Effect Mics

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
HatfieldCreek

Effect Mics

Post by HatfieldCreek »

We've all got go to mics for standard recording, but what if anything are you guys using for effect mics? I picked up a copperphone from placid audio last year, and love the tonality of it, and I've got a few cobbled together mics I use from time to time. I've even tracked vocals through the makeshift pickup on my dobro (musical greeting card piezo driver fixed to the cone). I doubt I'd ever use an effect mic by itself, but the more I use them the more I wonder why it took so long for me to start doing so.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Effect Mics

Post by WhiskeyJack »

You should jam up a clip of a quick sample or something using that copperphone one. I've been sort of curious to see what it does.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Can't say I've ever intentionally used an "effects mic". I've had some bad results from regular mics. Does that count?
Rebel Yell
HatfieldCreek

Post by HatfieldCreek »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:11 pm Can't say I've ever intentionally used an "effects mic". I've had some bad results from regular mics. Does that count?
Haha it's all in how you sell it.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

A little while ago a bloke was selling a load of ancient Carbon mics that had come into his possession. I turned down the chance to buy one, but I suppose they're the very definition of a special effect mic with their simple constuction and very limited frequency response
Haggard Musician :mad: