what do you guys think something like this is worth?

DIY Studio Stuff
liv_rong

what do you guys think something like this is worth?

Post by liv_rong »

After my last board build there was a ton of interest in my building more. Im a member of a FB group that's all about pedals and there were a lot of positive reviews of that build. So I figured I would build a couple simple ones and throw them up on Reverb and see what I could get for them and then possibly make some more along the same vein but with jacks and other cool options. I was thinking for these two $55 for the small one and $75 for the larger one, including shipping. Some of these peeps on that FB group think its a little low. What do you think? I know shipping would cost between $15-20 via USPS(based on the shipping my old board last week). The small board is 17 1/2" x 7 1/2" with walnut sides and oak top. The larger is 25" x 8 1/4" with oak sides and walnut top. Both are made with 3/4" thick wood and raise to about 2" on the back. Built using pocket screws and glue. There will be rubber feet installed on the bottom corners as well. No bottom pictures yet, the first coat of poly is drying.

Worth noting is on Reverb is a bunch of great builds with dovetails, input jacks and power plugs going for minimum $200. There is also some cheaper looking ones made of raw pine with screws showing and velcro installed going for just shy of what I was thinking. I fell like Im kind of in the middle here just considering build quality and materials.
JD01

Re: what do you guys think something like this is worth?

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I think you're under pricing it. Think what a pedal train goes for. You're happy that your stuff is the same size and better quality? Match them on price.

If this takes off, how many can you build in a day, how many could you be arsed to build in a day, how many do you need to build in a day.

I think your boards are ace, I'd buy one if you lived in the U.K.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:45 pm Yeah, I think you're under pricing it. Think what a pedal train goes for. You're happy that your stuff is the same size and better quality? Match them on price.

If this takes off, how many can you build in a day, how many could you be arsed to build in a day, how many do you need to build in a day.

Thanks man! The thing about Pedaltrains is they come with a case, I cant do that. But they are boring too, so maybe mine not having a case outweighs that?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:48 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:45 pm Yeah, I think you're under pricing it. Think what a pedal train goes for. You're happy that your stuff is the same size and better quality? Match them on price.

Thanks man! The thing about Pedaltrains is they come with a case, I cant do that. But they are boring too, so maybe mine not having a case outweighs that?
People would want cases for live use. You'll have to give that some thought, just think about your costs and margins though. You want to be making at least 30% on each one once you've built it and shipped it, which is fine if you just want to earn some beer tokens. If you want to make a business you're gonna have to do better than that though or you'll have to build millions of them!! But then the more you build you'll increase your margin cos you'll be getting the materials in bulk.

Can you find some sort of padded bag available at about the right size?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I don't think you're underpricing. I think your pricing is pretty spot on. Compare it to a Pedal Train....made of aluminum, light, strong, gig-worthy, and comes in a road case or gig bag. That's pretty much the "standard" these days.

So what does yours offer that's better? It looks great, for sure. Looks way better than a Pedal Train. Is it as durable or as gig-ready? Probably not. Now, not everyone gigs, so yours is probably very appealing to the home guitarist/studio guy that wants nice looking stuff to go with his lava lamps, afghan rugs, hardwood floors, and track lighting. So maybe you can charge more for it's nice wooden looks.

But ultimately, what's your break-even price? Whatever that is, double it and try for fat profits!
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Yeah, its definitely geared more towards the home/studio guy. But I do think it would be gig worthy, as far as not breaking goes at least. These things are strong as fuck, however the finish will get scratched. The thing is the materials are not that much, but the time to make them is a lot, plus shipping is expensive, so there isnt too much "profit" to be made after my time is factored in. Im really just trying to make and sell some nice looking boards that can help me finance future gear purchases. Im not trying to make a real business out of it but I would like to consistently sell boards on Reverb or Ebay.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Can you find some sort of padded bag available at about the right size?
Yes, if I can sell a few of these and make some money then Ill definitely go this route as another option to buyers. There are a few companies that make affordable padded bags in various sizes that I could include. Obviously I wouldnt make any money on those but if they are included in the price it would sweeten the deal for potential buyers.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:27 pm Yeah, its definitely geared more towards the home/studio guy. But I do think it would be gig worthy, as far as not breaking goes at least. These things are strong as fuck, however the finish will get scratched. The thing is the materials are not that much, but the time to make them is a lot, plus shipping is expensive, so there isnt too much "profit" to be made after my time is factored in. Im really just trying to make and sell some nice looking boards that can help me finance future gear purchases. Im not trying to make a real business out of it but I would like to consistently sell boards on Reverb or Ebay.
Right, I'm sure it's strong enough. I'm just thinking of, like you said, beating it all up and portability. The home studio guy wouldn't care about that, and they overpay for everything anyway, so aim high!
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

The small one just sold, had it listed for 3 hours. I had it listed for $55 + free shipping and someone offered $50.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Cool. Congrats. :)
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Nice! I bet that if you keep posting them for sale, you'll end up on one of Reverb's hand-picked lists. They love hand-made stuff, and tend to feature nice looking custom stuff on their spotlight categories.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Liv, its nice gear. And for people like me that record in their family living room and gig once in a blue moon its an ideal peice of kit.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice looking wood pedal board - home studio semi perm set up.
Live ring - light weight and boxed is the go I'd imagine.
Your demographic is specific but fairly large I'd suspect.
Freight by weight won't be great mate.
My pedal board is a slide out draw in a wooden cabinet - I don't actually stomp on any boxes so what I have works for me.
Cheers
rayc
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

The second one hasnt sold yet and I dropped the price down to $55.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

For us non-gigging guys, that board is ideal for the basement. Nice design, looks classy....
$55 - that's a steal!!!
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Sold the bigger one on Craigslist for $40, so still did ok considering what shipping costs. Going to plan another design, probably on the smaller side, and see how it does. Maybe make make like 4-5. Just gotta figure out good dimensions and compare to some other popular board sizes. May even try to find a cheap case to pair with a couple and see how those do.