ribbon mics

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
liv_rong

ribbon mics

Post by liv_rong »

Who's using them? Was thinking of possibly picking up something in the near future for guitar recording.
Greg_L

Re: ribbon mics

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:32 pm Who's using them? Was thinking of possibly picking up something in the near future for guitar recording.
Me too. I'd love to hear some ideas on this.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

The Royer R121 is the ribbon mic of choice for guitar. Do you have that kind of cash? I have GAS for a pair. It won't happen without a lottery win.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:05 pm The Royer R121 is the ribbon mic of choice for guitar. Do you have that kind of cash? I have GAS for a pair. It won't happen without a lottery win.
The R121 is pretty much the gold standard. "Gold" being the key word there.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:07 pm
Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:05 pm The Royer R121 is the ribbon mic of choice for guitar. Do you have that kind of cash? I have GAS for a pair. It won't happen without a lottery win.
Yep. £1300 GBP for a single mic. Matched pair? Not sure what premium they put on that! :biggrin: I hear they're incredibly good drum overheads too.

Top of my list though, is a better space to record in.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:13 pm
Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Yep. £1300 GBP for a single mic. Matched pair? Not sure what premium they put on that! :biggrin: I hear they're incredibly good drum overheads too.

You need a third shed, clearly.
Rob Aylestone

Post by Rob Aylestone »

I have a nice ribbon. So nice it rarely comes out of the box. I have one other ribbon - that got kicked ten years ago and has sounded dreadful ever since. Too fragile to risk a cable trip or put anywhere near the drummers I work with.

I would love a pair, but I know I'd just never get the use.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 pm
Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:13 pm

I've always thought it would be great to bury a 20ft shipping container in the back garden, just leave a little staircase down to it and stick the grass back on top...

Unless I somehow manage to do this I'm unlikely to ever have a dedicated recording space... I'm never going to have a dedicated recording space.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:03 am
Armistice wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 pm

I've always thought it would be great to bury a 20ft shipping container in the back garden, just leave a little staircase down to it and stick the grass back on top...

Unless I somehow manage to do this I'm unlikely to ever have a dedicated recording space... I'm never going to have a dedicated recording space.
Be positive JD. Never is a long time. I live in a 2br apartment. I have a dedicated recording space. It's why I do Kempers and faux drums - not optimal but it works here. Where there's a will, there's a way. :coolstorybro:

(Sorry about the lack of response on the Kemper thing... I get so busy doing my own stuff that tracking down Dumble profiles, if there are any, is taking second place right now. I'll get there... :biggrin:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:21 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:03 am

Be positive JD. Never is a long time. I live in a 2br apartment. I have a dedicated recording space. It's why I do Kempers and faux drums - not optimal but it works here. Where there's a will, there's a way. :coolstorybro:

(Sorry about the lack of response on the Kemper thing... I get so busy doing my own stuff that tracking down Dumble profiles, if there are any, is taking second place right now. I'll get there... :biggrin:
Nah - I'll never had a proper studio room - say like the one Tadpui used to have - but at the moment, my mrs is away working in Amsterdam for 6 weeks, then she's off to central america for two weeks, so I have the front living room to myself at the moment anyway!

I think you'll have to start paying for profiles if you want good Dumble ones. It probably costs a lot to just rent a real dumble just to profile it. Did you look at the ones on that link I sent you of Rabea reviewing low gain profiles? One of them was a Dumble.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:21 am You need a third shed, clearly.
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:03 am I've always thought it would be great to bury a 20ft shipping container in the back garden, just leave a little staircase down to it and stick the grass back on top...

I actually have enough space on my property to build something with the footprint of a double garage about 40m from the house and from the neighbours. If I had a spare 20 grand I'd do it. :biggrin:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am
Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:21 am You need a third shed, clearly.
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:03 am I've always thought it would be great to bury a 20ft shipping container in the back garden, just leave a little staircase down to it and stick the grass back on top...

I actually have enough space on my property to build something with the footprint of a double garage about 40m from the house and from the neighbours. If I had a spare 20 grand I'd do it. :biggrin:
GoFundMe... :biggrin:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:39 am GoFundMe... :biggrin:
Good idea! :guru:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am I actually have enough space on my property to build something with the footprint of a double garage about 40m from the house and from the neighbours. If I had a spare 20 grand I'd do it. :biggrin:
I assumed you lived in a terraced miners cottage with coal-bunker!

If you have the space (above ground) a well lagged shipping container isn't a bad idea actually. Easy space to work with, cheap, easy to power, plenty big enough and easy to secure.

If I ever get 20Gs mrs wants a new kitchen/conservatory extension for the back living room and a walk-in bathroom/wetroom/surfboard store on the side of the house so we don't have to walk in through the front door dripping wet and sandy.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:22 am
Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am I actually have enough space on my property to build something with the footprint of a double garage about 40m from the house and from the neighbours. If I had a spare 20 grand I'd do it. :biggrin:
I assumed you lived in a terraced miners cottage with coal-bunker!

If you have the space (above ground) a well lagged shipping container isn't a bad idea actually. Easy space to work with, cheap, easy to power, plenty big enough and easy to secure.

If I ever get 20Gs mrs wants a new kitchen/conservatory extension for the back living room and a walk-in bathroom/wetroom/surfboard store on the side of the house so we don't have to walk in through the front door dripping wet and sandy.
Well, I do live in a terrace - a big one! My actual back garden is about 20m long but after the wall there is a shared space that is used as access and a turning circle for vehicles. After that we have a (very small) orchard and a space where an old pit garage used to stand. That's where I would put it.

A container isn't a bad idea for most recording but the roof would be far too low to record drums the way I would like to. 6m x 7m with a pitched roof would be my ideal size, and we could accommodate that by losing two scabby pear trees that never fruit properly!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That sounds pretty good. I don't have anything like that. The office room is my mrs office, it is just about big enough for a recording room but she actually needs it for work. Whereas recording is want and a hobby.

We have two living rooms though so the front one is mine and all my music stuff lives in there. The back one is hers and its where the acoustic guitar, ukulele and mandolin lives.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

If you have the space (above ground) a well lagged shipping container isn't a bad idea actually.
Lol, yes it fucking is.

Trust me, I used to fucking practice in a shipping container. Seriously. It's not a good musical space.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:17 am

If you have the space (above ground) a well lagged shipping container isn't a bad idea actually.
Lol, yes it fucking is.

Trust me, I used to fucking practice in a shipping container. Seriously. It's not a good musical space.
haha, really? What was wrong with it? I was assuming that you'd sort the walls out so they weren't just corrugated metal!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I appear to have sent us off-topic. :facepalm2: Sorry, Liv. :oops:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:21 am
haha, really? What was wrong with it? I was assuming that you'd sort the walls out so they weren't just corrugated metal!
What's wrong with it? It's a goddamn shipping container. Too narrow, too short. "Sorting the walls" alone would be a Sisyphean nightmare because it's a fucking shipping container.
Rebel Yell