Foam....

DIY Studio Stuff
Greg_L

Re: Foam....

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:50 am

I am going to echo miro on this one greg. If you look hard enough there are actual drop ceiling panels designed for this very purpose and in theory you can do your whole ceiling with these things. But miro's idea of staggering and spot treating with these things is really cost effective and does the the same job. I am not sure i would use silicone to adhere them directly to the ceiling, but if it works for miro ?? there should be floor joists handy that you could use a different kind of hook fastener from the ceiling or build frames for them if you were to hang them from the wall.

Those zig zag foamy panels "look cool" and do their intended job but why spend that much if you don't have to ?
You've seen my room. It's small. I'm mostly just interested in the area around the drum kit, but I don't remember if it was set up when you were here. Oh wait, it was! We jammed a few Social D tunes. Anyway, I've since rearranged for more space/efficiency and wanna treat my ceiling better.

I'm already on board with trying the acoustic ceiling tiles. They're cheap and easy. I won't be gluing anything to any walls or ceiling. My wife would shit. I'll make frames and hang them properly.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

I have some foam "panels" which are 2'X4'X4" I believe. I installed picture hanger hooks up towards the ceiling. I used those big black spring clips, clipped the top of the panel in two places, then hung the panel by the clips onto the picture hanging hooks.

The nice thing is you can move the big clips to match where the hooks are, no glue, and easily removable.

I paneled the walls behind my mic and on both sides of my area to catch the high end reflections. Seems to do the trick.

Could use a few bass traps which I'll get someday.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

For the small amount of Auralex that I hung in my last studio, I just hung them with those T-pins. They worked well and were nearly invisible when in place. Easy to remove and they didn't leave behind much damage when removed.

I think that spit treating with foam is a good idea, once your corners and first reflection points are broadband trapped with something more capable of handling low end.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The main reason I want to go cheap, easy, and simple is that I'm actually pretty damn happy with my drum recordings. I'm always trying to improve and I feel that the past few years my drum recordings have kicked ass. So I don't wanna fuck that up. The one area I wanna tighten up is a little cymbal washiness sometimes. My cymbals kick ass but they're a bit much for this room sometimes. But I'd rather buy some cheap treatment than new cymbals just for recording. And I wanna be able to easily undo it if I don't like it. Miro's ceiling tile idea is gonna be my first shot.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:03 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:50 am

I am going to echo miro on this one greg. If you look hard enough there are actual drop ceiling panels designed for this very purpose and in theory you can do your whole ceiling with these things. But miro's idea of staggering and spot treating with these things is really cost effective and does the the same job. I am not sure i would use silicone to adhere them directly to the ceiling, but if it works for miro ?? there should be floor joists handy that you could use a different kind of hook fastener from the ceiling or build frames for them if you were to hang them from the wall.

Those zig zag foamy panels "look cool" and do their intended job but why spend that much if you don't have to ?
You've seen my room. It's small. I'm mostly just interested in the area around the drum kit, but I don't remember if it was set up when you were here. Oh wait, it was! We jammed a few Social D tunes. Anyway, I've since rearranged for more space/efficiency and wanna treat my ceiling better.

I'm already on board with trying the acoustic ceiling tiles. They're cheap and easy. I won't be gluing anything to any walls or ceiling. My wife would shit. I'll make frames and hang them properly.
Yes Yes yes. Was a good afternoon. I recall the being small, small rooms are hard. I thought you had some ceiling stuff over head that you coul move around and shit. I remember it being a busy little room, but i really don't feel it hindered your recordings at all.

I took down some 2x4 tiles out of the ceiling in a room we don't use and i hacked those up into smaller sizes, covered them in burlap and then stuck them in a pretty chintzy 2"x2" wooden frame and put them up in early reflection points. Something similar may work for around your drums?

I have pics. i'll dig them out if you were interested in seeing them.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Yes Yes yes. Was a good afternoon. I recall the being small, small rooms are hard. I thought you had some ceiling stuff over head that you coul move around and shit. I remember it being a busy little room, but i really don't feel it hindered your recordings at all.

I took down some 2x4 tiles out of the ceiling in a room we don't use and i hacked those up into smaller sizes, covered them in burlap and then stuck them in a pretty chintzy 2"x2" wooden frame and put them up in early reflection points. Something similar may work for around your drums?

I have pics. i'll dig them out if you were interested in seeing them.
I do have clouds over the drums and over the mix position. I have gobos on the walls that I can move around. I just wanna full the spaces one the upper walls and ceiling with some high end killers.

Sure put up those pics.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:50 am I am going to echo miro on this one greg. If you look hard enough there are actual drop ceiling panels designed for this very purpose and in theory you can do your whole ceiling with these things. But miro's idea of staggering and spot treating with these things is really cost effective and does the the same job. I am not sure i would use silicone to adhere them directly to the ceiling, but if it works for miro ?? there should be floor joists handy that you could use a different kind of hook fastener from the ceiling or build frames for them if you were to hang them from the wall.
I don't have a lot of ceiling height to work with...so hanging anything wasn't going to work.
The only down side of using adhesive caulk is if you plan to take them down at some point...but otherwise, it works well, it was easy do, and it does the job.

Here's a pic of what it looks like...plus I added the moulding strips to dress it up. The "L" mouldings were a bit of a PITA, because I used the same adhesive caulk, since there was nothing to nail them to, so it took some time as I had to support each strip until the caulk started to set...and I was using mic stands, and only could to a few strips at a time..two stands per strip. The smaller flat ones across the middles were simple...they held instantly with the caulk. I used them to break up the 2' X 4" sheets, to give them a nicer look.

This is just the area over my mix position...and I also added that center "cloud" section, which is a mix of absorption and diffusion ( think I have a better pic of that somewhere). I also added just the tile/moulding stuff to other parts of the studio ceiling, but there's still plenty of bare ceiling too.
IOW, it doesn't need to completely be covered to remove the flutter echo.

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Looks nice!
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

So you get your foam yet?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nope!
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

No rush.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I just got some brackets to hang mic stands from the ceiling for my overheads like liv_rong does. Then I'll probably treat around them.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Oh, I didn't know Liv did that. That sounds cool.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 pm Oh, I didn't know Liv did that. That sounds cool.
It is. I saw his a long time ago and have wanted to copy it ever since. I'm gonna put mine on drawer slides so I can move them around the ceiling.
Rebel Yell