N.M.D. #2

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
Greg_L

N.M.D. #2

Post by Greg_L »

Another new mic day! :lollers2:

I've actually wanted one of these for a long time. Santa gave it to me. :coolstorybro:

Senn MD421

The 57 and 421 is supposed to be a match made in speaker-miking heaven. But we shall see.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Re: N.M.D. #2

Post by Bubba »

Woohoo! I want three for my toms. :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:29 pm Woohoo! I want three for my toms. :biggrin:
Yeah that'd be nice. I'm pretty happy with my D2/D4 tom mics. They seem pretty good to me.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:55 pm
Bubba wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:29 pm Woohoo! I want three for my toms. :biggrin:
Yeah that'd be nice. I'm pretty happy with my D2/D4 tom mics. They seem pretty good to me.
I'm mostly kidding with this outrageous microphone shopping list. But I really would like to record with one of these iconic setups and hear for myself what the difference is in an amateur recording situation.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

congrats on that mic ..... it's definitely one I would want if I ever do any more recording.

Makes a great sax mic too!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:07 pm

I'm mostly kidding with this outrageous microphone shopping list. But I really would like to record with one of these iconic setups and hear for myself what the difference is in an amateur recording situation.
I dunno. I guess the 421 must be a damn good tom mic for them to have the reputation they do because they are huge and awkward mics.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:09 pm congrats on that mic ..... it's definitely one I would want if I ever do any more recording.

Makes a great sax mic too!
Thanks, I'll have to try that out. You know the Mrs_L dabbles in a little saxophoning.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

better have a second one ..... she'll take this one for her own!

I really feel it's one of the best sax mics I've used.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Hell yeah! It's about time man :)

It's a pretty sweet mic if you ask me. Surprisingly versatile for an age-old dynamic. Great low mids, nice hi mids too. I actually liked it on vocals. And my favorite distorted guitar recording that I've ever done was an md421 and an sm57 together on the same speaker on my Marshall cab. And yeah it's an ass kicker on a floor tom. I'm sure it can do all sorts of stuff that I've never tried. I've seen the Grateful Dead use them as vocal mics on stage, and broadcasters used them for handheld interview mics on television in the 70s.

It's definitely one butt ugly mic and mount though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:41 pm Hell yeah! It's about time man :)

It's a pretty sweet mic if you ask me. Surprisingly versatile for an age-old dynamic. Great low mids, nice hi mids too. I actually liked it on vocals. And my favorite distorted guitar recording that I've ever done was an md421 and an sm57 together on the same speaker on my Marshall cab. And yeah it's an ass kicker on a floor tom. I'm sure it can do all sorts of stuff that I've never tried. I've seen the Grateful Dead use them as vocal mics on stage, and broadcasters used them for handheld interview mics on television in the 70s.

It's definitely one butt ugly mic and mount though.
Awesome. Have you used the roll off at all? I'm gonna try it, but I'm wondering if it even does much of anything.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:19 pm Awesome. Have you used the roll off at all? I'm gonna try it, but I'm wondering if it even does much of anything.
Actually I haven't! I've never even touched the rolloff switch on it. I've always left it on the most "full range" setting. I'd actually forgotten that it had that switch. My guess is that it'd be boomy on a spoken word or broadcast vocal. I just rolled it off in software in post, but I should actually fiddle with that switch and see what all it does.
rayc

Post by rayc »

My long, long term Pygmy Beat colleague, (back to 85 but he hasn't recorded anything for about 5 years), has one. He bought it for sax before PB started. It is a big, awkward thing to work with but delivers some great something or other to the tone.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'd really like to try one of them but just don't think I can justify that much money on a mic. I'm generally happy with my 57/i5 blend though.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Congrats Greg!!! I'd love to have one, but it's a bit expensive for me...Throw us some clips up dude... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Thanks dudes. I'll have some clips up next week.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Santa wad kind to the music world this year haha.
:happytrees: