ISO Cab Build...suggestions/tips wanted...

DIY Studio Stuff
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Re: ISO Cab Build...suggestions/tips wanted...

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

kewl as! liking the mic mount too,interested what evil deed you have in mind for mounting it :D mines on an L bracket screwed through the "soundproofing" kinda isolates it a bit ... this is my first test build made with anything i have at hand,i try any daft ideas that come to mind n it looks like a car crash :D but its teaching me a lot :)

yours looks like she`s gonna be ready for a spin round the block at the weekend ... looking forward to more pics ... and like the rest of us cant wait for clips :D \o/
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks guys, I'm heading out to piddle with this thing for a while today, I'll post some more pics later...
SweetDan wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:43 pm
Minerman wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:14 am ...The t-nuts I bought at the local hardware store aren't worth a fuck...
For future reference, indoor rock-climbing suppliers are great places to get T-nuts. For example, these guys => http://www.threeballclimbing.com/rockcl ... dware1.htm

(I'm not affiliated, w/them, but I did purchase a bunch of holds and hardware from them a few years ago when I built a short climbing wall inside my garage at the time)
Thanks Dan, but I've already went to the local store again & picked up some longer bolts & wingnuts...I'm a bit impatient right now so a 30 minute round trip is better than a few days waiting for shipping at the moment :biggrin: ...I'll keep your link for future reference though...Thanks again...
cakewalkKaKed wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 pm kewl as! liking the mic mount too,interested what evil deed you have in mind for mounting it :D mines on an L bracket screwed through the "soundproofing" kinda isolates it a bit ... this is my first test build made with anything i have at hand,i try any daft ideas that come to mind n it looks like a car crash :D but its teaching me a lot :)

yours looks like she`s gonna be ready for a spin round the block at the weekend ... looking forward to more pics ... and like the rest of us cant wait for clips :D \o/
There's a pic of the mic stand I bought a few posts up, but it's basically gonna be mounted upside down from the pic shown...Basically flipped, with a 1" rubber pad wherever it makes contact with the cab...Here's a quick pic:

The little silver circles are the knobs to lock the mic/bar in position, where the bars connect/slide, & will give me front/back/up/down adjustments...I thought mounting the stand like this would be a little more stable & still give me about as many options for mic placement...

More to come...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Pics from last night, nothing ground breaking, just a layer of burlap in the outer box, the rockwool, then another layer of burlap to try to keep the rockwool fibers at bay...

I lightly sanded the outer box's first clear coat, put another coat of clear on the outer box, did the burlap/rockwool/burlap, ran the cables for the speaker/mics, put a coat of clear on the inner box, started on the inner box's panels & mic stand mounts, along with some other piddly little things...

If nothing happens, I might have some clips up this evening, really the only "big" thing left is putting the inner box into the outer, making the lids, etc., but there are some little piddly detail things I need to button up too...

More to come... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

clipsies ... soon \o/

thanks for the pics :)
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Didn't get much done tonight, so it'll be another day or so before I'll post any clips...

I did manage to get the last clear coat on the inner box, the baffle & mic stand in, but holy fuck if it ain't been hot here the last couple of days...That's a big reason I didn't do much this evening, I about melted down just painting the inner box again...I guess I'm a pussy, but that's ok, the fuckin' central air sure felt good this evening...

Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wow, looks nice. Is that black speaker baffle ported?
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:45 am Wow, looks nice. Is that black speaker baffle ported?
Thanks dude, it should look even nicer when I get the rest of the detail work done... :smiles:

Yeah, it's ported, it has 2 - 1 1/4" holes in it, you just can't see 'em in that pic...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

i see how its mounted now ... kewl :) ..

is that speaker holder moveable? was wondering how much difference less/more air would make ... specially in a room with smaller dimensions (the inner box!) ... i started with a baffle thingy,but that soon got binned for a small cab,it was there i had to try it :D

no rush for clips my end,i can wait :) ... least a lil while :P
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:48 pm i see how its mounted now ... kewl :) ..

is that speaker holder moveable? was wondering how much difference less/more air would make ... specially in a room with smaller dimensions (the inner box!) ... i started with a baffle thingy,but that soon got binned for a small cab,it was there i had to try it :D

no rush for clips my end,i can wait :) ... least a lil while :P
Yeah dude, I can move the mic(s) front to back, up/down (individually), & somewhat side to side (also individually)...

Here's a better pic:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

ahhh yeah! thanks for that .. i did wonder about the back of the mic body catching the frame .. can see the clearance now :)
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:41 pm ahhh yeah! thanks for that .. i did wonder about the back of the mic body catching the frame .. can see the clearance now :)
I sat & racked what limited brain I have on all the possible mic placement possibilities with this stand & decided on how I've got it...Of course, I can buy another one if I need, & I've still got a little 7" boom from my last build, so I've got options...But I think what I have will be good enough...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

me too :) much posher than mine :D

looks small,but is 12"
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:29 am me too :) much posher than mine :D

looks small,but is 12"
Hey dude, as long as it works...

Here are the only pics I can find of the first iso cab I built:

I bought a Randall ISO in late 2014, but it quickly became an expensive table/shelf & I didn't keep it long...To me, it sounded terrible, & I hated the way it was made, if your mic(c) accidentally fall, they'll bust your speaker, plus for me, it's easier to get the mic where I want it with the speaker mounted horizontally...

