Onboard pads and HPFs on mics

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
Armistice

Onboard pads and HPFs on mics

Post by Armistice »

I've got a couple of condenser mics that have switchable pads and HPFs on them - I've never had a use for either on the mic - I can see that if you're recording really loud sources, the pad could be handy, but the HPF?

Curious as to what the HPF's purpose is on a mic- is it just to sieve out low freq rumble that you might pick up from being a bit mobile around the mic stand and stomping your feet etc. etc., or is there some other design reason for it?

Obviously we can deal with low frequencies easily enough ITB, or even coming in through the interface. Always wondered. :?
rammer24

Re: Onboard pads and HPFs on mics

Post by rammer24 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:41 pm Curious as to what the HPF's purpose is on a mic- is it just to sieve out low freq rumble that you might pick up from being a bit mobile around the mic stand and stomping your feet etc. etc.,
That's pretty much it. I've never used a pad or HPF on any of my mics. Not to say they're useless. Ive just never found a need. Like you said, you can do all that after you record. I can see the pad coming in handy at times, but I'm not recording explosions. :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Re: Onboard pads and HPFs on mics

Post by Greg_L »

I use the HPF on my drum overheads. That's it. It's barely noticeable but it does help.
Rebel Yell