Bubba's Cajon build

DIY Studio Stuff
Bubba

Re: Bubba's Cajon build

Post by Bubba »

Thanks, Ray. Yes, I'm taking medicines and they appear to be picking me up a bit. :)

I'm making another Cajon. This one is slightly wider and is having a front face that leans back. I'm looking at a rosewood-stained top, bottom and sides for this one, and mounting the snare across the front head like a drum. :smiles:
Haggard Musician :mad:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Bubba wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:04 am Thanks, Ray. Yes, I'm taking medicines and they appear to be picking me up a bit. :)

I'm making another Cajon. This one is slightly wider and is having a front face that leans back. I'm looking at a rosewood-stained top, bottom and sides for this one, and mounting the snare across the front head like a drum. :smiles:
I look forward to seeing this one develop as well.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

hope you're doin' better man .....
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:04 am Thanks, Ray. Yes, I'm taking medicines and they appear to be picking me up a bit. :)

Hey bubba, it sounds cool, but i got a new computer at work and this groove music thing seems to be REALLY compressing whatever i listen to. I may have to listen tonight from home.

High five for starting a second one!! :coolstorybro:

Bubba do you have any issues with me sharing pictures of your cajon build the recording rebels Instagram ?
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Hey bubba, it sounds cool, but i got a new computer at work and this groove music thing seems to be REALLY compressing whatever i listen to. I may have to listen tonight from home.

High five for starting a second one!! :coolstorybro:

Bubba do you have any issues with me sharing pictures of your cajon build the recording rebels Instagram ?
It's not a great clip anyway, WJ. I need somebody to play them who actually has a clue. :biggrin:

I have no problem at all with you sharing my build pix. This next one will actually be my fourth! :punk:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:52 pm I have no problem at all with you sharing my build pix. This next one will actually be my fourth! :punk:
I seriously need to quit this fucking job and make more time for me and the things i want to do. You guys are all amazing and huge inspirations.

Look forward to seeing more stuff you build.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba have you any pictures of finjshed cajon?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ditto ..... I'm curious.

You should also do a dinosaur head cajon.

Hope you're feeling better nam ....
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Thanks for the interest, Bob and WJ. :biggrin: I ran into a snag with the Cajon in that I need some quality 4mm ply for the back but I can't buy small sizes, I have to buy a sheet. I'm just getting around to it. And I'm feeling a lot better, thanks.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 3:58 pm Thanks for the interest, Bob and WJ. :biggrin: I ran into a snag with the Cajon in that I need some quality 4mm ply for the back but I can't buy small sizes, I have to buy a sheet. I'm just getting around to it. And I'm feeling a lot better, thanks.
I like hearing people use millimeters. It is the little things in life.

Ok well this is good to know cause i almost smeared a bunch of cajon pics of yours on instagram the other night. Glad i didn't. I'll wait till you are done. :happytrees: :happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

My latest cajon - the one I posted about earlier. I kept it plain, but the thing sounds absolutely great. This one is sold, being picked up on Friday (or Saturday)
Cajon front.jpg
Cajon back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/HWnAjZJhfd0[/BBvideo]
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool - well done.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:14 pm Cool. I'd really like a Cajon... dunno what I want it for mind.
I have several ..... I call them storage boxes.

:wink:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Nice one Bubba. That turned out great. I dont suppose you have plans or simple dims as I'm planning on doing a couple of cajons with my boys during the summer holiday as a learning exercise for them. Would be good to build to the same plan and make some comparisons or minor changes...
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:45 am Nice one Bubba. That turned out great. I dont suppose you have plans or simple dims as I'm planning on doing a couple of cajons with my boys during the summer holiday as a learning exercise for them. Would be good to build to the same plan and make some comparisons or minor changes...
Thanks, Muttley. The standard dimensions I used on the earlier ones were 300 x 300 x 470mm, 12mm ply with a simple rebated corner joint. 3mm ply front and back with a 100mm soundhole about 2/3 down.

I'll measure this one and get back to you but I think it's 30mm wider across the playing surface and there's obviously a raked front.

So,

top = 300 D x 330 W (12mm);

bottom= 370 D x 330 W (12mm);

sides = 470 H x 300 (top edge) x 370 (bottom edge) (12mm).

back = 470 H x 330 W (3mm)

front = Measure and fit. :wink: (3mm)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very nice!
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:21 pmVery nice!
Thanks! Customer picked it up yesterday = very happy with it.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Another Cajon almost done - but this time with my custom brand! I milled it myself with a Proxxon (Dremel-type) rotary grinder out of a 2" x 2" piece of brass and heated it up on the gas ring! My bumhole was going nineteen to the dozen when I finally applied it to the instrument after loads of practice on scrap. It's very "me" don't you think? :biggrin:

I also tried a stained front - I think it has worked out great. :)
cajon brand1.jpg
cajon crop.jpg
I know the pix are crap but I'll post better ones with some shots of the branding iron!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Thats stellar bubba!!! Love it!