I'm installing Superior Drummer 3, but when I get that going, I'm gonna button the rest of the iso up...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

kewl! .. your 1st go is basically mine,ive had it apart maybe 4 times ...

you installing the whole library or just the basic? .. not sure theres a huge need for surround sound :D edit : - <- scratch that! just read the toontrack thread :facepalm:
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Minerman wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:30 pm ...Here are the only pics I can find of the first iso cab...
All this talk about and pics of the new cab is really cool. However, I'm curious about what happened to the first one you built? (sorry if you already answered that elsewhere, or if it's a sensitive topic)
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

SweetDan wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:13 am All this talk about and pics of the new cab is really cool. However, I'm curious about what happened to the first one you built? (sorry if you already answered that elsewhere, or if it's a sensitive topic)
Around November 2014, I bought a Randall ISO cab, thinking it'd be just as good as the one I built...I didn't think twice about it, so I stripped everything I could use later off it (jack plate, mic stand, etc), & had a big bonfire...A few days later, when the Randall ISO arrived, I was excited, taking pics, posting 'em in our old thread (Home Recording, "The New Tone Thread"), then started making clips & that's when I realized what I'd done...

That was one of the worst purchases I've ever made, IIRC, I gave like $3-400 for it, & it ended up being a really expensive end table for a year or so...I finally sold it on Reverb, taking a loss (obviously), but getting rid of the damn thing while getting something out of it...I probably could've use it as an inner box for another build, but I don't like the way the speaker is mounted pointing straight up, too much can happen to ruin a $150 speaker because a mic fell out of it's clip or something like that...I'm not sure if I could've gotten the Randall's boxy tone out or not, I'm pretty sure it's where it was sealed & the speaker/mic couldn't move/breathe, but why take the chance??? I was sick at my stomach every time I looked at that thing... :smiles:

I probably would've gotten rid of the first build anyway, as it took me & my brother both just to lift it into a truck, almost giving us both hernias...So it all works out in the end, but knowing what I know now about the Randall ISO, I'd never, ever bought that thing...I'd thought about the Jet City, but figured it'd be the same, as it's a tad smaller than the Randall...Rivera makes one, but it's like $1000, along with a company that has "The Box of Doom" ISO cabs, but they're insanely expensive too...The Box of Doom is where I got some of my ideas for this build, which by the way, is inching closer to being finished...

Sorry for the long-ass post, maybe I'll finish the new build tomorrow, we'll see... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

A little more progress...

The cab is in the music room, I still need to make the outer lid, paint, green glue, etc., but it's almost done...

I had to take the roxul out, it was too thick, but I made a boo boo on a little vent on the inner box, & ended up taking the inner box out anyway, so it all worked out...That's only about 3 mistakes I can think of I've made on this build...This is a big reason it's took so long to get this thing done, I don't wanna fuck something up, then have to do it over, costing not only time, but $$$ too...Patience young grasshopper... :smiles:

I'm gonna sit down & tally everything up to see exactly how much I spent on this thing... :eep:

Tonight I'll assemble the inner lid (already painted, just have to green glue/screw together), make a small panel for the inner lid, weather strip the inner box, & solder the connections...
No more pics until I say I'm "done", because I want you guys to see how it looks finished...While some of you may think it looks like :shit: , I'm actually quite proud of how it looks, but that's only a small part of what I'm hoping for...

I should have some clips some time tomorrow...I know I've been saying that for a week, but again, I wanna do my best on this thing...Patience young grasshopper... :smiles:

After I finish the iso cab, I'm gonna have to find a spot to put the Marshall slant (which will be empty), & the EVH cab...I'll most likely roll the Marshall into the closet, if I can re-arrange all the shit in there, but the EVH stays in the room where I can use it if I wanna...

BTW, anyone wanna buy an empty Marshall 1960A??? It's around a 2003 or 2004, there are some nicks in the tolex, but it's a good cab, I don't think I'll need it...Then again, I might wait until I make sure this iso cab records good...I jumped the gun on the Randall ISO, & that turned out to be a disaster...So, possibly I'll have a cab for sale in the future... :biggrin:

More to come... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:30 am

BTW, anyone wanna buy an empty Marshall 1960A??? I
Dammit I would have been all over this 3 months ago.

How much you want for it? I might still want it. I've been wanting an empty A cab for a long time.
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

I had to take the roxul out, it was too thick /.e.t.c

/snip
With projects like this 3`s not so bad (and counting! :P ;) ) ..

kewl its in your room now,can get used to what you can stick on top of it :D (potted plant,naked lady pics,nodding dog e.t.c) ... personally i don't care how anything looks,its what it sounds like ... if someone is bothered by it they can make their build look like a Chippendale chest of drawers,and have a fake bit for nicely folded socks :D

shame about that Randall ... story sucks :( 1 thing i learned from all this play is they gotta be bigger ... and they gotta breathe ...

at some point im gonna make a 2nd box (i have a plan a guy designed for me,its like yours but ported all round,its weird,but might work?) wanna run 2 amps possibly 4 mics (i have a buddy that records pro metal bands,even his home setup has 4 ... he smells ... )
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:38 am

BTW, anyone wanna buy an empty Marshall 1960A??? I
Dammit I would have been all over this 3 months ago.

How much you want for it? I might still want it. I've been wanting an empty A cab for a long time.
Not sure what to ask for the cab dude, was the Carvin you bought an angled cab??? For some reason I thought it was straight...

The amount for the cab ain't the biggie for me, as it'll be empty in the next couple of days, the thing for me would be shipping the fucker...It'd be a lot easier to sell locally because of that, but it would probably be hard to find someone to buy the damn thing locally...There's no way I'm driving 3-4 hours one way to give it to Guitar Center, I don't think any of the brick/mortar shops that are any closer would bite on it, & I'm damn sure not taking it to one of the local pawn shops...

Shoot me a pm & make an offer dude, the worst I can say is no, & we'll both check into some shipping options...For one of my buddies, I'd probably be pretty cool on the shipping, but for someone I don't know, I'd probably insist they pay the shipping...Again, shoot me a pm & we'll take it from there...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH