Your mic locker...are you still adding to it?

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
antichef

Re: Your mic locker...are you still adding to it?

Post by antichef »

One counter intuitive thing that I think Harvey (the one from Dallas, not the one from the Gulf) used to tell us on that other board was that if you're not a loud singer, then it's worth knowing that you can get really close to an omnidirectional mic without having proximity effect problems, which *could* mean that an omni winds up effectively with less room noise than a cardioid in that case.

That is to say, you can't get too close to a cardioid without boomy bass problems, so you have to back off, which lowers the ratio of the loudness of your voice to the rest of the room noise (that part of the room that the cardioid is picking up anyway - which, lets face it, probably sucks about as much as the rest of the room in many cases), while an omni, even though it's picking up more of the room, will let you sing right up on it without boominess, and so the ratio of your voice to the rest of the room is better, and the result is a track with less room noise (and comb filtering, etc.).
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

antichef wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:21 pm One counter intuitive thing that I think Harvey (the one from Dallas, not the one from the Gulf) used to tell us on that other board was that if you're not a loud singer, then it's worth knowing that you can get really close to an omnidirectional mic without having proximity effect problems, which *could* mean that an omni winds up effectively with less room noise than a cardioid in that case.

That is to say, you can't get too close to a cardioid without boomy bass problems, so you have to back off, which lowers the ratio of the loudness of your voice to the rest of the room noise (that part of the room that the cardioid is picking up anyway - which, lets face it, probably sucks about as much as the rest of the room in many cases), while an omni, even though it's picking up more of the room, will let you sing right up on it without boominess, and so the ratio of your voice to the rest of the room is better, and the result is a track with less room noise (and comb filtering, etc.).
That's pretty interesting. I hadn't thought of that.

But lordy, imagine if it doesn't work. Buy an omni, and get even more room! :eep:
Rebel Yell
antichef

Post by antichef »

true enough. I probably didn't emphasize enough that if you're not a quiet singer - and probably most people aren't - then you don't benefit so much because you probably already have a good voice-to-room ratio (but, of course, the louder you sing, the louder are the room reflections I guess - getting in over my head here)