Diffusers

DIY Studio Stuff
Greg_L

Diffusers

Post by Greg_L »

I'm thinking about making some diffusers. Or is it diffusors? I don't know. Anyway, I had no idea there was so much formula and math to a diffuser. I ignorantly just assumed it was a panel with cells of random depths to break up the sound reflections. Well, yeah, they break up reflections, but the cells are far from random.

Anyway, I downloaded some seemingly easy to follow plans from here:
http://arqen.com/sound-diffusers/

Now I just need to get off my ass and build them.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Re: Diffusers

Post by ido1957 »

Cool site and designs - lots of work but I've read diffusers are as good or better than "panels".
Those dead quiet make you insane rooms have diffusers of some kind.

Mike put diffusers all around his room and it's now dead quiet. Big improvement. BUT they were prefab 4" foam so no building.
Not wooden but it does reduce the higher reflections.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg, thats wild man. I started making some QRD Diffusers over the holidays. I'm half way there. What a great start to the DIY thread! Awesome!
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

trradmin wrote:Greg, thats wild man. I started making some QRD Diffusers over the holidays. I'm half way there. What a great start to the DIY thread! Awesome!
Are QRDs the ones with millions of little blocks? If so, you crazy. :D
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Yes. :( It is. And i foolishly stained the 2"x2" lengths of wood and thought i'd sand the tips of each piece to make the grain look pretty. I've made enough for a 2'x4' panel

i am really regretting those decisions.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

trradmin wrote:Yes. :( It is. And i foolishly stained the 2"x2" lengths of wood and thought i'd sand the tips of each piece to make the grain look pretty. I've made enough for a 2'x4' panel

i am really regretting those decisions.
I looked at those and I was like "no fucking way". Lol. I'll be doing good to just build the basic vertical cell plans.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Shan...is this what you are going for? :P

I built a couple of vertical diffuser strips a long time ago when I first set up my studio, and place them on the wall behind me...in-between some 2'x4'traps....so it's like: trap...diffuser...trap...diffuser...trap.
At that time, I just went with my own common sense design...I didn't follow any acoustics math. I just got some 2", 4" and 6" wood strips/planks...and then mounted them vertically on their edges, on another wood plank....painted them and hung them on the wall.
They look great...but fuck if I know if they do all that good diffusion stuff. :D
I'm sure they help break up the sound waves...but probably not as well and as diffused as the more scientific/math diffusers.

You can by a lot of them ready-made now...so unless you are really into the carpentry thing...it's quick and relatively affordable.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product-cat ... -products/
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Yea miro that's the idea. It is a really fucking extreme example of what i am doing but that is the jist. I'm just putting a 2x4 diffuser on the wall behind my desk. I did some reading and of course there is a certain sceince to QRD diffusion Re: your room size, monitor size set up etc etc .

I said fuck that noise found a small basic template for basic mathematical diffusion and went with that. made it time's two because that recipe was for a 2x2 panel.

Who ever built that room you posted, Likely hung themselves from the rafters after they finished.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

That's George Massenburg's room at Blackbird Studios in Nashville...it's some serious shit.
George is a major audio dude. He''s the guy behind GML audio products...also some serious shit.

http://www2.digidesign.com/digizine/dz_ ... &navid=907
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I have zero doubt that room is the bees knees. I would still hate to have been the contractor that had to build that diffusion system.
bulls hit

Post by bulls hit »

I didn't know there was so much maths and science to these. I just built a couple out of offcuts I had left over from a couple of decks, glued them to sheets of plywood and spray painted them black. They must be better than just a flat wall. Plus they look cool. However my tennis elbow took a hit from all the sawing
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

bulls hit wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:31 am However my tennis elbow took a hit from all the sawing
Two words...

Power tools. :D
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

bulls hit wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:31 am I didn't know there was so much maths and science to these. I just built a couple out of offcuts I had left over from a couple of decks, glued them to sheets of plywood and spray painted them black. They must be better than just a flat wall. Plus they look cool. However my tennis elbow took a hit from all the sawing
When i first went looking into it i was like, "Oh wow cool that thing would look so cool in my room i'll just glue all this shit together and it'll be badass"

then i internetted. I was wrong. I found some old mans blog and he would take my rooms mesaurements and stuff and he'd math out the proper pattern, amount and placement for my diffusers.

In the end i just found a random pattern on google image search and said "There, i'll build this one idgaf"
rayc

Post by rayc »

OR you can do the super lazy/easy/cheap thing and line the walls with book and CD cases, then fill the cases with books and CD THEN apply a bit of maths or just randomness to have books/CDs further in/out etc. (as described in Shann's diagram). It's not perfect but it does break up the standing waves.
That was the option I took after doing some reading and having a LOT of books (wife was a librarian & I was a teacher) plus oodles of CDs.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:40 am OR you can do the super lazy/easy/cheap thing and line the walls with book and CD cases, then fill the cases with books and CD THEN apply a bit of maths or just randomness to have books/CDs further in/out etc. (as described in Shann's diagram). It's not perfect but it does break up the standing waves.
That was the option I took after doing some reading and having a LOT of books (wife was a librarian & I was a teacher) plus oodles of CDs.
That is actually brilliant. I may still do that once i finish that stupid project.

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I have enough books to maybe fill a shoebox.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:01 pm I have enough books to maybe fill a shoebox.
Do Archie comics count though?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Do Archie comics count though?
I hope so.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

productive weekend here in Canada, Family day weekend and what not. (not so much music stuff, but i am sitting down to play some guits and work on some drums and stuff in the next few mins) Yesterday i spent the entire day (re)organizing my garage. First thing i had to nail down was to finish prepping these lil beauties of life sucking time. I better notice a god dam difference when it is all done.

Finished just sanding off the ends of all of them. decided against adding a bit of extra stain to the tips because fuck that foreverness. I just chucked em all in a box and brought them in the house to acclimatize.

Tonight i'll set about the task of gluing these buggers in place. I figure i'll just stick them on a piece of 1/4" Plywood i have laying about and call it a fucking day. :sherlock: :sherlock: :happytrees:

JD01

Post by JD01 »

That confused me then for a minute. I thought that was a picture of boxes of wood stuck to the wall at really weird angles