ISO Cab Build...suggestions/tips wanted...

DIY Studio Stuff
Minerman

Re: ISO Cab Build...suggestions/tips wanted...

Post by Minerman »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:26 am
Minerman wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:30 am

I had to take the roxul out, it was too thick /.e.t.c

/snip
With projects like this 3`s not so bad (and counting! :P ;) ) ..

kewl its in your room now,can get used to what you can stick on top of it :D (potted plant,naked lady pics,nodding dog e.t.c) ... personally i don't care how anything looks,its what it sounds like ... if someone is bothered by it they can make their build look like a Chippendale chest of drawers,and have a fake bit for nicely folded socks :D

shame about that Randall ... story sucks :( 1 thing i learned from all this play is they gotta be bigger ... and they gotta breathe ...

at some point im gonna make a 2nd box (i have a plan a guy designed for me,its like yours but ported all round,its weird,but might work?) wanna run 2 amps possibly 4 mics (i have a buddy that records pro metal bands,even his home setup has 4 ... he smells ... )
Only 3 fuck-ups is probably a damn record for me dude... :lol: The last build I really didn't give a fuck what it looked like, & it definitely showed that...hahaha...This one ain't gonna be perfect by any means, but it looks a hell of a lot better than the first, by a mile...I just figured if I was gonna build another one, I'd try to do as good a job as I could...So far, I'm pretty proud of it, but again, it ain't perfect at all...

The first build began as a big box made of a single layer of 3/4" MDF, stuffed with roxul to stick a 1x12 cab into & record...At the time, I had an Orange PPC112 & a Randall 1x12 that had dog-bone handles on top that was a bit oversized for a 1x12...It did ok, but the little cabs didn't get me where I wanted...So, I built the inner box & slapped it all together...It actually worked pretty good recording-wise, & did ok on killing the noise...It was far from being airtight/sealed, & I think that's why it sounded good, the speaker/mics could breathe a little...That was what I think was the Randall ISO's problem, it wasn't completely airtight, but was sealed enough to cause the speaker & mic to just spasm because of the air pressure on 'em...And I just did not like the way the speaker pointed straight up, I actually had a problem with my SM57 pointing down, it was farting back on itself causing issues...Greg & Antichef from the forum here figured that out for me...

So when I decided to build this one, the speaker sits like it's in a real cab, I even have about the same amount of room from the baffle to the back of the cab, trying to make this thing as close to a 4x12 as possible, but for one speaker...It's ported, but not as much as you'd think...If it sounds boxy, I can always make another port or two, but if I'd whacked out too much, well, I can't put that back...We'll see in a day or two what the verdict is on the sound, I'm kinda confident it's gonna work good, but there's also that little voice telling me "All that work & you can't stick your finger up your ass using both hands"....lol...

More to come...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

Minerman wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 am
And I just did not like the way the speaker pointed straight up, I actually had a problem with my SM57 pointing down, it was farting back on itself causing issues...Greg & Antichef from the forum here figured that out for me...
i can just about get a small 2x12 in mine ..but ! only close miked :( .. at the mo i have a strange bastartized thing i made (the ugly 12 in photo) .. and,that is pointing up,and yes i have dropped me mic`s in it once or twice :facepalm2: (im not admitting to this in public,but i holed a celestion with the corner of a sharp cornered thing i dropped :cuckoo: thats now me "the who razor blade" speaker :suspicious: ) mic = tape,the sticky kind :D ... soooooooo

wassis farting back on itself lark? have you still got any clips,need tune me lugoles to that one (maybe mines doing it????)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 am
Not sure what to ask for the cab dude, was the Carvin you bought an angled cab??? For some reason I thought it was straight...

The amount for the cab ain't the biggie for me, as it'll be empty in the next couple of days, the thing for me would be shipping the fucker...It'd be a lot easier to sell locally because of that, but it would probably be hard to find someone to buy the damn thing locally...There's no way I'm driving 3-4 hours one way to give it to Guitar Center, I don't think any of the brick/mortar shops that are any closer would bite on it, & I'm damn sure not taking it to one of the local pawn shops...

Shoot me a pm & make an offer dude, the worst I can say is no, & we'll both check into some shipping options...For one of my buddies, I'd probably be pretty cool on the shipping, but for someone I don't know, I'd probably insist they pay the shipping...Again, shoot me a pm & we'll take it from there...
Just hang on to it for now. Let me work some magic and I think I can come up with a trade offer that you can't refuse. :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

^ oooOOooo ... wonders what greg has up his sleeve :D
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:31 am Just hang on to it for now. Let me work some magic and I think I can come up with a trade offer that you can't refuse. :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
It's probably not going anywhere dude, like I said, there's nobody locally that would probably buy it & I ain't gonna give it away to the local vultures so they can make a buck...

