Your mic locker...are you still adding to it?

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
Bubba

Re: Your mic locker...are you still adding to it?

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:43 pm How much did you end up paying for the NT5s? I know you told me but I can't remember - way back we were discussing whether Richard Jongleur wanted to sell on the ones that I sold him but that he wasn't using, I recall.
Receipt says £229. Free cables, too. Great mics.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:53 pm Receipt says £229. Free cables, too. Great mics.
A good deal. I bought the ones we were talking about many moons back for $600AUD - I think they were relatively recently out, at the time. Had a nice hardcase and holders but no cables. I think I sold them to Richard for $450, and from memory I was thinking if my GF, who was going to England soon, could take them and post them to you from there, then that would work.

But he didn't want to sell them, and he probably wouldn't have matched the new price anyway - would only have been worth it for you it if he was going to go for $300, but no way was that going to happen ... :biggrin:

To the best of my knowledge he's still never used them!
witzendoz

Post by witzendoz »

My Mic locker is becoming a Mic room :(
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

witzendoz wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:15 pm My Mic locker is becoming a Mic room :(
I'm willing to be used as secure offsite storage if you need to free up some space.

Granted I'm on the other side of the country, but you know that if your studio burns down when a glint of sunlight passes through the mirror shades of those rappers you like recording, and hits on something highly flammable, some of your mics will be OK, over here in Sydney.

I won't use them. Honest! :biggrin:
Tobster

Post by Tobster »

On the topic of mics, may I expand the thread to include mic accessories? I bought a boom type stand at GC to use with my 57 (only mic I currently own) for recording my upright piano. Not happy with it, light and cheap. Yes, it works, but I would consider an upgrade. Anyone have opinions or suggestions for mic stands you own?
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Tobster wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:58 pm On the topic of mics, may I expand the thread to include mic accessories? I bought a boom type stand at GC to use with my 57 (only mic I currently own) for recording my upright piano. Not happy with it, light and cheap. Yes, it works, but I would consider an upgrade. Anyone have opinions or suggestions for mic stands you own?
Guitar Center sells a a stand that's a step up, DR maybe? It's much sturdier. I have found that not over tightening (especially the less expensive stands) will extend the life of the stand. But trying to record a piano with a single 57 is not going to give you the sound you may be hoping for. If that's all you have and you can't afford another mic then by all means have at it. But I'd imagine a condenser or 2 would make a world of difference.
Tobster

Post by Tobster »

Good suggestion about not over tightening on the cheaper models, I can see where that makes sense. I have been reading up and pricing mics online. Something that can fill different needs. Have not decided yet, but the front runner now is Rode NT5 matched pair.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

My best stand is a Tama one - I didn't know they made mic stands but seeing they make drums, and drum hardware it's a logical leap. Excellent piece of gear.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:57 pm
Bubba wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:53 pm Receipt says £229. Free cables, too. Great mics.
A good deal. I bought the ones we were talking about many moons back for $600AUD - I think they were relatively recently out, at the time. Had a nice hardcase and holders but no cables. I think I sold them to Richard for $450, and from memory I was thinking if my GF, who was going to England soon, could take them and post them to you from there, then that would work.

But he didn't want to sell them, and he probably wouldn't have matched the new price anyway - would only have been worth it for you it if he was going to go for $300, but no way was that going to happen ... :biggrin:

To the best of my knowledge he's still never used them!
Ah well.... perhaps one day he'll record his masterpiece with them!
Tobster wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:58 pm On the topic of mics, may I expand the thread to include mic accessories? I bought a boom type stand at GC to use with my 57 (only mic I currently own) for recording my upright piano. Not happy with it, light and cheap. Yes, it works, but I would consider an upgrade. Anyone have opinions or suggestions for mic stands you own?
K&M stands, made in Germany. Expensive but well worth the money. Every part is replaceable, also. My favourite straight stand is my Valan Atlas. Cast iron base, so-called "pneumatic" height adjustment (actually a braided metal sock inside the base part that opens up to let the stand go up but closes up to grip it and prevent it from sinking back again) -stable as anything, very good at absorbing vibration.
Tobster

Post by Tobster »

Thanks guys, I will take a close look at the Tama and K&M line. I have K&M keyboard stand from the mid 90's, it is rock solid and well built.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:25 pm Ah well.... perhaps one day he'll record his masterpiece with them!
Yup. Wasn't exactly recording anything at all last I checked. Barely playing... :biggrin:
witzendoz

Post by witzendoz »

My last 2 mic purchases were a second hand CAD Tron 8000, and a CAD TSM411, actually my 1st ever CAD mics. Sold my AKG C2000B and AT 2035 I was just not using them.

Alan.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

How about this for your mic locker: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DBLOCKER

Only $20K...I'd recommend picking up two of them, just so you have some spares ;)
rayc

Post by rayc »

I was soundly laughed at when I revealed my mics when I 1st joined HR. Hey, they were cheap, idiosyncratic and had some noise issues BUT they worked for me at the time and recorded some stuff that still holds up reasonably well. I've become boring though and just use a 57 or a e609 for cab micing now. I have 3 M diaphragm condensers for vox but rarely record those these days. I do have Naiant's MSH-4 which is a condenser with a subminiature tube, (Raytheon JAN 6418), which is cool as well as a MSH-1 which is almost the same without the tube.
They look like this
X-R-table-480-354x300.jpg
about the size of an XLR connector and without the table clip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
witzendoz

Post by witzendoz »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:45 pm How about this for your mic locker: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DBLOCKER

Only $20K...I'd recommend picking up two of them, just so you have some spares ;)
Blimey, look at the savings, or thats what my wife says when she buys something in a sale :spacepalm:

Alan.
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

Man, I got mic fever going on. I have more than I need to be honest (22).

A few months back I was offered a set of (hold your vomit) AKG C1000S's.. Originals in grey. I was offered the set NEW for $160 total so I couldn't say no.

I love my Audio Technica's and have plans for an AT4060. I also feel I might like another KSM44.

My least used mic is the classic looking Shure super 55 Deluxe. You could literally back a truck over those but they are less than desirable when it comes to how they sound. A rather ungodly mid thing goin on.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Audio Monster wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:39 pm Man, I got mic fever going on. I have more than I need to be honest (22).

A few months back I was offered a set of (hold your vomit) AKG C1000S's.. Originals in grey. I was offered the set NEW for $160 total so I couldn't say no.

I love my Audio Technica's and have plans for an AT4060. I also feel I might like another KSM44.

My least used mic is the classic looking Shure super 55 Deluxe. You could literally back a truck over those but they are less than desirable when it comes to how they sound. A rather ungodly mid thing goin on.
I have a C1000S, a few people have said they're shit but I get on with it OK. I only have 3 mics though so I just make do.

I use it as a secondary mic on my amp. It doesn't sound great and its generally very dark but I only blend a little of it in to just add a bit of fullness to my tone. I use it for acoustic guitars and it seems great for that. I think Rami uses a pair of them for drum overheads too.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Audio Monster wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:39 pm My least used mic is the classic looking Shure super 55 Deluxe. You could literally back a truck over those but they are less than desirable when it comes to how they sound. A rather ungodly mid thing goin on.
Well, those are a live mic rather than a recording mic. Our singer uses one and it's a great live mic. There must be something about the mic body and grille design that's muddying up the sound for you because the mic capsule is essentially a Beta 58 A.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:58 pm
Audio Monster wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:39 pm My least used mic is the classic looking Shure super 55 Deluxe. You could literally back a truck over those but they are less than desirable when it comes to how they sound. A rather ungodly mid thing goin on.
Well, those are a live mic rather than a recording mic. Our singer uses one and it's a great live mic. There must be something about the mic body and grille design that's muddying up the sound for you because the mic capsule is essentially a Beta 58 A.
I didn't think they came with the 58 capsule. Maybe the Deluxe does (I know they were selling one with the 58 cap in it) but I remember a couple of my friends changing out the capsule to a 58 it made an incredible difference. But as you stated, this is a live mic and not very good for recording. I've never been a fan of that style mic but they do seem to be very popular around here. I'd rather use my Beta 58 or a Samson Q7.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Bill L wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm
Bubba wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:58 pm

I didn't think they came with the 58 capsule. Maybe the Deluxe does (I know they were selling one with the 58 cap in it) but I remember a couple of my friends changing out the capsule to a 58 it made an incredible difference. But as you stated, this is a live mic and not very good for recording. I've never been a fan of that style mic but they do seem to be very popular around here. I'd rather use my Beta 58 or a Samson Q7.
Yeah, it's the Super 55 Deluxe with the supercardioid capsule. It's a different animal to the standard 55 SHII that sounds like a dog in comparison, and feeds back like hell. :crazy: