Foam....

DIY Studio Stuff
Greg_L

Foam....

Post by Greg_L »

I think I want some foam. I know, I know. But I have very good bass traps already. I have midrange panels and clouds. I want more high end control. Should I try some of that Auralex zig-zag foam shit?

I'm thinking I want more high end reflection control above the drum kit.
Rebel Yell
Roman

Re: Foam....

Post by Roman »

Nah! All the cool kids are using eggcrates. And for the punk rockers, painting them flat black is the way to go.

A little bit of foam wont hurt anything. Don't know if in your particular situation it will help, but it cant hurt.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I thought you were choosing birth control
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Before I knew anything about room treatment, I just stapled a couple of blankets to the ceiling, letting them sag a bit. For taming high end and some "deadening" it actually worked fine. Well, I don't know if anything about my early attempts at recording would be classified as "fine", but it seemed to work. I don't know how much worse than foam it could have been.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:06 am I thought you were choosing birth control
He's not sponge-worthy.[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/2ZNKRbYaZsw[/BBvideo]
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:21 am Before I knew anything about room treatment, I just stapled a couple of blankets to the ceiling, letting them sag a bit. For taming high end and some "deadening" it actually worked fine. Well, I don't know if anything about my early attempts at recording would be classified as "fine", but it seemed to work. I don't know how much worse than foam it could have been.
I just don't wanna be moving blanket stapled to the walls guy. I want something semi-pro and nice looking. I'm mostly looking to tame ceiling reflections. I know big heavy blankets might work, but it just looks bad.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Depends on the blankets. Get some Paisley shit, and spray the room with Patchouli. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:21 am Depends on the blankets. Get some Paisley shit, and spray the room with Patchouli. :D
And a lava lamp, afghan rug, and mood lighting?
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Now you're talking!
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:03 am I'm mostly looking to tame ceiling reflections.
I used some plain old drop-ceiling acoustic tiles...the 2' x 4' you can buy at Home Depot....you know that pressed paper shit with the cottage cheese look...but for ceilings it's OK, since no one will be leaning up against it. They even have 2' x 2' shit.

I just used some silicone adhesive caulk and stuck the sheets right to the ceiling....with the 2' x 4' you need a decent amount, and maybe use something to prop up against it for an hour if it looks like it might let loose...like a couple of mic stands with a piece of wood at the end...but mine held OK, I just ran a thick bead around the edges and then some lines across the middle.

I also trimmed mine with some "L" mouldings...but that's optional.

Does a great job on just the high end, to remove flutter echo...and you just need a sheet here and there...or cut it into 2' x 2' squares and spread a few sheets across your ceiling.
rayc

Post by rayc »

heaps of Youtbe studio builder types use that A foam for 1st reflection treatment and on the better set ups it seems to work so I reckon it'd be OK - after all the warnings we all read are about bass treatment & foam. What would Ethan say..."Although 703 and 705 fiberglass panels are more effective than foam of the same thickness, Note that foam panels sold as acoustic treatment are often sculpted for appearance, and to better absorb sound arriving at an angle. Removing some of the material reduces foam's effectiveness at low frequencies. If rigid fiberglass was compared to solid foam panels of the same thickness, the disparity in low frequency performance would likely be less. However, not having a sculpted surface would then reduce foam's absorption at higher frequencies.
Material 125 Hz 250 Hz 500 Hz 1000 Hz 2000 Hz 4000 Hz NRC
Owens-Corning 703 0.17 0.86 1.14 1.07 1.02 0.98 1.00
Owens-Corning 705-FRK 0.60 0.50 0.63 0.82 0.45 0.34 0.60
Typical sculpted acoustic foam 0.11 0.30 0.91 1.05 0.99 1.00 0.80"
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Ethan seems to agree that they do fine for high freqs.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:11 am

I used some plain old drop-ceiling acoustic tiles...the 2' x 4' you can buy at Home Depot....you know that pressed paper shit with the cottage cheese look...but for ceilings it's OK, since no one will be leaning up against it. They even have 2' x 2' shit.

I just used some silicone adhesive caulk and stuck the sheets right to the ceiling....with the 2' x 4' you need a decent amount, and maybe use something to prop up against it for an hour if it looks like it might let loose...like a couple of mic stands with a piece of wood at the end...but mine held OK, I just ran a thick bead around the edges and then some lines across the middle.

Does a great job on just the high end, to remove flutter echo...and you just need a sheet here and there...or cut it into 2' x 2' squares and spread a few sheets across your ceiling.
Damn that's a good idea. I forgot all about those things. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:23 am heaps of Youtbe studio builder types use that A foam for 1st reflection treatment and on the better set ups it seems to work so I reckon it'd be OK - after all the warnings we all read are about bass treatment & foam. What would Ethan say..."Although 703 and 705 fiberglass panels are more effective than foam of the same thickness, Note that foam panels sold as acoustic treatment are often sculpted for appearance, and to better absorb sound arriving at an angle. Removing some of the material reduces foam's effectiveness at low frequencies. If rigid fiberglass was compared to solid foam panels of the same thickness, the disparity in low frequency performance would likely be less. However, not having a sculpted surface would then reduce foam's absorption at higher frequencies.
Material 125 Hz 250 Hz 500 Hz 1000 Hz 2000 Hz 4000 Hz NRC
Owens-Corning 703 0.17 0.86 1.14 1.07 1.02 0.98 1.00
Owens-Corning 705-FRK 0.60 0.50 0.63 0.82 0.45 0.34 0.60
Typical sculpted acoustic foam 0.11 0.30 0.91 1.05 0.99 1.00 0.80"
I have a few pieces of 703 left from years ago. Maybe I'll put those to use too.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:23 am I have a few pieces of 703 left from years ago. Maybe I'll put those to use too.
I read most of the article and he said 703 is great - does top end and bottom end as well as middle depending on thickness BUT he really recommended wrapping/covering the stuff so the fibres don't get out - that would be a bigger issue if hanging above your drums because the deep thuds would move more fibres around a bit and they may get out, float down & into your eyes, ears, mouth, skin etc. That's less likely to happen if the pane is verticle I suspect.
You know what you're doing anyway Greg - some single layer wrapped 703 might be perfect - particularly as you have it on hand.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:10 am
I read most of the article and he said 703 is great - does top end and bottom end as well as middle depending on thickness BUT he really recommended wrapping/covering the stuff so the fibres don't get out - that would be a bigger issue if hanging above your drums because the deep thuds would move more fibres around a bit and they may get out, float down & into your eyes, ears, mouth, skin etc. That's less likely to happen if the pane is verticle I suspect.
You know what you're doing anyway Greg - some single layer wrapped 703 might be perfect - particularly as you have it on hand.
All of my 703 traps, gobos, and panels are wrapped in black burlap. They look like the mysterious monolith on 2001 Space Odyssey. No problem there. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

If you go with the foam, glue it to something and then hang it from the ceiling. If you glue it directly, you will need to replace the drywall on the ceiling when you decide to move or repurpose the room.

Take it from an idiot who glued a ton of it all around and had to redrywall the entire room to make it presentable.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Farview wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:53 am If you go with the foam, glue it to something and then hang it from the ceiling. If you glue it directly, you will need to replace the drywall on the ceiling when you decide to move or repurpose the room.

Take it from an idiot who glued a ton of it all around and had to redrywall the entire room to make it presentable.
Lol. I'd definitely use some type of backerboard or just thumbtack it directly to the ceiling.
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

A staple gun works better than you would think.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

miroslav wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:11 am
Greg_L wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:03 am I'm mostly looking to tame ceiling reflections.

I am going to echo miro on this one greg. If you look hard enough there are actual drop ceiling panels designed for this very purpose and in theory you can do your whole ceiling with these things. But miro's idea of staggering and spot treating with these things is really cost effective and does the the same job. I am not sure i would use silicone to adhere them directly to the ceiling, but if it works for miro ?? there should be floor joists handy that you could use a different kind of hook fastener from the ceiling or build frames for them if you were to hang them from the wall.

Those zig zag foamy panels "look cool" and do their intended job but why spend that much if you don't have to ?
:happytrees: