The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Greg_L »

I can't see the values on the left cap, but the one on the right is probably the stock .022 Ch 1 coupling cap that is supposed to be .0022 for Super Lead.

Here's a Super Bass schem with those caps circled in red. The "1" cap needs to be changed from .022 to .0022 for Super Lead.
1992 coupling caps.jpg
As I understand it, the signal coming out of the plates of the first tube stage carries both AC and DC signal. The coupling caps block DC voltage and let AC (guitar signal) pass through to the volume pots and on to next tube stage grid. The values of those caps affect bass roll off.

The jack is the no longer needed speaker jack and the little wires are just buss wires that connect that jack to the other speaker jack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:45 pm
Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:32 pm Channel 2 seems about right.
This may be asking a lot...but are you comfortable with removing the chassis from the head cab? I'd love to see some pics of the pots and the board.
Greg,
Yeah, I can have a go at that.
I have some tradies in this arvo but will attempt that after they've left & I've cleaned up the joint.
New ceiling mirrors, ray?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:26 pm New ceiling mirrors, ray?
ALMOST,
balcony tile repair! Five huge tiles fell off the front edge of our balcony a few weeks ago. They're 40 odd cm long and dropped at 3.30am. The tiling mob have a seven year guarantee for their work so they came out to inspect the damage and will return to replace them "soon". Luckily for them two tiles that fell didn't smash and I have four spares.
There are mirrors galore in the bedroom - seems the good christians who owned the place before us liked the idea of the doors on the built in wardrobes, (an whole side wall of them), being made of mirror. The missus soon covered them with opaque stick on stuff. They held bible classes for the neighbourhood in the downstairs lounge, had a christian country music recording studio in the downstairs back room and mirror/sex world in the largest bedroom upstairs.
Last edited by rayc on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg,
No. 1...
hard one.jpg
close 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ok check your pm
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rayc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24 pm
Armistice wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:26 pm New ceiling mirrors, ray?
They held bible classes for the neighbourhood in the downstairs lounge, had a christian country music recording studio in the downstairs back room and mirror/sex world in the largest bedroom upstairs.
:lollers2:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLGqyHIaE-4[/BBvideo]
This is the dude we bought the house from - note he refers to PRODUCT...
This is his sort of stuff...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGdttb4 ... eGfREBdDXU[/BBvideo]
and his BIG hit (I'd not heard of it but he says s),
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FFG_Ur ... eGfREBdDXU[/BBvideo]
I did play the Sabbath Paranoid LP a few days ago in Colin's memory.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:01 amOk check your pm
Done - ta muchly.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rayc wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm [BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FFG_Ur ... eGfREBdDXU[/BBvideo]
I did play the Sabbath Paranoid LP a few days ago in Colin's memory.
:minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

It's going to take time & ears to get the micing sorted properly for my reborn amp.
The sound in the room is glorious but it much neutered in recording. I did have problems previously so it may be the speakers or the mic position so I've ordered a very cheap looper, ($50 delivered), which will, I hope, allow me to do the headphones and mic thing.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:59 am It's going to take time & ears to get the micing sorted properly for my reborn amp.
The sound in the room is glorious but it much neutered in recording. I did have problems previously so it may be the speakers or the mic position so I've ordered a very cheap looper, ($50 delivered), which will, I hope, allow me to do the headphones and mic thing.
It's very hard to do when you're in the same room with one of these monsters.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

So after my rehearsal last I went to my buddies' gig and the guitar player was using his Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 25 (separate head and cab, single 12" and using an Eric Johnson Strat) and holy fuck did it sound great. I'm going to try to get him to come over sometime soon and record him. But wow did his tone sound incredible last night.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I finally got off my ass & put the D'Addario NYXL 10's on my Ibanez today...

I actually took the bridge (Ibanez Edge III) completely apart, cleaned the whole guitar, re-strung it, then re-set the action/intonation (I went from 09's to 10's) & dropped a tremolo spring (from 3 to 2, to give the trem a looser feel)...It's almost like I bought a new guitar, the feel/action is so much better now that it ever was, the double-locking trem makes the tuning rock-solid, & the Duncan Custom Custom bridge p'up is great (to me anyway)...

I've been putting this off because I'm just fuckin' lazy, but it didn't take that long, & the locking trem really wasn't an issue...I usually change my Floyd Rose guitars 1 string at a time, but this thing really needed some attention & TLC...

The Ibanez sounds great through either amp, all the way from very clean to ridiculously over-driven sounds...I personally think it sounds really good through the Mini-Jubilee pushed with the SD-1 for the hair-metal tones I like so much...

These different guitars (LP, SG, Ibanez, H-S-S strat & S-S-S strat) should give me some variety in my tones...The SG & LP both sound good, but they're very similar (almost identical)...The H-S-S strat is next (it's on the bench right now in the process), so again these different guitars should give me some different tones to play with...

I've not said much about 'em so far, but I really like the D'Addario NYXL 10's...Time will tell how long they last compared to the Elixr 9's I've used for years, but again, I really like 'em so far...

I'll throw a few clips up tomorrow...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Alright, guys - just catching up with some Tone Thread, I only looked at the pub area of the forum while I was away.

Miner - Ibanez are cracking guitars - they just look dated as fuck. I have no use at all for the trem, but the tuning on my RG570 is rock solid, I don't play on it for months at a time and its always in tune. NYXL10s are amazing - I'm so happy with them, they're gradually making their way onto all my guitars and my guitar case is gradually getting covered in NYXL stickers.

Ray - looking forward to hearing this when its sorted, regarding the micing: As opposed to fannying about trying to sort everything with headphones and moving mics while trying to listen to the sound of the headphones will the amp is blaring try this, it will seem like a faff but will probably be easy.

Stick a ruler to the front of your cab, so you can keep track of where you are.
Have you mics 2cm off the grill.
Line up a bunch of tracks in reaper, labelled cap edge, 2cm, 4cm, 6cm etc.
Using your first mic record a riff on each of these until you reach the edge of the cone.

Repeat the process for your 2nd mic.

Now you can just blend at will in Reaper until you've got the sound that you want.

Note - I only thought of this now, but I wish I'd thought of it when I was going for random trial and error mic choice and mic placement, it would have saved me loads of effort.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:08 am Thanks Minerman & Greg.
I really need to relearn everything about micing & recording this amp/cab/room. It's quite bright and very loud in the room and I have to mute strings to stop it from howling but that's cool too.
I tried a different guitar today. An ancient & formerly cheap Guyatone with a no name humbucker in the bridge position. Bridge PU selected and tone cranked full treble. Mic placements remain from yesterday.
The difference was astounding.
Attached is an MP3 of the Guyatone the top I input at noon, 3pm & full tilt then in the top II input at noon, 3pm and full tilt again.
I experimented with an old Tele knock off but as its selector is stuck in the out of phase position I didn't see much point posting that and I had a go with my Bruno semi acoustic and couldn't control it at the very start - feedback and screaming everywhere - handy for when I need it.
The MV fully cranked caused pressure waves on my chest as well as rumble in inputs 1 as well as in all positions with input II. My head is aching as well.
I also had a run through with a room mic, (slid it into phase in the box) and that added some omph as well but far too much Boxy room sound to be useful.
Oh, I did the top input I then link bottom I to top II thing for fun and found with the guitar went berserk very, very quickly in almost all setting. Something to remember for when I want that - crikey it hurt my brain too.
Modded Marshall V3.mp3
That sounds pretty epic to me! Sounds like its going into a full on meltdown.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:07 am
Note - I only thought of this now, but I wish I'd thought of it when I was going for random trial and error mic choice and mic placement, it would have saved me loads of effort.
Thanks James. Yeah, I need a solid system that won't leave to memory or vague scrawls.
The amp is pretty sorted in one pair of inputs but isn't up to spec in the others.
So I have a clean Marshall side and a easily driven side. It's good in a way but not precisely what I think I asked for.
I did try dropping one of each into the most recent song you did for me but that song's already full so it makes sense to get the amps orted and debut on a newie.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I had a go at a Metallica tone today and I'm actually pretty pleased with it. Spent some time dialing it in this morning using my emulated out and then switched to mics to do proper takes with it - seems to be a good system for me that actually as I can spend time cocking about with knobs without pissing off the mrs/neighbours.

Anyway, mine isn't quite as scooped as the original, but this is as scooped as I want to get.
Exit Shite - Tone 1.mp3
I have noticed that my emulated out isn't anywhere near as bad as I used to think it was - although its not great, I think I've just got better at dialing a tone in. Also the emulated out has more of the low mid blackstar boxiness in it - using mics is a bit more scoopy and also seems to have a touch more gain.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Man that sounds great.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:55 am Man that sounds great.
Thanks, I'm playing along with it practicing the solo (I've not played it since I was about 19) and I'm not listening to it wincing thinking it sounds like amateur-hour at home, it's actually quite nice to listen to.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It definitely needs more mid scoop IMO if you're trying for that tone. Yours is middy and duller than the original's tones, which are scooped but not too fizzy. I haven't heard that song in about twenty years so I youtubed it and it's pretty good tones for scooped metal shit. They're scooped but smooth.
Rebel Yell