Your mic locker...are you still adding to it?

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
miroslav

Your mic locker...are you still adding to it?

Post by miroslav »

I've got a bunch of shit in my locker...but I have to say, over the last few years, my mic use had been reduced to a handful of mics...and even though I look at some new mics....I just haven't been that compelled to throw down the cash.

I mean...for me to get a new mic that was interesting enough, it would have to be something different/better than what I have...and while I don't have the greatest mics that can be had, I've got all my instrument mics that I could want...so the only thing left is to shop for a high-end vocal or multi-use mic...but fuck...I would rather drop that kind of cash on an amp. :D

I guess if I was really doing a lot of outside recording...I could see getting another mic, another pre...etc...but not just for my studio use, at leasy not right now.
One thing's true though...you rarely lose out with a decent mic purchase, as they always tend to hold or rise in price.
Greg_L

Re: Your mic locker...are you still adding to it?

Post by Greg_L »

Besides just basic tested and proven mics that everyone uses, I don't have many and really just don't care. I'm one of those guys that can be happy with 57s on everything. Like I always say - source sounds matter. The mic doesn't.

There are only two mics that I'd consider buying at this point - the MD421 or a Royer R121. The Royer just aint gonna happen, so something like a Cascade ribbon would do.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I haven't bought a mic for at least 5 years - probably longer. I have a couple of different LDCs, a decent SDC and a pair of OK SDCs, a 57, a 58 and a stage condenser that was a gift.

I'd be open to a new mic if I became convinced that it would solve some particular problem - particularly if it made my voice sound awesome, but I'm concentrating on working with what I've got.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Pretty much the same here. I have an OK selection that more than fulfills all of my needs. And I'm sure that I could spend a lifetime learning on the mics that I already have. One day when I'm not feeling as cash poor as I am now, I might spring for a C414, a higher-end Lewitt or a lower-end Neumann to replace my CV-12. Not that it'll help me sing like Sinatra, but it'll capture my middling vocals with extreme precision :)
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:10 am ...particularly if it made my voice sound awesome...

Tadpui wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:48 am I might spring for a C414, a higher-end Lewitt or a lower-end Neumann to replace my CV-12.
I always had a C414 on my mind...just never get around to getting one.
How do you like the CV-12...?...that's that Avantone mic, right?

My go-to vocal mic is a multi-pattern tube (ADK TT/CE)...not a low-budget mic...but that Avantone isn't real pricy, might be an interesting addition, depending on how decent it sounds. I mean, I would hate to just get another mic that sits in the locker while I fall back on my tried and true stuff.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mics...

I have an SM57, a C1000S and a focusrite condenser. That's it!

Use the 57 for nearly everything, including vocals.
C1000S is good for acoustic guitars and I use it as a secondary on amps.

Wouldn't mind an i5 as I've heard some nice comparisons with a 57. In no hurry though.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

I bought a used U87ai last February and it will be my last mic.
It is frighteningly clean lol. Not something you can hide behind. Super accurate and reacts to eq precisely.

I'm still tweaking the settings for it on my LA610 and ITB to find the right balance of clarity and color.
I've been way too busy at work (including evenings and weekends) so when I get done I'm exhausted.

At some point I am going to re-record all the vocals for all the songs I've done.
I wish I had had this mic 10 years ago.

I've retired my Rode NTK and M-Audio Sputnik.
They served me well over 10 years but sound like **** compared to the new one.

I still mic my amp with a 30 year old SM57. I have an SM58 for live which is just as old.

Mike has a C414XLS which is also super clean but about 1/3 of the retail price. It's a different beast but also very very nice.
It has a bit of bottom end which I like to eq out so it sits in the mix. Its counterpart C414XLII is the same but it's supposed to be more for vocals.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I have far too many mics ..... and guitars .... and amps ...... and pedals ...... and cords ...... and recorders ..... and LP's ...... and CD's ...... don't have enough women though ..... think I'll get a few of those.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Our long and mcquade here is ramping up to it's annual inventory blowout sale and i my store insider told me that are probably going to be clearing out a proper left handed SG thats been there for 6 years, and an AKGD112.

Up til now i have been using sims for my bass tones in conjunction with a blue driver pedal aand the results while not all that desirable were palatable, but i dug my old bass head out of the box just a Gallien Kruger MB150 Solid state jobby and i think i am just going to use that rig. Tired of sims. Why havent i been using it you ask? It been a box and out of sight out of mind. Actually forgot that i had it :( It is so small.

So if they clear out that AKGD112 for a steal i am not even going to rationalize it i am just going to pick it up.
:happytrees:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

ido1957 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:26 am Its counterpart C414XLII is the same but it's supposed to be more for vocals.
Yeah...that's the one I was always thinking about...at least before I got my current vocal mic, the ADK TT/CE.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

miroslav wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:54 pm
ido1957 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:26 am Its counterpart C414XLII is the same but it's supposed to be more for vocals.
Yeah...that's the one I was always thinking about...at least before I got my current vocal mic, the ADK TT/CE.
I was going to get one but there were none for sale used on Kijiji and the U87ai was over 1300 bucks less than a new one. And it was paid for by a bonus from work and naturally with permission from my wife :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

miroslav wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:31 am I always had a C414 on my mind...just never get around to getting one.
How do you like the CV-12...?...that's that Avantone mic, right?

My go-to vocal mic is a multi-pattern tube (ADK TT/CE)...not a low-budget mic...but that Avantone isn't real pricy, might be an interesting addition, depending on how decent it sounds. I mean, I would hate to just get another mic that sits in the locker while I fall back on my tried and true stuff.
I really do like the CV-12. I only want to replace mine because it became noisy in the last year or so. I left it plugged and turned on for about 3 years, so I got what I deserved. It's a multi-pattern tube mic, so yours might already fill any need that the Avantone would fill. But I've been so happy with mine that I was super bummed about replacing it when I thought it had bit the big one last year. It bounced back, and I re-routed some cabling and power supply cords that were contributing to the noise. It's serviceable now, but not all that quiet. A C414 or TLM102/103 was kind of a natural step up in my mind.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I have very little desire to add more mics to my collection, and I use a bunch of cheap stuff. I have a 57, D6, three ES-57's, two 603's, an AT2020 and someone just gave me four Beta 98's. I havent even used those yet because I dont have the clips for them and those are kind of pricey too. That right there kind of demonstrates my desire to upgrade my mics lol. I wouldnt mind having a few more 57's on hand but the clones are close enough so fuck it, unless I get rich.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:29 pm I left it plugged and turned on for about 3 years, so I got what I deserved.
Have tried a new tube?
I mean...plugged in and powered for 3 years...ahh....yeah, that's a long time. :P
Just make sure you get a good quality 6072A tube...one that is handpicked for low noise and meant for mic use.
It's basically in the 12A tube family ( your probably already know this)...a 6072A is a better/quieter version of a 12AY7, which is a lower gain version of your typical guitar amp 12AX7....but, I would still make s ure that it's a handpicked 6072A meant for a microphone.

Not very expensive. JJ makes a good reissue...so does Electro Harmonix.
Both the Tube Depot and Tube Doctor carry some kind of 6072A ...etc...if you want to look on eBay for something NOS...RCA 6072 tubes or Raytheon, made some of the better ones...but again, even thought 6072 implies a low noise version of a 12AY7...the ones for mics are usually tested and handpicked more rigorously.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I have a bunch now but I do need some more. I do enough live sound for other bands that I need to have a bunch around. Looking for a couple of more 58's, maybe a few Audix for guitars or possibly even for a vocal mic. Perhaps another set of small condensers as I have a couple of bands that use percussion as well drums and I only have 1 good set of overheads. I really need to get at least 1 wireless channel as well. I was also thinking of upgrading my drum mics but that just doesn't seem necessary at the moment. I have a nice kick mic and overheads and that's what matters most to me.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Just happened to come across this listing on eBay...and thought I would post it here for anyone looking for mics.
This is pretty good price for the pair
These ADK Hamburg mics have a good amount of body, without a lot of high-end sizzle (the ADK Vienna version has lots of high-end sizzle and less body).
They can work a a variety of things.

ADK Hamburg - pair
Bobbsy

Post by Bobbsy »

Of course I am. Once you get hooked, you have to feed the addiction!

Seriously, I'm not looking for anything specific--I have a pretty good range. However, every couple of months I have to walk past a local pawn shop and can never resist spending a couple of minutes peaking at their audio. I've picked up a few bargains that way.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I've made too many purchases simply because I look at shit on eBay....like, because I see it, I must buy it before it's gone.
When I don't see it...I never know it was there for me to buy. :P
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

The last mics I bought were a pair of Rode NT5s for overheads and an SM57 for snare and guitars. I'm pretty happy with the quality of everything I use and I can't see myself GASing for anything extra.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:31 am The last mics I bought were a pair of Rode NT5s for overheads and an SM57 for snare and guitars. I'm pretty happy with the quality of everything I use and I can't see myself GASing for anything extra.
How much did you end up paying for the NT5s? I know you told me but I can't remember - way back we were discussing whether Richard Jongleur wanted to sell on the ones that I sold him but that he wasn't using, I recall.