Look what I got....

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: Look what I got....

Post by Minerman »

Cool looking guitar dude, that's a hell of a lot cheaper than the real thing for sure...Cheap appeals to me, as most of you guys know, I'm a cheap fucker...Gonna give you a little time with it & see how you think it stacks up, then, maybe, I might go the same route...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:46 pm Cool looking guitar dude, that's a hell of a lot cheaper than the real thing for sure...Cheap appeals to me, as most of you guys know, I'm a cheap fucker...Gonna give you a little time with it & see how you think it stacks up, then, maybe, I might go the same route...
Yeah I just saw a link for Gibson Custom Shop Double Cut Specials.......for $4000. :facepalm:

Fuck! I can buy a real original for that. :facepalm: :facepalm:

So far, just banging around on it for a few days, it's not bad. It actually feels a lot like my SG Special. Pretty raw, a little rough around the edges, but it plays well. Feels good, makes the sounds it's supposed to, lol. Gonna do clips today.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:20 pm Okay mofos, it's alive!

Wired up...so basic. I love it.

The quality hand made control cavity cover. Hand made by Kim Jong-un.

The tuners are indeed shit. They work, yes, but some of them are very tight under tension, some spin easily. Nevertheless, it's all strung up and everything works as it should. Did a quick and dirty setup on it and it plays real nice. Not bad at all. The neck is very very slightly off center a tiny bit. The distance from string to fretboard edge is just a hair more on the treble side than on the bass side, but I don't notice it while playing. I can barely notice it with the naked eye. The strings and pickup poles line up perfectly, so nice job there Mutt. And the strings stay straight and parallel down the neck, so no problem even with the very slight off-center-ness. Nice action, no ridiculous fret buzz, neck/frets feel good, neck is straight, no dead choked notes, all's well.

The body. I don't think it looks so bad all put together.

Clips to come....tomorrow.
That looks pretty damn good to me, Greg. :smiles:

I have a slight concern about the relic effect on the top of the guitar. It's not awful, but neither is it convincing wear, unless you're wearing Rob Halford's wristbands while playing! :biggrin: I'd want to sit for a couple of hours gently rubbing circles over the area with 600 grit wet-and-dry, if it were mine. I'd go onstage with it any day, but I truly do hate the wrapover bridge/tailpiece thing. Makes me cringe. :lollers2:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:39 am

I have a slight concern about the relic effect on the top of the guitar. It's not awful, but neither is it convincing wear, unless you're wearing Rob Halford's wristbands while playing! :biggrin: I'd want to sit for a couple of hours gently rubbing circles over the area with 600 grit wet-and-dry, if it were mine. I'd go onstage with it any day, but I truly do hate the wrapover bridge/tailpiece thing. Makes me cringe. :lollers2:
I agree. I'd have preferred no relic'ing at all, but fuck it. The bridge is what it is. It's a necessary evil. But there are compensated bridges that are a little more attractive.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:50 am
Bubba wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:39 am

I agree. I'd have preferred no relic'ing at all, but fuck it. The bridge is what it is. It's a necessary evil. But there are compensated bridges that are a little more attractive.
It's a great stage tool for the punk thing. As I say I'd gig with it very happily indeed. I might want some kind of stickerage or graffiti as well. :biggrin: :jam:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

So I finally gave this guitar some real live action this weekend and it performed wonderfully. Mutt's pickup is fantastic. It's got bite and snarl but also all the clarity I look for in a pickup. The pickup is a little underpowered to really push my 800 for more aggressive stuff, but that's okay because I wanted it that way. A clean boost took care of the rest. The guitar was a bit of a bitch about settling down outside in the Houston summer time night heat and humidity, but once it got there it stayed in tune pretty good. Not great, but good enough. To be fair, I think most guitars struggle in our kind of heat and humidity when playing outside. Houston in the summer at night is like walking through a hot wet sponge. Anyway, the neck felt really good and easy to play. Thee frets and fret ends all feel good. Overall this cheapo counterfeit LP Jr is pretty great.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

:like:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:39 am Overall this cheapo counterfeit LP Jr is pretty great.
I've been waiting to hear what you think of that guitar dude...I'll most likely take a chance on one myself in the next few months... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Good stuff, Greg! Glad you like it.

I'm still gigging with the Son of Gobshite. I'm loving the way it sounds, it plays well but there are two things I'm finding unsatisfactory about it.

1. I'm unhappy with the neck, for several reasons. The wood it's built from is too light and flexible- it feels rubbery and not stable. I don't have the biggest hands, but it feels smaller than the neck of my other gigging guitar and somewhat insubstantial. The headstock is too small.

2. I'm unhappy with how it looks. I didn't get what I wanted, which was a great-playing gig-slag. I feel like I'm going onstage with a Chippendale bureau hanging around my neck instead of a punk rock machine. I allowed my wants to be compromised and I'm unhappy. So I have to do something about it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:25 am Also I'm not sure if its the pic but I like how they got the 12th fret dot markers in wonky just like Gibson often do. Nice authentic touch...:)
Hey Mutt, help me with this junk Jr please....

The 2nd fret on the high E string farts out. 1st fret plays fine. 3rd fret plays fine. All other frets on all other strings are fine. But the high E 2nd fret totally craps out and buzzes against the 3rd fret.

What do you think the best plan of action is? I'm thinking file the 3rd fret to lower it, but then what if it becomes too low and buzzes against the 4th fret? So gimme some guidance please. :crazy:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:21 am
muttley wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:25 am Also I'm not sure if its the pic but I like how they got the 12th fret dot markers in wonky just like Gibson often do. Nice authentic touch...:)
Hey Mutt, help me with this junk Jr please....

The 2nd fret on the high E string farts out. 1st fret plays fine. 3rd fret plays fine. All other frets on all other strings are fine. But the high E 2nd fret totally craps out and buzzes against the 3rd fret.

What do you think the best plan of action is? I'm thinking file the 3rd fret to lower it, but then what if it becomes too low and buzzes against the 4th fret? So gimme some guidance please. :crazy:
mutts the one to listen to BUT
I used to use a stone like you sharpen knives with and then mark the tops of the frets with a black sharpie and start gently use the stone to take that 2nd fret down ..... as you do that the adjacent frets will stay marked because the high fret is getting all the action .... once the stone gets to where it's touching the sharpie on the adjacent frets you know they're level with each other.

Now I'm sure mutts gonna enlighten me that "OMG what a stupid idea!" :D but that's what I've always done
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

i`d try a lil nip in the truss rod first,maybe your recent weathers increased humidity?,if thats the reason,a truss rod nip is easily reversible ... but as far back as i can remember every guitar i ever owned had has done this in the same place (1st 2nd 3rd) after a while,one got cured with a tiny lil tap with a hammer (with the strings loosened and out the way) ... others i checked with a straight edge and lightly stoned (same ishy as bob)...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay thanks yall, but wouldn't the offending fret be too low already?

I'm thinking that if the string is fine at the 1st fret, but buzzes against the 3rd fret while pressing at the 2nd fret, wouldn't that mean the 2nd fret is too low? Or maybe the 3rd fret is too high? But it's only a problem on the high E string. All other strings at all other frets are fine.

I have not checked anything with a straight edge yet. I'm just thinking through it. Probably poorly.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Away from my PC right now. Will comment when I get home...
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:43 am Okay thanks yall, but wouldn't the offending fret be too low already?

I'm thinking that if the string is fine at the 1st fret, but buzzes against the 3rd fret while pressing at the 2nd fret, wouldn't that mean the 2nd fret is too low? Or maybe the 3rd fret is too high? But it's only a problem on the high E string. All other strings at all other frets are fine.

I have not checked anything with a straight edge yet. I'm just thinking through it. Probably poorly.
if it bums out fretting the 2nd,then maybe its too low or the 3rd is to high .. but i propose this:- *maybe* its always been like that,but more humidity has caused a neck change .. a truss rod nip is the easiest simplest thing to try .. and if it is this then theres no permanent change made to the guitar that could cause more problems when the weathers better ...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:35 pm

if it bums out fretting the 2nd,then maybe its too low or the 3rd is to high .. but i propose this:- *maybe* its always been like that,but more humidity has caused a neck change .. a truss rod nip is the easiest simplest thing to try .. and if it is this then theres no permanent change made to the guitar that could cause more problems when the weathers better ...
It definitely has not always been like this. So maybe it does have something to do with weather change....except the weather hasn't changed! :crazy:

I'll happily try a truss rod adjustment. How will that affect only the treble side of one fret though? The neck relief, action, and intonation is quite good on the guitar....except for that one damn string on that one fret. :frown:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:43 am Okay thanks yall, but wouldn't the offending fret be too low already?

you're right of course..... I had it backwards :cuckoo:

but would still use the same method to lower the 3rd fret

IMO a truss rod adjustment will not help ..... it's just not gonna adjust a single are that close to the end of the truss rod
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:56 pm you're right ..... I had it backwards :cuckoo:
but would still use the same method to lower the 3rd fret
Yeah I did think of that, but my worry is that if the 2nd fret is actually the problem, and the 3rd fret is actually okay, then jacking with that 3rd fret may actually just move my problem to the 3rd fret and make it now buzz against the 4th. :frown:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Why don't you check how level your frets are, Greg. You just need a straight thing long enough (or short enough) to cover 3 frets and give it a wiggle.