ISO Cab Build...suggestions/tips wanted...

DIY Studio Stuff
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Re: ISO Cab Build...suggestions/tips wanted...

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 am Just out of curioisty is there a substance that exists that is the same as green glue bit is marketed differently for a different purpose.
yip,Decorators caulk ... some brands tend to shrink over time until cured (can be weeks depending on thickness) .. i have my iso box held together,and all joins sealed with it ... no idea how much better green glue would be,considering decorators caulk is around £2 a large tube in uk i wont be finding be out :D

caulk never really goes hard ...

another shortcut i used in my cab was good quality carpet underlay .. the stuff i got has a 48db "impact" rating (hit it with hammer,neighbors hear 48db less) i have 3 layers inside ... and old jumpers :D

imo,use your phone,check for those builder/joiner/carpet fitter friends .. the nice ones will give it you at trade,or those offcuts for free :)

1 thing i did notice while testing mine was to make a reflector behind the mics .. i cut the rim and top off a used trade 15 litre plastic paint tub,and stuck it in the box lid ... spreads crap away from the mic into the walls n does clean up the tone a lil ... kinda like that really expensive stage amp reflector i cant remember the name of ... erm ..... ? ...thingy .... mmmmm ....
anyhoo,the reflectors not in right now,not a lot of space at the mo :D
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Just an update, I've been working on this thing for a few days now...I'm taking my time & trying not to rush because that's when I usually fuck up...

The outer box is built, but it still needs a little more sanding & some paint, along with some small details...

I just screwed the inner box's plywood layer together, & will start on the 2nd layer on the inner box tomorrow...

Will probably finish building both lids tomorrow too, as I'm trying to get everything ready to assemble, then do the green glue thing all at one whack...

My mic stand arrived Saturday (which is about the last thing to do), but I'm still waiting on the rubber isolation pads, jack plate/connectors, & outer latches...That shit's supposed to be here Tuesday, so it'll be a few more days before I'm done...

I'll throw some pics up tomorrow...More to come...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool.
Cheers
rayc
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

kewl miner :D i bet it looks posh when its done ... mines a bloody eyesore :lollers2:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Took a few quick-n-shitty pics today, here it is in all it's glory:

Outer box:

Inner box with my old tomcat Max, doing all he can to help me:

Green glue:

Inner box w/2nd layer:

I'll need to run to the hardware store for a couple more 1" x 2" braces, but I'm waiting on the rubber de-couplers anyway, so I should get started on it again sometime tomorrow afternoon...

Gonna go over the outer box to make sure it's sealed up, then build the "labyrinth" inside it, then put the roxul in...After that the inner box can go in...

There's still quite a bit to do, but I'm making some progress...I absolutely will not rush this one because I want to do the very best I can...While the way it sounds & killing as much noise as possible are the most important things, I want this build to look as good as possible too...

More to come...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

Looks to be progressing well MM. Yep, take your time, measure twice etc.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rayc wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:17 am Looks to be progressing well MM. Yep, take your time, measure twice etc.
Thanks Ray, I've put a lot of thought into this build & hopefully a few things I've done differently this time will make a difference...

The rest of my shit I bought online came this morning, I'm about to head out to pick up a few more things I need, then get started on it again...

I still need to do a little more bracing, & put the inner box in, but after that most will be cosmetic...

More to come... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

kewl as matey !
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I got a late start on this today, but I was able to get a few small things that needed attention so I can get on with other things...

It's starting to take shape little by little, & I'm getting kinda stoked to see/hear the results, but I still need to take my time so I don't fuck something up...I'm shooting to have it finished & throw up some clips by the weekend...We'll see...

More to come...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Looks good miner. I know your behemoth iso cab worked well, so I'm expecting this one will too.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:04 am Looks good miner. I know your behemoth iso cab worked well, so I'm expecting this one will too.
Thanks man, I put a lot of thought into this build, & I've already spent probably twice as much $$$ on it as the first...The first build was a learning thing, I really didn't have an idea of what I could do with it...I've learned a lot about this since then, & I'm trying to use what I've learned toward making a better cab this time...

This build will have an actual jack plate for the speaker/mic connections, instead of just grooves where the lid sit on the box, & is sealed a hell of a lot better, everywhere I could possibly find...I'm gonna make a little door to be able to control how much air/sound leaks to see if that really makes a difference or not...It'll be almost like the comparing the Randall ISO vs. the first build, where the Randall was basically sealed, & the speaker/mic couldn't move like they're supposed to...

This cab's walls are only a 1/2" thicker total than the old one, but I did that in layers, with the green glue between each one, so in total, I have 2" of mass (not counting the 3/4" thick bracing)...

I have 7/8" thick rubber/cork/rubber anti-vibration pads between the 2 boxes, so that should help a little by not allowing as much vibration/rumbling to transfer from the inner to the outer box...

There's about a 2" gap between the boxes, filled with rockwool too, so hopefully, the extra mass, green glue, rubber pads, air gap, & rockwool will all work together to make this thing super quiet...Now I already know it's never gonna be totally silent, it's just not possible, but again, all these things combined should make a difference...

I'm hoping the smaller size with this build won't affect it any...The first build was basically 48" long x 36" tall x 30" wide...This build is 36" long x 24" tall x 24" wide...

The first build did work pretty well, & it did sound pretty good recorded, so again, I'm hoping all these things I've put into this build will make it even better...We'll see...

More to come...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

A little more progress, got a coat of paint on the outer box, letting it dry while I have a burger or two, then gonna throw another coat or 2 on...Will knock the shine off with some fine sandpaper, then wipe it down & put a couple coats of the polycrylic/clear coat on...

Here's the inner box, still some filling/sanding left to do before the paint, but it'll get the same as the outer box, at least 2 coats, lightly sanded, then at least a couple coats of clear:

"Pooper" the new addition helping out as much as he possibly can:

Here's the inner box's layers, the very inside piece around the top (and bottom) is just a 2 1/2" x 3/4" brace, the actual wall thickness is about 1/2" plywood & 1/2" drywall, with green glue in between...I did put an extra layer of plywood on the bottom to give a little more support to screw/bolt the mic stand to, would probably hold a little better than the drywall...

Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wow, very solid. I bet it's gonna work great. And be heavy as shit. :D
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

woohooo miner !!! looking good :D

best wishes :)
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:36 pm Wow, very solid. I bet it's gonna work great. And be heavy as shit. :D
Yeah, it's gonna be a heavy motherfucker, & it seems pretty solid...I was kinda iffy about the outer box's sturdiness, so I put a few extra 2 & 1/2" x 3/4" braces on the inside (before I painted it), & along the bottom/underside, then screwed 'em all together everywhere possible, but I think it'll be ok...I'm not at all worried about the inner box being sturdy, & hopefully the little extra things I've done (like the green glue & rubber anti-vibration pads) will make a difference...

I made some little feet for all sides of the inner box, & I'll have those 2" x 2" x 7/8" anti-vibration pads on all of 'em...If my measurements/calculations are right, only the anti-vibration pad "feet" of the inner box will be touching the outer box, instead of wood to wood, which will hopefully help...
cakewalkKaKed wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:09 pm woohooo miner !!! looking good :D

best wishes :)
Thanks dude!!!

A little more progress tonight...

I knocked off a little of the shine on the outer box & will throw the clear coat on tomorrow, after that, the insulation & cables will go in, which will pretty much finish the outer box, other than putting the little vent door on the bottom & the jack plate, but that won't take a couple of minutes...

The inner box is ready for paint, so I should get it put together tomorrow sometime...The paint I'm using dries really quick, hopefully the clear coat will too...Once I get the rockwool/cables in place, I can set the inner box into the outer, & screw the anti-vibration "feet" onto the inner box...

I'm making some small little 1" thick panels for the inside box, which will have a wood frame, with cloth/fabric covering 'em, that should help with the reflections, plus they should look cool too...

I still need to make both lids, but I can't really do that until I have the inner box where it needs to go...Part of the outer lid's frame will cover part of the inner lid's frame, hopefully making it look like a single box...

I'll be making some little feet for the mic stand I bought using those anti-vibration pads...I'll have the stand mounted to the inner box's frame, but will use those pads anywhere the stand will touch the box...The idea of that being the stand won't vibrate, so the mic(s) won't vibrate, in theory isolating the mics from the box...I'll be using a mic bar that's supposed to lay on top of a cab/amp, with 2 bars for a mic each, but it'll be mounted different than it's shown here, hopefully for more/better mic adjustment:

I'll take some pics showing you guys the anti-vibration "feet" & other shit tomorrow before I hide it all with the outer lid frame...

More to come...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

A happening thing.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

A little more progress, got some paint on the inner box & some clear coat on the outer...

I also finished & painted the speaker baffle today, but didn't take any pics, I'll throw those up when I get it assembled...The t-nuts I bought at the local hardware store aren't worth a fuck, I bought 8 of 'em, & only 2 of 'em actually work, the threads on the rest are fucked, so I'm just gonna use bolts, washers, & wingnuts like the last build...I thought the t-nuts would look more "commercial" or "professional", but the wingnuts will be as quick or maybe even quicker to use during a speaker swap, the up side is I won't have to use a screwdriver...Apparently, the 2 t-nuts that work were the same 2 I tried before buying, guess if I ever do that again, I'll go through every fuckin' one...Bastards... :mad3:

A little sanding on the outer box, then another coat of clear, & I'll start putting the insulation inside, then run the mic/speaker cables...

Gonna put another coat of grey on in the inner box, then a couple coats of clear...

I should have all the above done tomorrow, then put the inner box in with the anti-vibration "feet" I mentioned, to keep it in place...After that, I'll make the lids with the rest of the cosmetic shit using the dressed lumber, like the "frame" that makes it look like one box, the inner rockwool panels, & mic stand mounts...

The thing that'll take the longest now is the drying time of the clear coat, so hopefully about Wednesday, I'll have it ready to try & record some clips...

I really, really hope this thing doesn't sound like :shit: , & works at least as well as the first build...Fingers crossed, this build will surpass the behemoth in recorded sound, plus the amount of noise it's gonna kill...

I'll need you guys to help me name this fuckin' thing, I dubbed the first one "The Behemoth", but this one's a little smaller, with a lot more time, effort, thought & $$$ put into it...

It's gettin' closer...

Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

Fingers & thumbs crossed.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:14 am

I'll need you guys to help me name this fuckin' thing,
Well, it kind of reminds me of a hillbilly coffin, so "The Bubba Coffin". :minernuggs: :robus:
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Minerman wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:14 am ...The t-nuts I bought at the local hardware store aren't worth a fuck...
For future reference, indoor rock-climbing suppliers are great places to get T-nuts. For example, these guys => http://www.threeballclimbing.com/rockcl ... dware1.htm

(I'm not affiliated, w/them, but I did purchase a bunch of holds and hardware from them a few years ago when I built a short climbing wall inside my garage at the time)
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