You've got me curious, what do you have in mind dude???
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:02 pm
It's probably not going anywhere dude, like I said, there's nobody locally that would probably buy it & I ain't gonna give it away to the local vultures so they can make a buck...

I've got the wheels in motion, but I don't wanna say what it is yet cuz it might not happen. Probably won't happen, but I'm trying. I'll PM you later.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:03 pm
Minerman wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:02 pm

I've got the wheels in motion, but I don't wanna say what it is yet cuz it might not happen. Probably won't happen, but I'm trying. I'll PM you later.
ok...lemme know dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

hows it going?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:17 pm hows it going?
I should have it buttoned up in an hour or two...I know I've been sayin' this for weeks, but I just wanna make sure I don't forget or fuck anything up... :biggrin:

I had a conversation with Greg today on the phone for I guess a couple of hours, so I probably could've had it done by now, but it's pretty cool to actually talk to one of your buddies from the forum...

Patience young grasshopper... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

its kewl,don't wanna pester ....... much :D

just dyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyying to hear it,and see how your getting on .. love it :D
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:37 pm its kewl,don't wanna pester ....... much :D

just dyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyying to hear it,and see how your getting on .. love it :D
:biggrin:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:30 pm
I should have it buttoned up in an hour or two...I know I've been sayin' this for weeks, but I just wanna make sure I don't forget or fuck anything up... :biggrin:

I had a conversation with Greg today on the phone for I guess a couple of hours, so I probably could've had it done by now, but it's pretty cool to actually talk to one of your buddies from the forum...

Yeah good talk! :minernuggs:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:55 pm
Minerman wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:30 pm

Yeah good talk! :minernuggs:
You sound funny dude, I'm used to the Deliverance accent from around here... :biggrin:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 pm
You sound funny dude, I'm used to the Deliverance accent from around here... :biggrin:
I sound like someone that didn't marry his sister! :minernuggs: :wink:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:25 pm
Minerman wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 pm
I sound like someone that didn't marry his sister! :minernuggs: :wink:
:biggrin:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I told you guys I wasn't gonna post any more pics, but these will be ok...

I got tired of trying to make somewhat precise cuts with my rip saw or jigsaw, so I made my own table saw yesterday:

It looks like it'd kill everyone within a 20ft radius, but it works...I'm probably gonna re-do it before long to make it big enough for 4' x 8' stuff & have a proper on/off switch...Right now, I'm using a power strip for a kill switch... :biggrin:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

clever,i like it :D

best bit is using the old noggin to solve an immediate problem .. then just do it .. improv :like:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Almost there Tonetards... :minernuggs: :biggrin:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

wooohoooo !
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Finally, I got this motherfucker done...I do have to do a little touch up painting, & put the handles on the lids, but it's fully functional, finally...

I learned a lesson about electronic parts too, you really do get what you pay for...Out of the 4 xlr jacks I bought for the jackplate, only 2 of 'em work...I wired it up late last night & when I tried it out, it was the most awful, fizzy sounding thing I'd ever heard...At first, I thought my cab was a huge failure after almost a month of working on it & almost went into cardiac arrest again... :biggrin: Started troubleshooting & found it was the shitty xlr panel jacks I'd bought...I tried it with a known good mic cable, & it was fine...Jerked the shitty xlr jacks off the plate, put the other 2 in, & all was good...It's a good thing I ordered a couple extra...I should've known better, but that shit won't happen again due to cheap parts...

Here are some pics, I'm working on clips right now...

Outer box (the monitor on my drum rack is a 19", so you can kinda get an idea how big this thing is):

Outer latches:

Jackplate:

Outer lid Roxul panel:

Inner latches:

Inner lid panel:

Color coded mic cables & speaker:

Overall, it works pretty good so far, it's not as quiet as I'd hoped, but it still knocks off a lot of noise...I can now record with my amp about anytime I wanna, of course, if it's really late, I'll have to turn the amp down to a reasonable level, but again, it knocks off a lot of noise...

This is one heavy motherfucker, even with wheels, it's hard to roll around on carpet, but it's solid as fuck...

Tomorrow I'll do a little video showing how much noise it kills, I'm gonna try asome decibel meter software for a cellphone just to get a ballpark estimate...

My room looks like a bomb went off in here, so I've got to get this place cleaned up & organized... :lollers:

Here's a rough estimate on how much I spent to build this thing:
  • Lumber/sheetrock: $200
    Green Glue: $50
    Roxul Safe-N-Sound: $80
    Screws/bolts/etc: $30
    Wheels/jackplate/handles/etc: $50
    Paint/fabric/etc: $50
------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Total: $450
The roxul, wheels, some of the paint, & some of the lumber I already had from the previous build, so the total is a bit high for what I actually spent on this one...

It's really a big relief I got this thing done, & it works like it's supposed to...Now I can get back to my recording, I haven't picked up a guitar or drumstick since I started this thing...

Lemme know what you guys think...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH