wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:02 pm
Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:04 pm If they don't keep making minor cosmetic changes, how will people know you have the latest model?
See...that's the mistake, IMO, that many manufactures make if/when they have the *perfect product*.
Why fuck with it...?...don't touch a thing, don't make any "upgrades" for as long as people are buying it.

Then...when they still decide to change some shit just to make it "new model" looking...and people bitch and pine for the previous, original version...the manufactures don't listen.
Instead...they make more fucking pointless changes. :facepalm: They can't seem to go back to what people really want. :P

I don't care for the ring-less pups or the rear screw adjustments. It looks like some weird, cheap, bolted-together body.
Here's the thing miro, Gibson don't care about your opinion - you're not going to buy one anyway. If they didn't constantly change things then they'd sell a shitload less guitars than they do because why would anyone want to buy a new one when it's exactly the same as the old one? I mean they last decades.

They're tapping into the collector market and trying to do things that will get people either into the product for the first time, or people who don't really need any more Les Pauls to go "you know, that's particularly cool - I'll get one because it'll make me feel awesome!" There'll be other minor changes apart from the pickup rings.

They did the metal nut / truss rod cover / knobs on the HP line in 2017 and maybe 2016, so that's not new, anyway.

There will be new / different finishes this year as well - can guarantee it - you couldn't get a blueberry burst for love nor money in Australia in the 2017 line up, and from a sales point of view they hit a fucking home run with that finish.

There'll be people out there who think that losing the pickup rings now makes these things look sleek and awesome and thank god they finally got rid of all the shitty plastic bits - and will finally go "I want one!" - the pickup rings is just a continuation of what they've been doing with the guard and chip. There'll be people who will be aspiring to that exact guitar now. That's their market. That's who they're talking to.

Product developers who don't even play guitar will be looking already for things to change for 2019.

You do have capitalism in Urmerica don't you? You get how it works?
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Well...you're right, I won't be buying a Gibson any time soon. :P
So are you saying you would buy new stuff because it has a new shiny thingy...which is different from the previous one you bought?

I'm saying that the product developers don't always get it AFA what makes a product enticing...and that a good product doesn't need the new shiny thingy to make it better...but sure, the world is full of suckers who will run out and buy it because of that.

Just look at the cell phone market. :facepalm: :D
I can understand *real* new features/improvements...but they've got the suckers by the nose, and they'll add that shiny thingy this year...then move it to the side next year...then give you two shiny thingys...and the people will keep plunking down money just to have the latest shiny thingy.
It's some kind of stupid status/Jones' thing.

TBH...I never thought that guitars would need to fall into that, and they seem to still offer the "stock", "original", "vintage" models...they're just panning out, trying to see if something new will bring in new buyers...but in the end, most serious guitar players end up going for the classics.
It will be interesting to see how many they sell and will the line stick around.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Fucking ugly. Every bit of it. And don't get me started on that hideous sunburst. Was that fucker that sprayed it drunk? Or did he run out of tinted lacquer and the QC guy missed it cause he was drunk.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The more I look at it, what really really throws it off for me - no heel. To me, the visual stuff is dumb but not a big deal. The metal nut is something no one asked for. The metal truss rod cover is chintzy. The knobs look like something you'd find on a chinese metal guitar. But none of that matters. The lack of a heel on Les Paul just makes it look totally odd.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:11 am The lack of a heel on Les Paul just makes it look totally odd.
But it might make it playable!

:lollers2:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:58 am
But it might make it playable!

:lollers2:
Lol. Maybe! But the normal heel never stopped anyone else from kicking ass on Les Pauls.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

He heal was something I thought was a useful practical improvement.