Monitor stands

DIY Studio Stuff
liv_rong

Monitor stands

Post by liv_rong »

I wanted to use a spare 32" tv as a monitor but it wouldnt fit on my desk with my monitors on it. So I let it go for a while thinking I would eventually build some stands. Then today inspiration struck and I did it but instead of building floor stands like I imagined I just attached them to the desk. I used the same tops that I used before which were just painted step stools and then used 2x4 s and some 3/4" pine scraps I had laying around then spray painted it. I moved my little rack off the desk and now I have a ton of room and a giant computer monitor. I had to shift the desk over a little as well as the amp but I like this whole configuration.

Before:

After:

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Monitor stands

Post by WhiskeyJack »

that looks awesome liv. if i get time tonight i will Instagram that too if you are down with that.
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 6:52 pm that looks awesome liv. if i get time tonight i will Instagram that too if you are down with that.
That's cool, I have no problems with you sharing anything I post here. I have been tagging #therecordingrebels in my studio related posts on Instagram
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

You are a gentleman in the schooyard. appreciated.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

You crafty sonofabitch. I like it. I need to do something about a new desk and stands too.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:01 pm You crafty sonofabitch. I like it. I need to do something about a new desk and stands too.
Thanks man! I did the desk a few years ago, super simple and cheap. It's just cheap pine side boards, chip board plywood back and a cheap kitchen counter top from Home Depot. I think it was like $40 for the counter and that was the most expensive part of it all. Probably under $100 for the whole thing.

Building and customizing my space has been nearly as enjoyable as creating and recording the music.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Wow dude, that does look great!!! I have a pretty big desk, but I keep it cluttered with shit I need to put away/organize...

I have plans (eventually) for a 2nd monitor, using the small 19" I have now behind/around my e-kit, & getting a bigger monitor for my desk...I'd thought about mounting the bigger monitor to the wall, but may end up doing something similar so I can wheel my whole desk around, moving basically everything all at once...

Just curious, I see a Dell pc there, what are your specs dude??? I bought an Inspiron 3847 (i7-4790, 16 GB RAM, 2tb hdd) last spring & it's the best system I've ever had (the previous pc was an AMD based machine, so I'd never had anything that would compare fairly)...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Thanks! For the pc I don't remember exactly, it's about 4 years old now. I know it's an i5 processor at like 3.something gigs and like 8 gb of ram. I had my second monitor as a 40" mounted on my wall to the side for when others were over so they could see stuff. But I rarely used it. I used to play video games on it but since having kids that stopped so it barely got used. Now my plan is Toni's my old of monitor, which inthhas no is like 20-22", and mounting it on my wall near my drums so I can see what's happening. I don't need to see it sometimes it would be helpful. I was hoping I'd be able to see ok with this 32" across the room but I still can't. My eyes suck though. Now I just need a cheap wall mount.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

:minernuggs: I'd hoped a bigger monitor would help me see across the room from behind the kit, but I'd be better off with another monitor that's closer anyway...Maybe before long...

Cool setup dude...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

One thing...you should decouple the monitors from the stands, seeing how the stands are hard-connected to the desk.
Usually stands are free-standing.

The transmission of low end rumble from the monitors to the wooden stands, to the desk should be minimized.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

miroslav wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 8:24 pm One thing...you should decouple the monitors from the stands, seeing how the stands are hard-connected to the desk.
Usually stands are free-standing.

The transmission of low end rumble from the monitors to the wooden stands, to the desk should be minimized.
Yeah I've considered it in the past but never pulled the trigger. I've looked for cheap foam or something before but never found anything. Maybe some day.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:01 pm You crafty sonofabitch. I like it. I need to do something about a new desk and stands too.
Was on my list of things to do last fall. Not happening. Lol
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

This is a decent solution, Liv, and suits your DIY ethos! I myself am wanting to buy separate metal stands. Narrowly missed out on a used pair the other day.
Haggard Musician :mad:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:06 am This is a decent solution, Liv, and suits your DIY ethos! I myself am wanting to buy separate metal stands. Narrowly missed out on a used pair the other day.
I had been watching hoping one would come up used locally to make it easier on myself but nothing ever got listed. I was originally going to build floor stand too and fill the bottoms with sand. That was going to be a lot more work and money. This cost me nothing, I mean I bought the wood and paint for other projects that I already finished with but the way I see it this was free.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:06 am This is a decent solution, Liv, and suits your DIY ethos! I myself am wanting to buy separate metal stands. Narrowly missed out on a used pair the other day.
From my experience the metal stands aren't too bad. I got some a few years back out of necessity. Small desk, no room cramped apartment studio. if i had one nit about the ones i got is that they aren't really stable on a carpeted floor. Could definitely benefit from a weighted base. I would urge anyone to look into some with a weighted base.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I use metal stands. Had em for about ten years now.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:25 pm
I had been watching hoping one would come up used locally to make it easier on myself but nothing ever got listed. I was originally going to build floor stand too and fill the bottoms with sand. That was going to be a lot more work and money. This cost me nothing, I mean I bought the wood and paint for other projects that I already finished with but the way I see it this was free.
As I say, it's a great solution, but not one I dare use on my 1/2" chipboard laminate desk. :biggrin: Those HS8s weigh a lot!
Haggard Musician :mad:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Solving problems with DIY skill. Cool!
Cheers
rayc