Rebel Yell
Armistice

Re: Bubba's Cajon build

Post by Armistice »

"Bite me" - you can add it in small text under dino... :lollers:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:20 am "Bite me" - you can add it in small text under dino... :lollers:
LOL, too late to add anything now, milling is strictly an exercise in taking stuff away! :biggrin: I do wish I had left space in the top corners, though. I thought about putting a screwhead in each corner. Was going to use terminal screws off electrical plugs, drill and tap them in, then file/wet-and-dry them flush with the design.
Haggard Musician :mad:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Armistice wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:20 am "Bite me" - you can add it in small text under dino... :lollers:
Err... Mutt*Pup has that covered... :cool:

Good work Bubba... :coolstorybro:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:38 am
Err... Mutt*Pup has that covered... :cool:

Good work Bubba... :coolstorybro:
Ha ha! Yes, you do! :biggrin:

Finally finished and waxed - ready to go. :smug:
cajon brand 3.jpg
cajon brand 4.jpg
P1020092.JPG
P1020093.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Nicely done.

Feel free to mash me up a Mutt*Pup branding Iron with it though.. That would pretty cool... :coolstorybro:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Cheers, Muttley. :) If I can find a suitable bit of brass or aluminium, I might well do. Could you send me the graphic, about the size you want it?

This is a recording of the latest cajon:
Llano Acoustic Cajon solo.mp3
The recording was done using a Red 5 Audio kick drum mic on the soundhole and a Rode NT5 about 14 inches from the front head, near the top.

The isolation for eack mic was pretty damn good and eq only improved matters. The bass has a distinct hump at 100 Hz but there's enough oomph at 60 and 70 Hz to get a nice deep thud going.

One tip, if you ever record a cajon this way, make sure you flip the phase of one of the mics - you get tons more bass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

You think there's anyway you can get the snare closer? Sounds like the kick is closer than the snare. Or is that just 'cos the front mic was further away?

They're really good sounds though.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:34 pm You think there's anyway you can get the snare closer? Sounds like the kick is closer than the snare. Or is that just 'cos the front mic was further away?

They're really good sounds though.
Yes, of course - turn the front mic up a bit and take off a bit of reverb. :D How's this sound?
Llano Cajon Solo.mp3
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm in the chippie now then I'm off to watch the American football. My mate has been trying to convince me it's good for ages. Will have a listen later.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That sounds just about right to me, the snare matches the intensity of the bass and it holds together well. Its a good sound too.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

This Cajon sold this week. So I've built five, sold three, two were presents. :biggrin:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:12 am This Cajon sold this week. So I've built five, sold three, two were presents. :biggrin:
Keep building the fuckers - I'm trying to justify needing a Cajon with wifey... I'm struggling to teach her guitar though so far. She really wants to be able to play and just strum away on country chords but can't quite motivate herself to practice... even after I bought her a fucking Martin for Christmas a couple of years ago.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:27 am
Bubba wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:12 am This Cajon sold this week. So I've built five, sold three, two were presents. :biggrin:
Keep building the fuckers - I'm trying to justify needing a Cajon with wifey... I'm struggling to teach her guitar though so far. She really wants to be able to play and just strum away on country chords but can't quite motivate herself to practice... even after I bought her a fucking Martin for Christmas a couple of years ago.
After Christmas maybe - I've got loads on. :biggrin: