Lewitt Microphones

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
Tadpui

Lewitt Microphones

Post by Tadpui »

Have any of you rebels used any mics from Lewitt? I only heard about them via Warren Huart on his channel. I bought their entry-level mic for a friend for his birthday a couple of years ago, and I got to briefly use it before we got too whiskey drunk to remember which end to use. From what little I remember, I was very impressed with that mic considering its price. It had a nice smooth high end on it, not harsh like so many similar Chinese mics.

Anyways, I've been considering getting a new main vocal mic. My Avantone CV-12 is a great mic, but I'm short on power outlets in my studio and the thought of lugging it and its power supply into my tiny room and finding some place to plug it in without rewiring half of my studio to economize on plugs is cringe-inducing. And it started to get noisy the last time I used it. So I'm looking for something new and appropriate for a home studio.

I've been eyeing the Lewitt LCT-440 PURE. It's a LDC that comes in at $270, which is an attractive price point. I'm not really convinced that I need a Neumann or a Telefunken or anything, so I've been looking in that $500-ish range of mics. The LCT-440 comes in well below my budget, and I like that it's just a simple single-pattern cardioid condenser with a really neat magnetic shock mount. Like most microphones, it's tough to find any helpful reviews...it's all either "OMG BEST MIC EVER OMG OMG OMG!!!!" or "product arrived 1 day late. 1 star".

Have any of you guys gotten your hands on a Lewitt before?
Greg_L

Re: Lewitt Microphones

Post by Greg_L »

Nope, but I've read good things about them. Pull the trigger and let us know it goes.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Haha, I like the way you think :D

Most likely I'll do just that, I was just hoping that somebody had some hands-on experience that they can actually remember.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 pm Pull the trigger and let us know it goes.
OK I did :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:48 am

OK I did :D
Awesome. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Just in case anyone cares, I did pull the trigger on the Lewitt LCT 440 PURE. It's a stripped-down version of their pricier mics, yet it has the same 1" diaphragm as its bigger brothers.

I used it for a speaking voice in a video last weekend, and it was actually very nice. The low end is very linear and there is no lo-cut switch, so engaging a lo-cut on a preamp, compressor, or in software is going to be a necessity with this little guy. The high end is pretty hyped up, but not overbearing. I have a feeling that a de-esser will be necessary if this were to be used on a lead vocal in a mix. The highs are forward for sure, but not harsh like so many budget-friendly Chinese-made mics.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase so far. I've yet to sing into it or use it on acoustic guitar, but that'll be coming soon enough. I'll report back once I've had more of a chance to put it through its paces.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:22 pm Just in case anyone cares, I did pull the trigger on the Lewitt LCT 440 PURE. It's a stripped-down version of their pricier mics, yet it has the same 1" diaphragm as its bigger brothers.

I used it for a speaking voice in a video last weekend, and it was actually very nice. The low end is very linear and there is no lo-cut switch, so engaging a lo-cut on a preamp, compressor, or in software is going to be a necessity with this little guy. The high end is pretty hyped up, but not overbearing. I have a feeling that a de-esser will be necessary if this were to be used on a lead vocal in a mix. The highs are forward for sure, but not harsh like so many budget-friendly Chinese-made mics.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase so far. I've yet to sing into it or use it on acoustic guitar, but that'll be coming soon enough. I'll report back once I've had more of a chance to put it through its paces.
Nice. :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell